LENNON WYLIE
Belfast street directories
home
   -   WW1 & WW2 Stuff   -   Genealogy Links
Please sign my Guestbook 


please donate

http:--www.lennonwylie.co.uk
 
1861 Belfast / Ulster Street Directory

1805 - 1806 - 1807 - 1808 - 1819 - 1843 - 1852 - 1861 - 1877 - 1880 - 1901 - 1907 - 1908 - 1910 - 1918   street directories
1913 Tel. directory     1824 Pigots (Belfast)  &  (Bangor)    1894 Waterford Directory     1898 Newry Directory

 

BSD Index

email any queries titled 'Good Luck' to   meems@marylennon.co.uk

PROVINCIAL TOWNS
________________________________

previous -  (A's)   (B's)  (C's)  (D's)  (E thru K)  (L's)  (M's)    next   (OPR)  (STW)

Newcastle   Newry   Newtownards

NEWCASTLE

Newcastle, a small seaport town in County Down, about twenty six miles from Belfast and three from Castlewellan, situated on the shore of Dundrum Bay.  It is resorted to by many respectable families in the Summer, as a bathing place.  There are several large and handsome private dwellings, and numerous well furnished lodging houses, hot, cold and shower baths, and a handsome hotel built by Earl Annesley.  The Earl's marine residence is Donard Lodge, laid out with great taste, and near it is a chalybeate spa. to which the public have access.  The Slieve Donard mountain, at the foot of which is the Lodge, rises to the height of 3,000 feet above the sea.  The places of worship in the town are the Episcopalian chapel of ease, a handsome building, a Presbyterian church, and a chapel for Wesleyan Methodists, a Roman Catholic chapel has been erected.  There are male and female and infant schools, supported principally by the Earl and Countess Annesley.  The population of the town in 1851 was 1,200.

Post-Office - John Hyland, postmaster.  Letters from all parts arrive (by foot post from Castlewellan) every morning at 7.30 and are despatched every evening at 4.30.
Coast Guard - C. Ridge, R.N., inspecting commander.
Constabulary Station - Francis W. Janns, sub inspector.
Episcopal Chapel - Rev. William R. Slacke, A.B., incumbent.
Presbyterian Church - Rev. Samuel J. Smith, minister.
Wesleyan Methodist Chapel - Ministers, various.
Endowed School - John Dudley, master ; Mary Dudley, mistress.
Licensed Cars - John Lowry, John Smith, Robert Lowry, Rock ; Robert Thornton, Alexander Douglass, John McCracken, Thomas Scott.

Gentry, Clergy &c.

Annesley, Countess of, Donard Lodge.
Beers, Wm., Brook Cottage.
Clarendon, Samuel, surgeon.
Creery, Mrs. Mary, Mountain Villa.
Fletcher, Wm., Chapel Lodge.
Goslin, Lieutenant, R.N., coast guard officer.
Hanna, Rev. Hugh, P.P., Earlsdale
Johnston, Miss M., Bayview Lodge.
Janns, Francis Wm., S.I.
Johnston, Captain.
Keown, Mrs. Isabella, Tollymore House.
McCreight, Miss Maria, Tollymore House.
Martin, Henry.
Martin, Mrs. James.
Murphy, David.
Moore, Rev. J. R., Armitage House.
Rea, Captain , Ashleigh.
Slacke, Rev. Wm., Newcastle.
Smith, Rev. Samuel J.
Steele, Wm., Rock Cottage.
Stewart, Major Donald, Mansion House, Tollymore.
Tate, Mrs., Armitage House.
Waring, Wm., Carryard Cottage.

Traders &c.

Barry, M., grocer.
Barry, Ellen, haberdasher.
Broadford, James, grocer.
Canaway, Wm., carpenter.
Caughey, Hugh, baker.
Coulter, Edward, painter and house decorator.
Collins, Daniel, baker, grocer and provision dealer.
Ferguson, Wm., carpenter &c.
Ferrol, the Misses, dress makers.
Gray, Robert, tailor.
Green, Michael, boot and shoe maker.
Hyland, John, postmaster.
Jordan, Wm., grocer and provision dealer.
Lineghan, Wm., shoe maker.
Laws, Wm., grocer.
Lowry, Robert, spirit dealer.
Macken, Mary, grocer and provision dealer.
Mahood, James, carpenter.
Matier, Wm., grocer and provision dealer.
Millis, Robert, spirit dealer.
Mulligan, George.
McClelland, John, painter and house decorator.
McCracken, John, grocer and provision dealer.
McGrady, Peter, boot and shoe maker.
McKee, Robert, hotel keeper.
McKibben, Ann Jane, dress maker.
McNally, Patrick, boot and shoe maker.
Rodgers, Charles, blacksmith.
Scott, Thomas, Annesley Arms Hotel.
Shallow, Miss, haberdasher.
Sloan, Armstrong, plasterer.
Smyth, Edward, tailor.
Stewart, Margaret, dress maker.
Ward, John, butcher.
Westerman, James, grocer and provision dealer.

                                    NEWRY                  back to top

Newry, is an extensive market town and Parliamentary borough, in Down and Armagh counties, fifty miles N. by Dublin, and thirty from Belfast; comprising within the Parliamentary boundary 2,543 acres, of which 629 are in the town, and 1,914 in the rural district; population in 1841, 13,277 inhabitants; population in 1851, 13,491 inhabitants; number of houses, 1,976.  It is situated near the mouth of the Newry Water, which discharges itself into Carlingford Bay, five miles from the town.  There are eight bridges, four of which are stone, and cross the river which separates the counties of Armagh and Down; the others are iron and wooden drawbridges across the canal.  Newry is a very ancient town.  In 1175 Maurice McLoughlin, King of Ireland, founded an abbey here, to which great immunities and endowments were granted, and afterwards confirmed by Hugh de Lacy, Earl of Ulster, in 1237.  The abbot exercised Episcopal jurisdiction over the lordships of Newry and Mourne, which authority is now enjoyed by the trustees of the late lay proprietor ( Earl Kilmorey ), who, among other privileges, grants marriage licenses, and transacts the usual business of an ecclesiastical court in Ireland.  They appoint a vicar to discharge the ministerial duties, and as by virtue of the patent they enjoy all Episcopal powers which can be possibly vested in a layman, the vicar is responsible for his conduct to them alone, and is not amenable to either bishop or primate.  No writs can be served by the sheriff within the limits of the jurisdiction without ( if the right were insisted on ) their concurrence.  The trustees, by virtue of this patent, are entitled to the tithes of the lordship of Newry, and have the right of presentation to the rectory of Mourne.  In 1543 the abbey was converted into a collegiate church for secular priests by Henry VIII., but it was totally dissolved by Edward VI., and all its appurtenances granted to Sir Nicholas Bagnal, Marshall of Ireland, who converted the abbey into a private residence, built some strong castles, repaired the town, and thus laid the foundation of its subsequent increase.  The abbey territory included not only the lordship of Newry, but also the manor of Mourne ( or Morne ), and it was long enjoyed by the descendants of Sir Nicholas Bagnal, but at length became the joint property of two ladies, one of whom carried the lordship of Newry to the family of Needham, and the other the manor of Mourne to the ancestor of the Marquis of Anglesey.  A celebrated rath, with a large platform formed on its summit, marks the mutual boundaries of the town properties, about a mile from Newry.  In 1689 the Duke of Berwick, to secure his retreat to Dundalk from the English forces, under the command of the Duke of Schomberg, set fire to Newry, and left it in a very destitute and ruinous condition.  The Northern entrance of the town is adorned with a chaste and elegant obelisk of chiselled granite, erected in honour of the late highly respected and generally lamented Trevor Corry, Esq., a favourite magistrate for many years.  The Corry Arms, beautifully executed on Portland stone, appear on the North and South recesses, and eulogistic inscriptions on black marble are executed on the West and East sides of the monument.  Immediately opposite is a neat, capacious edifice, known as the Orange Hall, erected by the Orangemen of the district, on a site granted by the Marquis of Downshire, in which the meetings of that body are usually held.  The public buildings are, two Protestant churches ( one of which was erected as far back as the reign of Elizabeth ), four Presbyterian churches ( two of them connected with the General Assembly ), three Methodist chapels, one Independent chapel, and two Roman Catholic chapels, two convents, two court houses, two bridewells, custom house, market house, union workhouse, scriptural schools, freemason hall, national model school, fever hospital, Bank of Ireland, savings' bank, and barracks.  In the ground in front of the savings' bank is placed a large Russian gun, beautifully mounted, as a memorial to the Newry heroes who fell in the Crimea.  The town is handsome, and well built of stone, the streets are regular and compact, and the shops neatly fitted up, and lighted with gas.  Extensive water and gas works have been erected.  Along the quays are large and well built warehouses, there are several corn and flour mills, a brewery, ten tan yards, one distillery ( not now at work ), three coach and car manufactories, iron and brass foundries, and spade and shovel manufactories.  The other manufactories are linen, yarn, cotton, salt, iron, glass, cordage &c.  The lordship, extending over 17,054 acres, is an exempt jurisdiction, both ecclesiastical and civil.  Quarter sessions are held here, as also in Ballybot, for a portion of the County Armagh.  The paving, lighting and cleansing of the streets are vested in twenty one commissioners.  The fairs are on 24th April and 29th October, and there is a fair on the first Monday, monthly, in that portion of the town, in the County of Armagh, called Ballybot ; markets on Tuesdays, Thursdays and Saturdays, all toll free.  The borough returns one member to Parliament, constituency, under 13 and 14 Vic. cap. 60, in 1857, 510,  The Bank of Ireland, the Belfast Banking Company and the Provincial Bank have branches here.  There is also a savings' bank, which was established in 1821, together with a penny savings' bank, which was inaugurated under the auspices of the Protestant clergymen, assisted by a number of philanthropic laymen of the town, for the purpose of encouraging the working classes to save their hard earned wages for the dire necessities of a future day.  The union workhouse was opened on 16th December, 1841.  There are two constabulary stations, the County Down side belonging to the Rathfriland district, and the Armagh side to Ballybot.  The port admits vessels of 1,000 tons to Warrenpoint, five miles from the town, where the larger vessels remain, but those drawing fifteen feet of water can go up by the ship canal to the Albert Basin, Newry.  Barges ply by the Newry Canal Navigation to Lough Neagh, thirty two miles distant inland.  The Newry Navigation Company have the management of the port and canal, the latter of which extends along the West side of the river.  Steam boats regularly sail to Liverpool - one from Albert Basin, Newry, belonging to the Newry Steam Packet Company, the other belonging to the Dundalk Steam Packet Company, and one steamer sails from Newry to Glasgow every week.  The Belfast Junction Railway, passes convenient to the town, and at Goragh Wood is joined by the Newry and Armagh line branch into Newry, and thus the communication by railway between Newry, Dublin and Belfast is completed to Warrenpoint.  The principal exports are linen cloth, grain, provisions, cattle, eggs and butter.

Member for the Borough - Peter Quinn, M.P., The Agency, Poyntzpass.
Seneschal - Richard Waring, J.P.
Town Commissioners - Meet every Monday at their office, Hill Street.  Members - Hugh Dalzell, Denis Maguire, J.P., Wm. Henry, Jos. Loughran, James McGeorge, Jas. McMahon, James Glenny, Robert Stewart, Joseph Lupton, Henry W. Wallace, Andrew Jennings, Hugh J. Wallace, Jas. L. Carvill, James W. Greer, Edward A. Maginnis, George McCracken, Peter Murphy, William McCulla, Robert McBlain, Robert Glenny, Arthur J. Small, John Treanor, clerk.
Local Magistrates - James L. McCance, R.M.; Major Waring, Thomas G. Henry, Isaac Corry, D.L., Denis Maguire, Hill Irvine, Denis C. Brady, Wm. Black.
A Police Court is held every morning at the Post Office, Hill Street.  The Petty Sessions are held every Friday in the Court House, Trevor Hill.  Clerk, I. Parsons, solicitor.
Consuls - The Netherlands, Hugh Dalzell ; Sweden and Norway, Richard George Guy ; United States, W. B. Glenny ; Spain, Rowan McNaghten.
County Down Bridewell, Kilmorey Street - John Matthews, keeper.
County Armagh (Ballybot) Bridewell - James Craig, keeper.
Sessions' House, Trevor Hill - Isaac Parsons, clerk of Petty Sessions.
Constabulary Barracks - County Armagh side, Corry Square ; Down side, Hyde Terrace - Thomas Armstrong, sub inspector.
Military Barracks, Canal Quay - Barrack sergeant, Mr. Elliott.
Custom House, Merchants' Quay - Edgar Pagdon, collector ; C. Gill, comptroller ; Joseph V, Grafton, clerk ; John J. Moutray, searcher, measurer, tide surveyor &c.; John Neylan, tide surveyor at Warrenpoint.
Excise Office, Downshire Place - John Terry, collector ; J. Beattie, supervisor.
Income Tax Office, Downshire Road - H. H. Rugeley, surveyor ; P. H. Crangle, clerk.
Coroners - For the Newry division of County Down, George Tyrell, M.D., Banbridge.  For the Ballybot division of County Armagh, J. M. Magee, solicitor, Newry.
Registrar of Marriages - William Henry, Southwark, Newry.
Distributor of Stamps - Andrew Jennings, North Street.
Notaries Public - H. Boyd, and Robert Ross Todd.
Paymaster of Out-Pensioners - Lieutenant Colonel J. Stuart, half-pay 84th Foot.
Post Office, Hill Street - Jas. Wilson, postmaster.
Gas Works, Kilmorey Street - Jas. Gordon, secretary ; Wm. Doyle, collector &c.
Water Works Office, Kilmorey Street - James Fegan, secretary.
Navigation Office, Needham Bridge - R. Austin Plunkett, secretary.
Banks - Bank of Ireland, Trevor Hill, Francis Horner, agent - Belfast Bank, Trevor Hill, James McFarland, jun, manager - Provincial Bank of Ireland, Hill Street, William McCullough, manager - Savings' Bank, Sugar Island, Rev. Henry Alexander, secretary, Jas. Glenny and A. Little, actuaries.
Union Workhouse, Monaghan Road - James Smith, master ; Miss McCormick, matron ; Joseph Bell, clerk - Guardians meet every Saturday.
Fever Hospital, Windsor Hill - Dr. Morrison, medical attendant.
Newry and Crobane Dispensary, The Mall - T. H. Black, surgeon and R. Johnston, M.D., medical officers.
St. Mary's Parish Church, Hill Street - Very Rev. D. Bagot, Dean of Dromore, and Vicar General of Newry and Mourne, vicar ; Rev. W. R. Williams, curate.
St. Patrick's Church, High Street - Rev. Francis King, A.B., chaplain ; Rev. O. Fletcher, curate.
First Presbyterian Church (Unitarian), Needham Place - Rev. H. Alexander.
Second Presbyterian Church, Sandys Street - Rev. J. Moran, minister.
Third Presbyterian Church, Downshire Road - Rev. John Dodd, minister.
Covenanters' Meeting House, High Street - Rev. Robert Wallace, minister.
Independent Chapel, Trevor Hill - minister retired.
Wesleyan Chapel, Sandys Street - Rev. Messrs. Quarry and Johnston.
Primitive Wesleyan Methodist Chapel, Kilmorey Street - Rev. Mr. Wilson.
Roman Catholic (St. Patrick's) Cathedral, Hill Street - Right Rev. Dr. Leahy, bishop ; Rev. Patrick O'Neill, administrator.
Convent of St. Clare, High Street.
Collegiate School, Corry Square - H. A. Patterson, master.
Scriptural Schools, Downshire Road - Mr. Carter, master ; Mrs. White, mistress.
Ragged School, held in the market house.
Windsor Hill National School - Mr. Nesbit, master ; Miss Furly, mistress.
National Model School, Catherine Street - Mr. Wallace, master ; Miss McQuillan and Mrs. Glenny, mistresses.
Infant School, High Street - Mrs. McGovern, mistress.
Public News, Reading and Assembly Rooms, Hill Street.
Mechanics' Institute, Savings' Bank, Sugar Island.
Newry Commercial Telegraph - On Tuesday, Thursday and Saturday, price, stamped, 3d.; unstamped, 2d.; James Henderson, proprietor, George Henderson, editor.
Newry Examiner (printed in Dundalk) - Wednesday and Saturday ; Patrick Dowdall, proprietor.
Newry Herald - Wednesday and Saturday ; William Hutchison, proprietor and editor.
Victoria and Commercial Hotel, Hill Street - John A. Dransfield.
Imperial Hotel, Marcus Square - Mrs. Halligan, proprietress.
Whitecross Hotel, Margaret Street - Francis Daly, proprietor.

Gentry &c.

Armstrong, Thomas, sub inspector, Corry Square.
Atkins, Mrs. Elizabeth, Canal Street.
Brady, Denis C., J.P., Bridge Street.
Brown, Mrs., Marcus Square.
Carter, Misses Mary and Charlotte.
Close, Colonel, Drumbanagher Castle.
Colvin, James, 7 Kilmorey Street.
Corry, Isaac, D.L., J.P., Abbey Yard.
Coulter, Richard, Carnmeen House.
Courtenay, Mrs., Downshire Road.
Creek, Mrs., Downshire Road.
Crozier, Miss Eliza, Canal Street.
Ellis, John, Crieve.
Erskine, Dr., Trevor Hill.
Erskine, James, Canal Street.
Fleming, Mrs., Windsor Hill.
Gray, George, Eden.
Gray, Mrs., Kilmorey Street.
Glenny, Mrs. Joseph, Marcus Square.
Gordon, John, Sheepbridge.
Gordon, Mrs. George, Maryvale.
Greer, Edward, Ivy Lodge.
Greer, James, New Street.
Henderson, George, Emyville.
Henderson, James, Albert Place, Warrenpoint.
Henry, Thomas G., J.P., Mill Street and The Abbey, Kilkeel.
Henry, William, Southwark.
Irvine, Hill, J.P., Dromalane.
Jefferson, Miss Dorothea, Canal Street.
Johnston, Dr., Hill Street.
King, Thomas, Marcus Square.
MacMahon, James, Bellevue.
Maguire, Denis, J.P., Bridge Street.
Martin, James, Longhorne.
Mollan, Mrs. Elizabeth, New Street.
Moore, Miss Margaret, Canal Street.
McBlain, Mrs., Hill Street.
McCance, J. L., R.M., Downshire Road.
McCracken, Robert, Abbey Yard.
McCullough, Wm., Hill Street.
McWatty, J., Mountkearney.
Newell, Mrs., Downshire Road.
Ogle, Francis Hutcheson, Ashton.
Parsons, Samuel, Templegowran.
Peacock, Miss, 9 Hill Street.
Quinn, Peter, J.P., Drumbanagher.
Rugeley, H. H., Downshire Road.
Seaver, Mrs., Downshire Road.
Shields, Mrs., Corry Square.
Steiglitz, Baron Von, The Glen.
Stevenson, Hugh, New Street.
Stuart, Colonel, Barrack Street.
Terry, John, Downshire Place.
Thompson, Miss Jane S., Canal Street.
Thompson, Mrs. Ross, Greenwood Park.
Thompson, Mrs. Wm. N., Collector's Open.
Thomson, Henry, Downshire House.
Todd, Mrs. Martha, Windsor Hill.
Todd, R. Ross, Belmont Terrace.
Turner, Edward, Queen Street.
Waring, Henry, J.P., Trevor Hill.
Waring, Richard, J.P., Trevor Hill.
White, John, J.P., Divernagh.
Wilson, Mrs. Ann, Sugarhouse Quay.
Woods, Mrs., Trevor Hill.

Clergy and Professional

Alexander, Rev. Henry, The Manse.
Bagot, Very Rev. Daniel, Dean of Dromore &c., Abbey Yard.
Black, Thomas H., surgeon and apothecary, 73 Hill Street.
Boyd, Hutcheson, solicitor, Canal Street.
Browne, R. J., attorney, Needham Place.
Connor, Patrick, 39 Hill Street.
Davis, Wm. A., physician, surgeon and apothecary, Sugar Island.
Denvir, M, jun., attorney, Hill Street.
Dodd, Rev. John, Windsor Hill.
Erskine, Archibald, physician, Trevor Hill.
Fletcher, Rev. O., Trevor Hill.
Glenny, Matthew, attorney, Marcus Square.
Greer, Edward, solicitor and commissioner for taking affidavits, Trevor Hill.
Johnston, Robert, physician, surgeon and apothecary, Hill Street.
King, Rev. Fras., A.B., Trevor Hill.
Leahy, Right Rev. Dr.
Magee, Joshua M., attorney and coroner, Hill Street, Violet Hill and Carnegatt.
Moran, Rev. John, Downshire Place.
Morrell, Jas., inspector of National Schools, Queen Street.
Morrison, J., physician, Trevor Hill.
Murphy, Jas., solicitor, 92 Hill Street.
McBlain, F. W., barrister-at-law, Hill Street.
McBride, A., surgeon, Sugar Island.
McConville, Jas. M., surgeon, Hill Street.
O'Brien, Rev. J., P.P., Hill Street.
Ogle, Wm. H., attorney, The Turret.
Parsons, Isaac, attorney, Hill Street.
Ramsay, John, C.E., Windsor Hill.
Reid, Samuel, attorney, Rosetta.
Savage, John, surgeon and apothecary, Marcus Square.
Starkey, Wm., physician, 85 Hill Street.
Taylor, Edward, surgeon, Kilmorey Street.
Todd, Robert Ross, attorney, Trevor Hill.
Waddell, Alexander, surgeon, Upper North Street.
Wallace, Rev. Robert, Rockview.
Williams, Rev. W. R., New Street.
Woods, Robert, surgeon, Trevor Hill.

Traders &c.

Annett, Mrs., Needham Street.
Anderson & Greer, mail coach proprietors, Hill Street.
Anderson, John, grocer and spirit dealer, Water Street.
Anderson, Mrs., pawn broker, High Street.
Arbuthnot & Co., grocers, spirit merchants & seeds men, 54 Hill Street.
Aylmer, Patrick, slater and plasterer, 29 Castle Street.
Bailie & Currie, book sellers &c., 20 Hill Street.
Beggs, John & Robert, stone & marble manufacturers, 42 Queen Street.
Bell, Mrs., milliner and haberdasher, 19 Hill Street.
Bennie, John & Son, iron and brass founders, Edward Street.
Best, John, grocer and spirit merchant, Sugar Island.
Black, James, baker, grocer and publican, Canal Street.
Blackham, Maxwell, watch and clock maker, 25 Hill Street.
Brown, Mrs., milliner and haberdasher, North Street.
Brown, A., ornamental plasterer &c., Kilmorey Street.
Boyd, Thomas, painter, Water Street.
Brannagan, Jas., butcher, Castle Street.
Brennan, Edward, grocer and publican, Market Street.
Brown & Co., muslin manufacturers, office, Kilmorey Street.
Brown, R., corn dealer, Merchants' Quay.
Brown, S. & Co., meal mongers, Merchants' Quay.
Brown, Wm., publican and grocer, Water Street.
Burns, James, printer, Kildare Street.
Burns, Ann, provision dealer, 8 Market Street.
Burns, Walter, printer, book seller &c., Hill Street.
Byrne, E., publican, Merchants' Quay.
Byrne, E., tanner & currier, Boat Street.
Byrne, James, publican, Edward Street.
Byrne, Michael, publican, Lower Water Street.
Byrne, Wm., carpenter and builder.
Byrne, Wm., publican, Kilmorey Street.
Callaghan, Patrick, hair dresser, 50 Mill Street.
Campbell, A., butcher, Margaret Street.
Campbell, Owen, butcher, 30 Market Street.
Canavan, James, publican and grocer, Sugar Island.
Cardwell, Thomas, corn merchant, Edward Street.
Carson, Jas., sewed muslin agent, Sandys Street.
Carter, John D., china, glass and earthenware merchant, 23 Upper North Street.
Carvill, F. & Son, iron and timber merchants and ship owners, Merchants' Quay.
Casey, James, publican and butter dealer, King Street.
Cathcart, Joseph, iron merchant, Upper North Street.
Clements, Wm., chandler and soap boiler, 22 Sugar Island.
Coleman, Bernard, tallow chandler, soap boiler, Castle Street.
Collins, Robert, butcher, 12 Castle Street.
Collins, Arthur, provision dealer, 25 Market Street.
Collins, Henry, pawn broker and chandler, Castle Street.
Collins, Michael, tallow chandler, 46 Water Street.
Collins, Wm., butcher, Castle Street.
Collins, Thomas, printer and stationer, 34 Hill Street.
Conlon, M., leather seller, 41 Mill Street.
Connolly, Patrick, slater and plasterer, Shamble Yard.
Connolly, Thomas, blacksmith, 9 Canal Street.

Cordner, W. H., watch maker and jeweller, 46 Hill Street.
Coulter, R., bleacher, Carnmeen.
Crawford, Patrick, butcher, 6 Castle Street.
Crilly, Jas., butcher, 14 Castle Street.
Cunningham, John, boot and shoe maker, North Street.
Cunningham, Michael, tanner and currier, Needham Place.
Cusker, James, marine store dealer, Hill Street.
Daly, Dominic, corn dealer, Edward Street and Trevor Hill.
Daly, F., Whitecross, Margaret Street.
Dalzell, Hugh, merchant, grocer, spirit dealer, salt manufacturer &c., Sugar Island.
Davidson, Isaac, chandler, Water Street.
Davidson, William, rope maker, 19 Sugar Island.
Davies, Andrew, grocer, King Street.
Dempsey, Patrick, baker, 17 Sugar Island.
Denvir, Michael & Son, woollen drapers &c., Hill Street.
Dinsmore, R., book binder, Basin Walk.
Dickson, A. G. & J., provision merchants, Monaghan Street.
Donaghy, Thomas, boot and shoe maker, Upper North Street.
Donnelly, Peter, provision dealer, Boat Street.
Donnelly, Rose, publican, 14 Sugar Island.
Dowling, Mrs., grocer and publican, Kilmorey Street.
Downey, Richard, publican and grocer, 10 Market Street & Mill Street.
Doyle, John, seeds man, 50 Castle Street.
Dransfield, J. A., Victoria and Commercial Hotel, Hill Street.
Duncan, Wm., haberdasher, 30 Upper North Street.
Dromgoole, Charles, publican, Monaghan Street.
Edgar, Joseph, rope maker, 47 Walter Street.
Elliott, James, boot and shoe maker, Upper North Street.
Elliott, John, brass founder and gas fitter, Lower North Street.
Fairfield, Jas., boot and shoe maker, Mill Street.
Farmer, Peter, provision dealer, 56 Mill Street.
Farrell, J., provision dealer, 32 Boat Street.
Fegan, James, house and land agent, Kilmorey Street.
Finlay, Thomas, 1 Lower North Street.
Fitzsimmons, W., painter and glazier, Margaret Street.
Finnigan, John L., cabinet maker, Kilmorey Street.
Fleming, John, brazier and tin plate worker, 38 North Street.
Fletcher, Thomas H., cabinet maker, Courtenay Hill.
Forrest, Wm., tanner, Downshire Road.
Fowler, John, brick and tile manufacturer, Talbot Street.
Fowler, Wm., brick and tile manufacturer, Talbot Street.
Frazer, Mrs., dressmaker, Sandys Street.
Galbraith, Wm., grocer, 19 Sugar Island.
Gass, Robert, wine and spirit merchant, Hill Street.
Glenny, I., pawn broker, 146 High Street and Bridge Street.
Glenny, Joseph, pawn broker, Lower North Street & Downshire Road.
Glenny, Robert, corn, meal merchant, Kildare Street & Downshire Road.
Gordon, Joseph, grocer, North Street.
Gordon, Wm., boot maker, North Street.
Grant, Edward, boot and shoe maker, Upper North Street.
Grant, Eliza, publican, Mill Street.
Grant, James, corn merchant, Trevor Hill.
Grant, Patrick, earthenware dealer, 3 Lower North Street.
Grant, Hugh, ironmonger, North Street.
Greacen, Mrs., publican, 22 King Street.
Greer & Co., corn merchants, Merchants; Quay.
Greer, Robert, book seller &c., agent for Royal Assurance Fire & Life Assurance Co., Margaret Street.
Griffin, George, oil and colour merchant &c., 21 Sugar Island.
Griffin, George, publican, 2 Queen Street.
Guy, George, & Co., general merchants, Merchants' Quay.
Guy, George, jun., spirit dealer, ship broker & sail maker, Merchants' Quay.
Halton, Jas., leather seller, 8 Mill Street.
Halyday, James, agent for Sun Assurance Company, Hill Street.
Hamilton, Joseph, spirit dealer and grocer, 1 Canal Street.
Hancock, R., harness maker and saddler, grocery and spirit store, 27 Hill Street.
Hanratty, Jas., publican and grocer, King Street.
Harold, Wm., haberdasher, 20 Market Street.
Hawkins, H. & Co., haberdashers, North Street.
Heather, John, grocer, Water Street.
Henderson, James, publisher and printer, Telegraph office, agent for the Scottish Amicable Life Assurance Society, 77 Hill Street.
Hening, & Co., corn, coal and butter merchants, Merchants' Quay.
Hennessy, D., cabinet maker, North Street.
Henry, Thomas, carpenter & builder, 28 Canal Street.
Henry, Wm., brewer and maltster, and registrar of marriages, Queen Street.
Hill, George, boot maker, 47 Upper North Street.
Hill, Edward, boot and shoe maker, 1 Hill Street.
Hoey, Thomas, wine and spirit merchant, Merchants' Quay.
Holmes, Nathaniel, provision dealer, 26 Market Street.
Holywood, J., whitesmith, King Street.
Howard & Co., woollen drapers, 22 & 23 Hill Street.
Hunter, Jas., turner and block maker, Buttercrane Quay.
Harper, Henry, Benagh Lodge.
Hunter, Moses, publican, block maker, grocer, William Street.
Irvine, Robert, grocer and spirit merchant, High Street.
Irvine, Thomas, grocer and spirit merchant, 30 Hill Street.
Irvine, Wm., grocer and spirit merchant, 53 Water Street.
Ivors, David, stationer and book binder, Hill Street.
Jennings, Andrew, iron merchant, North Street.
Jennings, M. & Son, spirit merchants, 12 Mill Street.
Jennings, ? , publican and grocer, Needham Place.
Johnston, Robert J., boot maker, Hill Street.
Kean, John, cork cutter, The Mall.
Kearney, Mrs., confectioner, Hill Street.
Keating, Mary, dyer,, Mill Street.
Keating, Michael, dyer, Mill Street.
Keenan, James, grocer, Water Street.
Kernaghan, Adam, boot and shoe maker, 36 Upper North Street.
Kernahan, Solomon, boot and shoe maker, Upper North Street.
Kerr, Patrick, grocer and publican, Margaret Street.
Killen, A., grocer, Water Street.
Laing, Thomas, pawn broker, Market Square & Downshire Road.
Lattimer, James, hair dresser, Water Street.
Law, Rev. Mr., Needham Street.
Lawson, Charles, coach builder, Hill Street.
Little, Mrs., stationer &c., 44 Hill Street.
Loughran, Joseph, auctioneer, 16 Hill Street.
Lowry, James, publican, Castle Street.
Lucas, Richard & Son, plumbers, iron & brass founders, Soho Foundry.
Lucas & Dempster, Soho Mills.
Lupton, J., corn merchant, Bridge Street.
MacMahon, James, stone and marble cutter, timber & coal merchant, 24 Merchants' Quay and Bellevue.
Madden, ? , publican, Monaghan Street.
Madine, John, baker, 38 Castle Street.
Magee, Robert, carpenter and builder, St. Mary's Street.
Magennis, D., provision dealer, grocer & spirit dealer, 8 Canal Street.
Magennis, Edward A., baker and flour merchant, 8 North Street.
Maginnis, Edward, engraver and copperplate printer, The Mall.
Mark, C. A., publican and grocer, Sugar Island.
Markey, Eliza, publican, Edward Street.
Markey, Mr., saddler, 54 Water Street.
Marrin, M., grocer and publican, Hill Street.
Marron, Thomas, publican and provision dealer, 3 Mill Street.
Marshall, John, watch and clock maker, 1 Sugar Island.
Martin, Louis A., spirit dealer and grocer, Merchants' Quay.
Massy, John, provision dealer and grocer, Monaghan Street.
Mathers, Francis, boot and shoe maker, Hill Street.
Miller, James & Son, gas fitters, Hill Street.
Moffet, Esther, publican and grocer, 7 Canal Street.
Monaghan, Bernard, butcher, Castle Street.
Mooney, John, blacksmith, 97 Hill Street.
Moore, John, grocer and spirit merchant, Hill Street.
Morgan, Mrs., milliner, Bridge Street.
Mulholland, Charles, butter merchant, King Street.
Murphy, M., publican, 28 King Street.
Murphy, Richard, auctioneer and commission agent, Mountnorris.
Murphy, Peter, tanner and currier, Marcus Square.
McAlinden, Henry, confectioner, Hill Street.
McAlpin, R., merchant tailor, 71 Hill Street.
McArevey, John, cabinet maker, Hill Street.
McAvoy, D., hair dresser, 2 Water Street.
McAllister, S. & W., Canal Street.
McBlain, Robert & Co., grocers, wine and spirit merchants and seeds men, 32 Hill Street.
McBride, Misses, boarding and day school, Trevor Hill.
McCall, John, butcher, 20 North Street.
McCallister, Robert, publican, Water Street.
McCann, T., baker, 20 Castle Street.
McCarroll, S. & R., pawn brokers, Castle Street.
McClelland, R., merchant tailor, 61 Hill Street.
McClelland, Robert, blacksmith, Hill Street.
McClory, John, butter dealer, Canal Street.
McCormick, Henry, tailor, Hill Street.
McCracken, George, grocer and spirit merchant, Canal Street.
McCracken, Robert, agent for Newry Steam Packet Company, 27 Merchants' Quay.
McCulla, Mrs., boarding and day school, Sandys Street.
McCulla, Wm., grocer, spirit dealer and agent for Dundalk Steam Packet Company, 2 Lower North Street.
McDonald, D. & J., sewed muslin manufacturers, River Street.
McDonald, Patrick, grocer, spirit dealer and baker, Canal Street.
McDowell, John, grocer, 38 Water Street.
McElroy, P. & Co., ironmongers, North Street.
McGeorge, James & Co., haberdashers, 4 Lower North Street.
McGinnis, Patrick, provision dealer, 27 Market Street.
McGrath, James, sheet iron, copper and tin worker, 44 Canal Street.
McGrath, W., whitesmith, 22 Mill Street.
McGuiggan, J., butcher, 55 North Street.
McGuiggan, Thomas, butcher, 8 Castle Street.
McKeag, Robert, flour merchant, agent for A. Todd & Co., Dublin.
McKee, Hugh, grocer, North Street.
McKeown, John, coach builder, 95 Hill Street.
McKenna, Jas., hair dresser, 5 Mill Street.
McKenna, Jas., tanner and currier, 24 Mill Street.
McKevitt, B., provision dealer, chandler, publican, 1 Market Street.
McLoughlin, T., leather seller, 20 Mill Street.
McLoughlin, Thomas, tanner and currier, 40 Mill Street.
McMahon, Hugh, grocer, publican, sail maker, ship broker, Soho Place
McNally, J. P., grocer and publican, 7 Kildare Street.
McNeice, John, watch and clock maker, Margaret Street.
Ogle, Wm. Henry, Needham Place, master extraordinary in Chancery, and commissioner for taking affidavits and bail for the Court of Admiralty, also commissioner for taking the acknowledgements of deeds by married women.
O'Hagan, Felix, grocer, Water Street.
O'Hagan, John & Son, woollen drapers, 13 & 14 Upper North Street.
O'Hagan, Joseph, grocer, Water Street.
O'Hare, John, wheel wright, Needham Street.
O'Hare, Owen, publican, Hill Street.
O'Neill, Mrs., publican, Merchants' Quay.
O'Rorke, H., haberdasher, 6 Upper North Street.
Parsons, James, corn and flour merchant & miller, Templegowran Mills.
Paton, Mrs., confectioner, High Street.
Patterson, R., grocer, Sugar Island.
Pattison, Wm., brazier and tinplate worker, 1 Margaret Street.
Peden, Mary Anne, haberdasher, 43 Hill Street.
Peden, Sergeant, Canal Street.
Phillips, Archibald, hair dresser, Margaret Street.
Quigley, Misses, boarding and day school, 80 Hill Street.
Quin, Brothers, bakers, Lower North Street.
Quin, Edward, ironmonger, 34 Upper North Street.
Quin, M. A., publican and grocer, Queen Street.
Quin, Thomas, publican, Boat Street.
Quin, Nicholas, gunsmith, Lower North Street.
Radcliffe, James, tailor, Dromolane.
Rankin, D., tailor, Basin Walk.
Rea, Arthur, saddler, 11 Lower Water Street.
Reilly, P., Upper North Street.
Reside, Henry, painter and glazier, Talbot Street.
Rice, D., saddler, Hill Street.
Rice, Patrick, pawn broker, Chapel Street.
Rogan, Mark, publican, 4 Water Street.
Rogan, Patrick, publican, 29 Water Street.
Ruddy, Stephen, grocer and publican, 28 Market Street.
Russell, M. A., publican, Hyde Market.
Ryan, Anne, grocer and publican, Boat Street.
Savage, James, Basin Walk House.
Savage, Patrick, tailor, Hill Street.
Samuel, John & Co., seeds men, 38 Hill Street.
Scott, George, wholesale and family grocer and gunpowder merchant, agent for Atlas Assurance Company, New Buildings, 35 Hill Street.
Scott, Isaac, grocer, Sugar Island.
Simm, Miss, dress making, straw bonnet and millinery warerooms, 23 Hill Street.
Sinclair & Walker, corn and meal merchants and millers, Sugar Island.
Small, Arthur John, grocer and publican, Margaret Street.
Stanton, James & Co., drapers, North Street.
Stewart, Donald, herring merchant, Canal Quay.
Stewart, Robert, public weigh master, The Mall.
Stewart, Robert, woollen draper, 47 Hill Street.
Switzer, Wellington, Primrose Cottage.
Tempest, Mrs., boarding house, 7 Sandys Street.
Thompson, J., painter and glazier, 10 Hill Street.
Thompson, James, grocer, Market Street.
Thompson, John, gunsmith, 25 Lower North Street.
Thompson, Henry, wine and spirit merchant, Kildare Street.
Torley, James, boot and shoe maker, Upper North Street.
Treanor, John, clerk to town commissioners, Sandys Street.
Trenor, Patrick, trimming dealer, 29 Market Street.
Tweedy, Wm., pawn broker, King Street.
Vallely, John & Co., woollendrapers, 62 Hill Street.
Wallace, Henry W., wine and spirit merchant, agent for Alliance Fire and Life Assurance Company, Hill Street.
Wallace, H. J., corn and meal merchant, Merchants' Quay.
Wallace, John H. & Co., wine and spirit merchants, 66 Hill Street.
Weir, Andrew, painter and glazier, Hill Street.
Weir, Samuel, smith, 3 Basin Walk.
Wiggins, Thomas, cabinet maker, Hyde Market.
Winstanley, O., brewer, Queen Street.
Wiseman, James, cabinet maker, Needham Place.
Woods, Jas., wine and spirit merchant, 86 Hill Street.
Wright, Henry, crane master, grocer and auctioneer, Monaghan Street.
Wright, John, printer, Water Street.
Wright, John, publican and grocer, Water Street.
Wylie, Alexander, veterinary surgeon, Margaret Square.

                             NEWTOWNARDS                 back to top

Newtownards, is a market town in County Down, eight miles East from Belfast, situated near the Northern extremity of Lough Strangford.  James I., after the forfeiture of the surrounding territory by O'Neill's rebellion, granted lands and the neighbouring monasteries to Sir James Hamilton and Sir Hugh Montgomery, from whom they passed to the Mount-Alexander family, and from them by exchange into that of the Colvill family, whose remains are interred in the old church, and from them to that of Londonderry, and the present Marquis is now the proprietor of Newtownards, and a large extent of country around.  The town consists of one spacious square, with several streets leading from it.  In the square, a handsome rectangular area, stands the Town Hall, a large and rather elegant structure in the Grecian Doric style, erected in 1770 by the first Marquis of Londonderry.  It contains an elegant suite of assembly rooms, news room public library, and other apartments, and beneath are the market offices, shambles &c.  Nearly in the centre of the town stands the lofty and beautiful pedestal of an ancient cross, erected in 1636, ornamented with armorial sculptures, defaced by the rebels in 1653, and restored by the inhabitants in 1666.  Mount Stewart, the seat of the Marquis of Londonderry, is within three miles of it.  The weaving of muslin employs a large number of the male population, and the embroidering of muslin, for the manufacturers of Belfast and Glasgow, a considerable number of females.  About a mile from the town, convenient to the road leading to Bangor, are extensive lead mines, held on lease from the Marquis of Londonderry by a spirited company, the ore, which is very rich, is shipped at Bangor, for Flint, in North Wales, where it is smelted.  There are likewise in the neighbourhood, at Scrabo, several prolific quarries, producing a stone little inferior to that of Portland.  A handsome monument to the memory of the late General, Marquis of Londonderry, is erected on Scrabo Hill.  The General Sessions for the county are held here quarterly, and petty sessions on the first and third Saturdays of every month, in a very handsome court house, lately erected at the expense of the county.  An ancient church, erected by Sir Henry Montgomery, was some years ago converted into a court house by the Marquis, but being insufficient, the new court house was erected.  The Parish church, built in 1817, is an elegant cruciform edifice, with a lofty and finely proportioned spire.  The Presbyterian churches, of which there are four, are convenient and neat edifices.  The other places of worship are chapels for Unitarians, the Wesleyan and New Connexion of Methodists, two Covenanters' Meeting Houses and a Roman Catholic chapel.  The principal benevolent institution are a fever hospital and dispensary, a union workhouse, and public schools, among the latter is a large one for children of both sexes, supported by the Londonderry family.  The new Model School, in course of erection, is a splendid building, situated on the Old Belfast Road leading to Scrabo.  The Belfast Banking Company have erected a handsome branch bank in the town.  The market, which is held on Saturday, is abundantly supplied with provisions of all kinds, cattle &c.,  The annual fairs are held on the 23rd Jan, 14th May, 23rd Sept and second Saturday of every month.  The County Down Railway has a station at Newtownards, and trains run five times daily between it and Belfast.  Population in 1851, 9,567.

Post Office, Francis Street - E. White, postmistress. Letters from Dublin and Belfast, and from England, arrive every morning at 7.50, and are despatched every afternoon at 5.50.  Letters from Donaghadee arrive every evening at half past four, and are despatched at half past eight morning.  Letters from Portaferry, and all intermediate places, arrive and are despatched at same hours.
Constabulary Station, High Street - W. Anderson.
Court House and Bridewell, Regent Street - Robert Mathews, keeper.
Stamp Office, Francis Street - Jas. Collins, sub distributor.
Belfast Bank - William Parr, manager.
Mining Company - Henry Rowe, secretary and manager.
Gas Works, Court Street - William Saunderson, secretary, manager.
Railway Station, foot of Church Street - Wm. Hill, manager.
Union Workhouse, off Church Street - Jas. Barry, master ; Miss Minnis, matron ; Robert Brown, clerk of union ; Dr. Woods, medical officer ; Wm. S. Crawford, Esq., chairman of board of guardians.
Parish Church, Church Street - Rev. Joseph McCormick, incumbent ; Rev. J. R. Franks, curate.
Presbyterian Church, Francis Street - Rev. Julius McCullough, minister.
Presbyterian Church, Mary Street - Rev. James Young, minister.
Presbyterian Church, Regent Street - Rev. Thomas Watters, minister.
Presbyterian Church, Court Street - Rev. G. Hughes, minister.
Unitarian Meeting House, Francis Street - Rev. Hugh Moore, minister.
Covenanters' Meeting House, Ann Street - Rev. R. Stewart, minister.
Wesleyan Chapel, Regent Street - Rev. W. Cather and Rev. W. Haslett, ministers.
Wesleyan Chapel (New Connexion), Zion Place - Rev. J. Chadwick, minister.
Roman Catholic Chapel, Ann Street - Rev. Wm. Close, P.P.
Erasmus Smith's School, Francis Street - Arthur Bell, master.
National School, East Street - Miss Thompson, mistress.
East Street National School (No. 2) - M. Harbison, teacher.
Academy, West Street - Rev. J. B. McCann, master ; Miss Walsh, mistress.

Gentry &c.

Bradshaw, Jonathan, Millecross House.
Creighton, Wm., Regent Street.
Dalzell, James, Castle Place.
Kennedy, David, East Court.
Londonderry, Marquis of, Mount Stewart.
Montgomery, Lieutenant Colonel Francis O., D.L., J.P., North Down Rifles, Regent Street.
Montgomery, Hugh, Rosemount.
McIlrawth, Wm., High Street.
McLeroth, Captain, Killynether House.
Osborne, A. T., Inspector of National Schools, Hardford Lodge.
Parr, Wm., manager of Belfast Bank, Regent Street.
Quaile, Mrs., Regent Street.
Stitt, James, Rosebud Cottage.
Strain, Thomas, High Street.

Clergy and Professional

Bradshaw, Rev. Joseph, Milecross Lodge.
Armstrong, J. S., surgeon, R.N.D., Rifles, Brooklands.
Cather, Rev. W., High Street.
Close, Rev. Wm., Ann Street.
Franks, Rev. J. R., Court Street.
Hughes, Rev. G., Presbyterian minister, Movilla Street.
Jamison, David, M.D., Francis Street.
Martin, James, surgeon, High Street.
Marton, Robert, surgeon, High Street.
Martin, W. B., M.D., Conway Square.
Moore, Rev. Hugh, Church Street.
McCullough, Rev. Julius, Presbyterian minister, Church Street.
McCormick, Rev. Joseph, incumbent, Parsonage.
Watters, Rev. Thomas, High Street.
Woods, Dr., dispensary surgeon, Francis Street.
Young, Rev. James, Movilla Street.

Traders &c.

Alexander, Eleanor, grocer and delf dealer, Castle Place.
Alexander, Jane, woollen draper, High Street.
Alexander, A., butcher, Skinner's Row.
Alexander, Peter, reed maker, South Street.
Anderson, James, baker and confectioner, High Street.
Andrews, J., cabinet maker, Hill Street.
Arnold, Alexander, grocer, Movilla Street.
Baird, Wm., woollen draper, Conway Square.
Barclay, R., grocer, Church Street.
Bashford, Jane, dress maker, Francis Street.
Bennett, Jas., pawn broker, Frederick Street.
Bennett, Joseph, grocer, Regent Street.
Boal, James, jun., publican, Conway Square.
Blackstock, James, grocer and flax buyer, Ann Street.
Beatty, Thomas, tanner, Regent Street.
Boak, Ann Jane, Church Street.
Boal, James, county cess collector, Greenwell Street.
Boyd, Mary, spirit dealer, Francis Street.
Boyle, S., provision and grain merchant, Francis Street.
Boyle, Jas., corn merchant, grocer, publican, provision and hardware merchant, Castle Place.
Boyle, Wm., grocer, Francis Street.
Brown, Hugh, grocer, George's Street.
Brown, John C., baker, Francis Street.
Brown, J., provision dealer, Church Street.
Brown, Robert, clerk to Union, Francis Street.
Brown, S. & T., sewed muslin manufacturers, Little Francis Street.
Cairns, Hugh, grocer, South Street.
Campbell, Jane, grocer, West Street.
Carr, George, grocer, Little Francis Street.
Collins, James, printer, book seller and stationer, Francis Street.
Conley, James, publican, Francis Street.
Cooper, G., delf merchant, grocer and timber merchant, Regent Street.
Copeland, John, innkeeper, Church Street.
Croft, James, baker, Castle Place.
Crymble, Lucius, sewed muslin agent, Francis Street.
Curragh, H., sewed muslin agent, Regent Street.
Dalzell, Robert, cooper, Mill Street.
Dalzell, Wm., cooper, Movilla Street.
Davidson, Jas., chandler, High Street.
Davidson, Margaret, milliner, High Street.
Davison, David, shoe maker, Movilla Street.
Davison, Mrs., milliner and dress maker, Frederick Street.
Dickson, Alexander & Sons, seed merchants and nurserymen, High Street.
Dickson, Hugh, miller, Glen Mills.
Dickson, Jas., boot and shoe maker, Mill Street.
Digman, John, publican, Mill Street.
Ditty, Elizabeth, innkeeper.
Downing, J. W., woollen draper, and fancy milliner, High Street.
Dobbin, Richard, muslin agent, East Street.
Dobbin, Wm., muslin agent, Court Street.
Duggan, Joseph, freestone quarry proprietor, Scrabo.
Edgar, Mrs., grocer, William Street.
Finlay, Isaac, corn merchant, publican and grocer, Movilla Street and Castle Place.
Finlay, James, Court Street.
Finlay, Samuel, tailor, Greenwell Street.
Finlay, Wm., corn merchant, Court Street.
Finlay, Wm., publican and leather seller, Greenwell Street.
Fleming, Agnes, haberdasher.

Frederick, Agnes, Railway Hotel, Church Street.
Frederick, Margaret, Belfast Hotel, Francis Street.
Freeman, Robert, grocer, North Street.
Gemmell, Jane, sewing agent, Francis Street.
Gibson, Wm., hardware dealer, High Street.
Gilfillan, Thomas, grocer and muslin agent, West Street.
Gilmore, Patrick, tinsmith and gas fitter, High Street.
Gordon, James, tailor, Regent Street.
Grant, Jane, provision dealer, Mill Street.
Harrison, Ann, publican, Mill Street.
Harrison, George, miller, Manor Mills and Mill Street.
Hayes, Ellen, confectioner, Francis Street.
Hutchinson, Mary, grocer, Movilla Street.
Iveston, John, grocer and innkeeper, Francis Street.
Jackson, Mary, provision dealer, Little Francis Street.
Jamison, James, linen and woollen draper, Francis Street.
Jamison, John, innkeeper, Conway Square.
Jamison, Wm., deal and timber yard, Castle Place.
Jeffrey, James, auctioneer, Regent Street.
Johnston, John, brewer, Regent Street.
Johnston, John, grocer, Little Francis Street.
Johnston, Samuel, muslin agent, East Street.
Jones, J., grocer, Church Street.
Jordon, J., clog maker, Little Francis Street.
Kennedy, Hugh, tailor, Mill Street.
Kennedy, Hugh, woollen draper and haberdasher, Conway Square.
Kennedy, Wm. J., grocer and publican, Mill Street.
Kirk, James, baker, confectioner and general merchant, High Street.
Kirker, Agnes, grocer, Mill Street.
Ledgewood, W., boot and shoe maker, Frederick Street.
Little, James, spirit dealer, Conway Square.
Lowry, Jane, grocer, Regent Street.
Logan, Samuel, spirit dealer, Francis Street.
Magill, Jas., butcher and publican, Conway Street.
Magill, Hugh, sewing agent, Francis Street.
Martin, Alexander, grocer, Church Street.
Mayne, Wm., grocer, High Street.
Milling, J., innkeeper, Zion Place.
Minnis, West, tanner, High Street.
Mena, George, grocer and corn merchant, Conway Street.
Mena, Elizabeth, grocer and haberdasher, High Street.
Montgomery, David, pawn broker, Francis Street.
Montgomery, Eliza, pawn broker, Francis Street.
Moore, Andrew, grocer, High Street.
Moore, James, corn merchant, publican and grocer, Movilla Street.
Moore, James, hardware shop, Conway Square.
Moore, Jane, sewing agent, Regent Street.
Moore, John, grocer, High Street.
Moore, John, shoe maker, Mary Street.
Moore, Margaret, milliner and dress maker, High Street.
Moore, William, cutler, East Street.
Munce, Robert, corn merchant, Court Street.
Murdock, John, cabinet maker, High Street.
Murphy, Wm., grocer, Mill Street.
Murphy, Wm., haberdasher, dealer and auctioneer, Francis Street.
Murray, Wm., publican, Mill Street.
McAlpin, James, tailor, Church Street.
McAuley, Wm., boot and shoe maker, North Street.
McBratney, A., woolen draper and haberdasher, High Street.
McBride, James, grocer, Movilla Street.
McBride, John, publican, Mill Street.
McBride, Mary, grocer and delf dealer, Regent Street.
McBride, Wm. H., boot and shoe maker, High Street.
McCance, Sarah, bonnet maker, Francis Street.
McCandles (McCandless), A., barber, Francis Street.
McClean, Henry, posting establishment, Church Street.
McClean, Matthew, hotel keeper, posting establishment, Francis Street.
McClure, Essy, spirit dealer, Regent Street.
McCully, James, grocer, Greenwell Street.
McCulla, Eliza, grocer, Zion Place.
McCutcheon, Andrew, saddler, High Street.
McDonnell, James, grocer, Mill Street.
McDowell, H., woollen draper, Conway Street.
McGratten, David, boot and shoe maker, Ann Street.
McIlvenna, Jas., pawn broker, High Street.
McGilton, Martha, grocer, George's Street.
McKee, Alexander, chandler, Greenwell Street.
McKee, Alexander, haberdasher and grocer, High Street.
McKee, John, publican and corn merchant, Castle Place.
McKee, Margaret, spirit dealer, Conway Square and High Street.
McKeown, Francis & Co., woollen drapers, High Street.
McKittrick, John, woollen draper, Conway Square.
McLoughlin, John, grocer and publican, Francis Street.
McMahon, James, tailor, West Street.
McMahon, Wm., smith, North Street.
McMahon, Wm., tailor, East Street.
McMurray, James, innkeeper, Francis Street.
McVane, John, sewed muslin and weaving agent, Francis Street.
McWhinney, Hugh, grocer, Little Francis Street.
McWilliams, Wm., grocer and publican, Regent Street.
Napier, Martin, grocer, High Street.
Nelson, Charles, pawn broker, Regent Street.
O'Neill, John, grocer, Mill Street.
Patterson, David, town clerk and rent agent, Francis Street.
Patterson, John, grocer, Mark Street.
Patterson, Mary, haberdasher and stationer, High Street.
Patterson, Thomas, muslin manufacturer, Regent Street.
Patton, Jas., publican, Frederick Street.
Patton, James, watch and clock maker, High Street.
Patton, William, Castle Street.
Potter, John, saddler, Francis Street.
Porter, Miss, milliner and haberdasher, Conway Street.
Purse, Hans, publican, Castle Place.
Ramsey, John, sewing agent, Francis Street.
Rea, James, publican, Russell Place.
Rogers, Thomas, High Street.
Russell, Robert, tailor, Regent Street.
Saunderson, William, Londonderry Arms Hotel, High Street.
Savage, Isabella, dress maker, Little Francis Street.
Shaw, Henry, grocer, Francis Street.
Shaw, James, grocer, North Street.
Shaw, Robert, publican, Movilla Street.
Simpson, Robert, publican, Castle Place.
Skilling, Stephen, grocer and teacher, Mill Street.
Smith, James, grocer, South Street.
Smith, John, grocer, High Street.
Stewart, Robert, spirit dealer, Regent Street.
Taylor, John, corn merchant, grocer and woollen draper, High Street.
Taylor, Nathaniel, publican and corn merchant, Castle Place.
Thompson, Hugh, boot and shoe maker, Zion Place.
Thompson, John, surveyor, Frederick Street.
Tummelty, W., publican, Castle Place.
Vance, Margaret, haberdasher, High Street.
Wallace, Jane, grocer and corn merchant, High Street.
Wallace, J., haberdasher, Conway Square.
Warnock, J., woollen draper, High Street.
Waugh, Francis, woollen draper and haberdasher, Francis Street.
Waugh, Thomas, publican, Francis Street.
Waugh, Wm., grocer and corn merchant, High Street.
White, Mrs., grocer &c., Frederick Street.
White, James, corn merchant and registrar of marriages, North Street.
Wilson, John, boot and shoe maker, Mill Street.
Wilson, Margaret, sewed muslin agent, Francis Street.
Wright, Hugh, grocer, Mark Street.

back to top

Home Page

BSD Index

email any queries titled 'Good Luck' to  meems@marylennon.co.uk

next Provincial Towns Omagh, Portadown, Portaferry, Portrush, Portstewart, Randalstown, Rathfriland, Richhill, Rosstrevor page 682