GENERAL & COMMERCIAL
containing an Alphabetical List of the
Merchants, Manufacturers and Inhabitants in General:
A History of Belfast and its Institutions;
Directory and History
also, a List of English, Scotch and
Irish Bankers and other local information
A New Plan of Belfast
Price, Subscribers, 5s. -
Non-subscribers, 6s. 8d.
Printed by Francis D. Finlay
1 Corn Market
The Compiler of the present work, truly
grateful for the kind attention he has experienced through
progress of his compilation, cannot omit this opportunity of
expressing his gratitude to the inhabitants of
Belfast, and its vicinity, for the promptitude with which all
ranks of society have contributed their quota
of authentic, ancient and modern information. The clerical and
mercantile gentlemen have both evinced
a wish, and shown a disposition, to assist in rendering the
work of that utility, which no pains nor expense
have been spared to attain. With a becoming diffidence, the
Editor purposes continuing this publication
triennially; and any alterations that may occur in the
interim, shall be correctly delineated in the map, or
any useful improvement his friends may suggest, will be
adopted. The arrangement of the different trades
under their respective heads, in the easy alphabetical manner
in which they appear, will be found extremely
useful; and the more the public are acquainted with it, they
will better know how to appreciate its utility.
The Subscriber, when employed in a similar work in the sister
kingdom, frequently anticipated the
pleasure he would experience, from the completion of a
Directory in the place of his nativity; and as there
is almost an universal disposition in the heart of man, to
revisit the spot which was the theatre of his juvenile
amusements, and to enjoy solid satisfaction in the
conversation of those remaining acquaintances who have
survived - this was the magnet which drew him Lancashire,
and, in all probability, will transfix him here.
The ancient survey, in the year 1660, when contrasted with
that of 1819, will show in a strong point of view the
industry, spirit, and taste, of the present generation. As
in our time much has been done, and as our predecessors have
not been inactive, within these last thirty years, the town
has been literally rebuilt.
In 1660, there were not more than 150 houses (many of them
miserable thatched cabins) in the town, the
castle and its appurtenances excepted;- now, see what an
influx of wealth and population commerce has
LISBURN has also an imperative demand on my gratitude,
insomuch that I am deficient in language, to
express my sentiments on that subject. I have not, in the
exercise of my public capacity, experienced more
disinterested friendship; and, considering its population,
my subscribing friends have been numerous. The arrangement
of their Directory, and List of Trades, will be found
correct; and their epitome of ancient history having been
taken from the most authentic sources, will be found useful
and entertaining. I contemplate with pleasure the increase
of its markets, recent improvements in commerce, literature,
and taste; and may justly conclude, that a progressive
increase in knowledge and industry, will be productive of
the more lasting advantages. It stands unrivalled, in a
great degree, in the manufacture of Damask, Diaper, etc.;
and the Cotton manufacture, notwithstanding the present
depression, is carried on with a degree of spirit, scarcely
to be expected.
For the favours mentioned, the publisher shall ever feel
grateful; and trusts, he will retain that confidence he at
present has the honour to enjoy.
Belfast, July, 1819
ALL ON THIS PAGE :-
Historical Account of the Town of Belfast
Ships belonging to
Government of the Town
Chamber of Commerce
House of Industry
House of Correction
Post-Chaises, Coaches and Jaunting Cars, etc.
Arrival and Departure of the different Mail and Stage
Constables appointed at Court leet
Dispensary and Fever Hospital
Lying in Hospital
Female Society for clothing the Poor
Sunday and daily Lancasterian School
Belfast Literary Society
Association for Discountenancing Vice
St. Ann's Church
Chapel of Ease
Meeting-House of First Presbyterian Congregation
Meeting-House of Independents
Reformed Presbyterian Meeting-House
Friends' or Quakers' Meeting-House
Roman Catholic Chapels
Poor-House and Infirmary
Addenda to Ballast Office
List of Churches, etc., in Belfast, with their situations,
Preachers, and times of service
Miscellaneous Notes respecting Belfast
Reference to the Streets of Belfast
Penalties for breaches of the Police Act
Directory of Belfast - Names Alphabetically
Trades and Professions in Belfast
Historical Account of the Town of Lisburn
Directory of Lisburn - Names Alphabetically
Trades and Professions in Lisburn
Merchants, etc., in the neighbourhood of Belfast, not in the
Bank of England
English and Scotch Provincial Bankers
Bank of Ireland
Irish Provincial Bankers
The Long Bridge of Belfast
A report, upon oath, having been made,
November, 1817, by McLarkin, as surveyor to the general Post
Office, of the total insufficiency of this bridge, and the
danger attending it - the Editor of the Directory trusts,
that the following two measurements of the River Lagan,
about the parts where a new bridge may probably be erected,
will, in the present early stage of the subject, be an
interesting document to the noblemen, gentry, and others
interested in the connexion between the two great and
flourishing counties of Down and Antrim.
The River Lagan, in a direct line, in continuation of May
Street, passing the south side of the markets, measures,
from bank to bank, at high water, six hundred and twenty
six feet. This line would enter the County of Down near
the road from Saintfield.
Do. in continuation of Chichester Street, passing the north
side of the markets, measures thirteen hundred and
fourteen feet. This line would enter the County of Down
near the east end of the present bridge, running diagonally
across the river.
Customs of Belfast
The Editor has not been able to ascertain, in
precise numbers, the customs paid by the great
commercial city of Cork, so as to present a comparative view
of them, with those of Belfast; but it is certain, that
Belfast exceeded Cork, last year, about Sixty Thousand
Pounds! Were Belfast on a footing with Cork and
Waterford in Parliamentary Interest - a town which
pays more customs that the one, and out of all comparison
more than the other, it would experience a fairer share of
public bounty, from that source to which it so eminently
Historic Account of the Town of Belfast
Belfast is situated on the western side of the
Lagan, in latitude 54° 35' 42" north, and in longitude 6° 1'
30" west of London,** where that river runs into the
southern extremity of Carrickfergus bay. Near the present
bridge was formerly a ford at low-water, and a ferry when it
was high tide. It is supposed to have derived its present
name from Bela Fearsad, which signifies a town at the
mouth of a river, expressive of the circumstances in which
it stood. This estuary, indiscriminately called
Carrickfergus Bay, or Belfast lough, (and probably the
Vinderius of Ptolemy,) is the most safe and commodious
harbour, the entrance being in breadth about five English
miles, from the point between Groomsport and Ballyholme bay,
in the county of Down, and the White Head in the county of
Antrim. The length of the bay, from the White Head to the
quays, is about twelve miles, gradually growing narrower as
it approaches the bridge, where it is much contracted by the
different landing-places on the one side, and the
embankments of Ballymacarret on the other. Formerly, at full
sea, there was not more than from eight to nine feet water
at the town; now, the depth is so much increased by the
judicious labours of the Ballast office, that vessels which
draw fourteen feet, can come close to the quays.
**Calculated by William Sloan, Esq., of
Divis, the highest
mountain in the county, which lies to the west of the town
about two miles, and the other mountains that come in to the
north-west, con-jointly with the high lands of the county of
Down to the south-east, render it one of the most sheltered
retreats for shipping in any part of the world; the width of
its entrance giving an easy access from the channel, in
different directions, and, the anchorage being excellent,
few accidents occur. At the pool of Garmoyle, vessels ride
afloat at low water, though, within a cable's length, all is
dry around. This pool is about one mile and a half from the
Antrim shore, one mile from that of Holywood, and near five
miles from Carrickfergus. In the channel, pillars have been
erected, and buoys have been placed, to direct the mariner,
at high water, through its various windings.
Although Belfast is mentioned
by Spenser as having been wasted by Edward Bruce in his
progress, at the beginning of the fourteenth century, it is
not taken notice of by the old English writers, who
enumerate the haven towns of the north of Ireland at an
early period. Of the building of the castle there is no date
known, though it was twice taken by the Earl of Kildare,
first in 1503, again in 1512. Before the reign of Elizabeth,
it was inhabited by a Randolphus Lane; and is mentioned as
being then fordable, and lying eight miles up the river from
Carrickfergus, where the passage is over at low water.
By Elizabeth it was granted to Sir
Thomas Smith, and to Thomas Smith the younger, with a vast
tract of land, on condition that they should keep a certain
number of horse and foot, harnessed and accoutred, to be
ready in a certain number of days, after being required, to
meet at Antrim. When Sir Arthur Chichester was Lord Deputy,
in the reign of James the first, such a summons was issued,
and, neither appearing, the castle and cinament (demesne) of
Belfast were forfeited, and granted to Sir Arthur. The
charter, constituting Belfast a corporation of a Sovereign,
twelve burgesses, and commonalty, with the privilege of
sending two members to Parliament, was also granted by James
I. in the fifth of his reign, constituting Arthur Lord
Chichester, his heirs, etc.
Lords of the Castle. Thomas Vesey,
the first Sovereign, was chosen in 1613; and in the same
year, Sir John Blennerhasset, Baron of the Exchequer, and
George Trevillian, Esq. were the first members sent by this
town to Parliament. At that time, Belfast could not have
been considerable; for, in the patent, it is styled town, or
village. In the year 1635, mention is made of Lord
Chichester's house there, by an English traveller, who
styles it "the glory and beauty of the town;" but nothing of
the town is said, except, that "many Cheshire and Lancashire
men were planted in the neighbourhood by Mr. Arthur Hill,
son of Sir Moyses Hill;" Belfast itself at that time being
peopled with Devonshire men, and a number of the Scots who
came in the former reign.
In 1740. Lord Strafford purchased
from the corporation of Carrickfergus, on the part of the
crown, their privilege of importing foreign goods at
one-third of the duties payable in other places; being
deprived of this advantage, Belfast rose at the expense of
the former, from whence the Custom-house was removed to it
at the same time. This measure, of itself most judicious in
Lord Strafford, would have been of small consequence, had
not the country already been inhabited by an industrious
people, who applied themselves to agriculture, and to the
manufacture of linen, which, by their profits, enabled them
to create a demand for articles of importation. A port,
without a population near it, is of little importance. The
wars, which ensued subsequent to 1741, must have caused a
great interruption to the rising prosperity of Belfast, and
the adjacent counties; and, in 1648, it was taken possession
of by General Monk for the Parliament.
During the Protectorate, the country
seems to have been tolerably quiet; but in the reign of
James II. it again met with some interruption, and he
endeavoured to force a new charter upon the corporation,
which, from its attachment to William III. was never acted
under. But, from the day in which this latter monarch gave
peace to the country, and that attention was paid to its
interests, by the encouragement afforded to the already
established manufacture of linen, a wonderful fabric of
prosperity was raised; and, in the beginning of the last
century, we find Belfast not only well known on the
continent, as a place of considerable trade, but in a scale
of credit appended to the names of the different commercial
towns of Europe. In the Exchange at Amsterdam, Belfast stood
in the first rank; which respectable situation it has, since
that period, continued to occupy; and, from the credit
annexed to it, joined with judicious enterprise, it has
arisen to a degree of prosperity, in a course of years
comparatively short, seldom exceeded, and not often equalled
in any age or country.
Population of Belfast at different periods
1725 - The entire Parish of Belfast was
returned to Parliament
Houses - Inhabitants
by the Hearth-money Collectors, at
1757 - Town alone, returned by the same
1782 - Town alone
1791 - Town alone,
1816 - Town alone,
From the ancient
plan, which will be found in the map-sheet, the town then
(1660) contained only six streets, and four rows of houses.
From a survey made in 1808, it was found to contain squares,
streets, quays, lanes and entries, to the number of 114. In
1791, their number was only 75, being an increase, in
seventeen years, of thirty-nine.
It will be necessary to ascertain
limits, that the extension of Belfast may be better
understood. The following appears to be the present
boundaries of the town:
To the first arch of the long bridge
on the County Antrim side; to the mile-water bridge on the
Carrickfergus Road; to the porter's lodge on the road
leading to Old Park, and round by the path-way to the back
of the Poor-house; to the Mussenden's hole on the Lodge
Road; to Craven's bridge on the Shankhill Road; to Reid and
Cavart's factory on the Falls Road; to G. Bradberry's house
on the Pound-fields Road; to the Salt-water bridge on the
Malone Road; and to the houses at the back of Cromack
Rapid as the progress
of population has been in Belfast, commerce has fully kept
pace with it. The following tables of the amount of Customs
and the number of Vessels belonging to it, at different
periods will best illustrate the fact :-
Amount V Ann.
1818 - Average of eight years previous to
February 1818 - 360,000
Ships belonging to Belfast, 1792
France and Holland
Ships belonging to Belfast, 1819
104 Ships - 10,429 Registered Tons
- 755 Sea
Ballast Office, Chichester Quay
Incorporated in 1785,
has power to make bye-laws, for cleaning and improving the
harbour, regulating the conduct of masters and owners of
ships, lighters, etc. Its revenue arises from a tax on
registered tonnage. It has proved of great benefit to the
port, by deepening the water at the quays to 14 feet; since
its first establishment it has enabled ships of 400 toms to
discharge at Tomb's or Donegall Quay. There have been made a
considerable time ago, a handsome graven dock; and in
addition, at present a new one, upon a more extensive scale,
is building. This additional convenience will much benefit
the shipping trade of Belfast
Government of the Town
The Sovereign has the
government of the markets, the regulations of the cranes and
weights, and all things respecting the sale of provisions,
etc., brought into the town, of which he is the chief
magistrate, and for the time being also a magistrate of the
county of Antrim, ex-officio. By patent, he is clerk of the
market, which gives him the power, by himself or by deputy,
of settling all matters relative to it; certain established
duties and customs being payable to him, out of the sale of
different articles exposed in the market, from the revenue
of which he is paid, and the other expences of the situation
Commissioners and a committee of
Police are appointed, by virtue of an act of Parliament
obtained by the town in 1800. They are vested with authority
to carry into execution all regulations therein specified,
under certain penalties, respecting the paving, lighting,
and cleaning the streets, as well as many other
circumstances affecting the health, safety, and comfort of
The Commissioners are twelve, chosen
for life, besides the burgesses who are so by Act of
Parliament; the committee are chosen annually in February,
and sit every Saturday. Whatever complaints may be made
respecting the expences incurred and the mode of levying the
Police taxes, the improvement of the town since its
establishment is most manifest. By a late act of Parliament,
(1816) a regular police establishment has been formed,
comprising watchmen, police serjeants, etc. and a presiding
chief magistrate. The office is in Rosemary Street
Committee Appointed The 11th of February, 1819, To Act For
John McCracken -
William Newsam -
Robert Grimshaw -
Hugh Johnson -
John Ward -
John Gordon -
Robert Matthews -
Andrew McClean -
William Park -
Thomas Greer -
Sit every Saturday at 11 o'clock, at the
Office in Donegall Street, James Hyndman, Clerk
Mr. William McClean, 32 North Street,
Collector of Taxes
Timothy Keenan, Surveyor
John Riddle, Fire Engine Keeper, William Street, off
Church Street, nearly opposite the Post Office
A Chamber of
Commerce was established in 1800; its duty is understood to
be, to guard the mercantile interest against encroachments,
as also to arbitrate any disputes between merchants. By the
charter of Belfast, it appears the corporation had the power
of appointing a guild of merchants with a seal; but no
are mentioned as belonging to the body.
In Belfast there are three Banks.
The Belfast Bank, established in 1808; partners, David
Gordon, Narcissus Batt, John Holmes Houston, and Hugh
The Commercial Bank, established in
1809; partners, William Tennent, Robert Callwell, Robert
Bradshaw, John Cunningham and John Thomson.
The Northern Bank, established in
1809; partners, Hugh Montgomery, John Hamilton, James Orr
and John Sloan
Belfast Saving Bank
Was instituted on the
first of January, 1816. Its object is, to afford a safe
place of deposite for the savings of the industrious poor.
It is open every Friday evening at 6 o'clock, at the office
in the House of Industry, and receives deposites as low as
10d. and not exceeding £50. in the year from one person.
The Institution is composed of fifty
members, who meet quarterly, for the purpose of inspecting
the affairs of the Bank, and of regulating its concerns; on
them the framing of bye-laws, and the appointment of
officers rests. The Establishment for conducting the
business consists of a treasurer, secretary, cashier, two
accountants, and four directors, which four attend at the
Bank on Friday evenings, to transact the business. Besides
those, three auditors are elected at each quarterly meeting,
to audit the accounts, and to watch over the application of
Five trustees have been appointed,
agreeably to the provisions of the Act of Parliament for
regulating Saving Banks. In their name the money is lodged
in the Bank of Ireland, and drawn out of it when required.
This extensive business is managed gratuitously.
By the provisions of the Act of
Parliament, Saving Banks are entitled to receive interest at
the rate of 3d. per £100 per day, equal to £4. 11s. 3d. per
cent. per year, which is charged to the Commissioners for
redeeming the National Debt, to whose account the money is
placed in the Bank of Ireland, and the Belfast Saving Bank
allows interest at the rate of £4. 10s. per cent. to the
The expenses of this Saving Bank are
defrayed out of an auxiliary fund, which is composed of
donations from its well wishers, and any surplus interest
that may arise from the deposites.
Belfast White Linen-Hall
A large hollow square,
erected by subscription on the site of the Castle Gardens in
the year 1783, with intent of removing the sales of white
linen from Dublin Hall, to the heart of the manufacture.
Commission Goods Received By The Factors In Nine Years, from
1810 to 1818.
Years - - Packages
1810 - -
1811 - -
1812 - -
1813 - -
1814 - -
1815 - -
1816 - -
1817 - -
1818 - -
Total 4537 packages, average value about £65 each.
The major part of those linens were
exported to America and the West Indies.
In Donegall Street, where a
considerable quantity of fine yard-wide linen is sold on
each market day, (Friday.) This building has been lately
repaired and improved, by a subscription of the linen
merchants of Belfast and its neighbourhood.
There are in Belfast,
two markets for the sale of Flesh Meat, one in Hercules
Street, and one in Castle Place. In the latter, the shops
are fitted up in a style of neatness, which does infinite
credit to the judgment and good taste of its proprietor, Mr.
Montgomery. There are also in this market superior
accommodations for the sale of Fish, Vegetables, Meal,
Potatoes and Fruit. Its regulations are very strict and
proper, and it is well supplied with the best and earliest
productions; affording to the inhabitants of Belfast
peculiar advantages, from its contiguity to the principal
streets in town. One entrance is from the junction of High
Street and Corn Market, through Hammond's Court, and the
others from Castle Lane. Every stranger who visits this
little market, must be peculiarly gratified by its clean and
A large market, for the sale of Meal,
Potatoes, Vegetables, Butter, and Eggs, is also erected in
Mr. May's reclaimed ground, at the extremity of Chichester
Street, and lies on the Cromack Road.
A small yard in William Street South,
has also lately been converted into a Fish and Vegetable
market, under the direction of Mr. Andrews, victualler.
The markets of Belfast are, in
general, very well supplied with Meal, Potatoes, Vegetables,
and Fish; the latter coming in abundance from Ballycastle,
Colerain, Lough Neagh, Carrickfergus, Bangor, the
Ballywalter shore, and all round to Killough; and are sold,
what maybe called on comparison, extremely cheap. Meal and
Potatoes are also reasonable - but Flesh Meat is not so;
neither are the butchers properly taught how to accommodate
purchasers. They will only cut their meat into large joints,
to the great inconvenience of small families. It is trusted,
as the population of the town encreases, and as opposition
makes these butchers more anxious to retain their customers,
they will be induced to lay aside this system.
There is a market for the sale of
Pork and Butter at the bottom of Waring Street, on the
opening at Donegall Quay, where large quantities of superior
pork, and firkin butter, are daily sold, for exportation.
This forms a large branch of the Belfast trade.
The Public Bakery, in Church Street
Was set on foot in
1800, at a period when extreme dearth prevailed, and when
the poor would have felt its effects still more keenly, had
it not been for this useful institution. It is still
conducted with great propriety; and affords not alone the
advantages of accommodating the inhabitant with good bread,
at a fair value, but operates in checking smaller bakeries
from deteriorating the quality and weight of their bread.
Instituted in 1809,
partly for the purpose of abolishing mendicity, which it has
effected in a very great measure; and grants rations of
provisions and fuel to a great many poor families; it is
supported by voluntary subscription. This institution also
affords employment to hundreds of females, by giving out
flax to be spun, and paying a high price for their labour;
thus affording a stimulus to industry, and preserving in
them any remaining portion of former independence. It is
regulated in all its branches by a general committee of 28;
whose conduct, and the usefulness of the institution, have
loudly called forth the admiration of not alone the people
of Belfast, but have also stimulated the citizens of Dublin
to establish a new House of Industry, on similar principles.
This may be considered the most serviceable institution in
town, for it preserves the very existence of the forlorn and
presentment of the Grand Jury of the County of Antrim, in
the year 1817; site, south side of Henrietta Street, being a
continuation of the line of Donegall Square South; length of
its front, 236 feet, rear enclosure extends back 230 feet.
The prison is divided into two separate parts, the right for
females, and left for the male convicts. Greatest number of
persons during the current year, 74.
Public worship every Sunday, by the
respective chaplains. The chapel is so contrived, that the
males and females do not see each other at worship. A
committee of gentlemen meet on Mondays, in the house, for
the inspection if the prison discipline; and are found of
inestimable use in promoting the morals and industry of the
Labour done from April 1, to June 29.
Woven, 2175 yards of 10 hundreds calico.
Linen yarn spun, 282 hanks, or 71 spangles
Oakum picked, 118 stone
Firkins made, 81
Cream of Tartar pounded, 5 barrels
Logwood chipped, 1 ton
Linen webs woven for sheets and shirts for the prisoners, 2
Of Belfast is
situated in the centre of the town, at the terminations of
Waring Street, Donegall Street, North Street, Rosemary
Street and Bridge Street. The building is handsome and
light, of brick, and partially faced with stone. Above are
elegant Assembly Rooms, and below a piazza, where the
merchants assemble - on Mondays at 12 - on Wednesdays at 12
- and on Fridays at 11 o'clock, to transact business. This
building was erected by the late Earl of Donegall, and was
generally considered as having been given by him to the
merchants of Belfast, for the conveniency of trade; however,
a new building is now erecting, immediately opposite to the
Exchange, called the
By shares of £100
each; £20,000 having already been subscribed. This is
intended exclusively for the accommodation of the mercantile
trade; and a good specimen of the independence of the town.
It is building of the best granite, brought from Dublin;
and, from the plan which was approved of, may be expected to
be the handsomest building in Belfast.
A large building,
situated on Hanover Quay, with appropriate stores and
offices for transacting the business of the port.
List of Officers
Sir Stephen May, Collector
James Green, Pro-collector
H. A. S. Harvey, Port-Surveyor
F. Coulson, G. Black, A. Handcock - Land Waiters
C. M. Skinner, Store Keeper
P. Heaney, F. Despard - Assistants
T. Smylie, Guaging Surveyor
George Bristow, Tide Surveyor
James Folingsby, Comptroller
D. Gunning, Clerk of Permits
Arthur Bailie, James Ross, Thomas Green - Clerks
J. Vaughan, R. Carson - Assistants
Henry Ross, James Cork, E. Crickard - Quay Officers
J. Algeo, Timber measurer
R. Ledwich, Land Carriage Officer
David Spence, Scale Porter
A. Hill, Porter in the dry stores
Situate in John
Street, T. Whinnery, Postmaster. In 1796, the revenue
amounted to £2,000. In 1803, 1804 and 1805, average of these
three years, £5,500 each. For many years before, it did not
exceed £2,000 annually.
The Donegall Arms
Hotel, kept by Mr. Thomas Wilson, in Castle Street, is
considered the first in town.
Mr. Patrick Linn's White Cross
Hotel, also in Castle Street, is an old established
house. Mr. Linn himself is long and well known in town, and
known always to be extremely obliging.
Mr. Thomas Campbell, of Ann Street,
has a very excellent Hotel, much resorted to.
Mr. Francis O'Neill, Belfast Arms,
in Rosemary Street, has a commodious house, well fitted up.
Besides various other Hotels,
Taverns, etc., etc.
Post Chaises, Coaches and Jaunting Cars
Mr. Wilson, of the
Donegall Arms - Mr. Linn, White Cross - Mr.
Hotel, Ann Street - and Mr. Miskelly, Commercial
Tavern, Rosemary Street, have very good Post Chaises,
and travelling coaches. They have also Hearses, well
mounted; and the two last persons have Gigs, Jaunting Cars,
Dog-Carts, Buggies, etc. for hire.
Arrival and departure of the different Mail and Stage
Royal Mail Coach,
sets off from No. 10 Castle Street, Belfast, every evening
at 4 o'clock, and arrives at the Waterford Hotel, Sackville
Street, Dublin, at 7 o'clock next morning. Leaves said
Hotel, Dublin, every evening, a quarter before 8 o'clock,
and arrives next morning in Belfast, at 11 o'clock, in time
for the Mails to Donaghadee, Londonderry, etc.
Belfast and Dublin Royal Daily
Mail, starts every morning from No. 10 Castle Street,
Belfast, at 5 o'clock, and arrives at the Waterford Hotel,
Sackville Street, Dublin, at 7 o'clock in the evening.
Leaves said Hotel, Dublin, every morning at 7 o'clock, and
arrives in Belfast at 10 in the evening.
Belfast and Londonderry Royal Mail
Coach, starts from the Donegall Arms, Belfast, at half-past
11, immediately after the arrival of the Dublin Main, and
arrives in Derry at 4 next morning. Starts from Derry at 5
o'clock in the evening, and arrives in Belfast at 9 next
James Johnston's Belfast, Lurgan
and Armagh Day Coach, starts from Magee's Hotel, High
Street, Belfast, on the mornings of Tuesday, Thursday and
Saturday, at 10 o'clock; arrives in Lurgan at 1, and Armagh
at 4; leaves Armagh on the mornings of Monday, Wednesday and
Friday, at 7 in the morning; arrives in Lurgan at 10, and in
Belfast at 2 o'clock. Mr. J. also runs a Car every morning,
(except Sunday) from Lurgan to Belfast, which returns in the
The Wellington Day Coach,
starts from Larne at 6 o'clock, on the mornings of Monday,
Wednesday, Friday, and Saturday, and arrives at Higginson's,
Donegall Street, Belfast, at 10; starts same evenings at 5,
and arrives in Larne at 9.
The Commerce, starts from and
returns to Larne same days and hours as above - stops at
Jameson's Inn, North Street.
The Eagle, starts from Mr. Wm.
Wilson's, Carrickfergus, on the mornings of Monday,
Wednesday, Friday and Saturday, at 8 o'clock in the morning;
arrives at Higginson's Inn, Belfast; returns at 5 o'clock on
the evenings of said days.
James Stevenson runs a Car from
Carrickfergus same days and hours as the Coaches.
Mr. McComb's Coach, starts
from Lisburn every day, (Sunday excepted) and arrives at the
Donegall Arms at 11 o'clock; returns same day at half-past 5
in the evening.
James Knowles's Car, starts
from Ballymena every Tuesday morning, and arrives at
Jameson's Inn, North Street, Belfast; returns every
Thursday, at 10 o'clock in the morning.
E. Vance's Car, starts from
Antrim every Friday, and arrives at Jameson's Inn, North
Street, Belfast; returns same evening.
Robert Duffin's Car, starts
from Holywood, and arrives at Mrs. McCully's, Lower Church
Lane, every morning at 10 o'clock; returns same day at 1
Alexander Halliday's Car,
starts from Bangor every morning, and returns same evening.
There are Cars which generally
come three times in the week from Newtownards, and
return same day. They stop at McCully's, Lower Church Lane.
The Commercial News-Room, in Waring Street, is very
generally resorted to. It is extremely well supplied with
English, Scotch and Irish Papers - the Edinburgh and London
Monthly Reviews - and various Magazines. Subscription, £1.
10s. per annum.
The Linen-Hall News Room
Is situate in the White Linen-Hall buildings, and is
resorted to by private gentlemen, as well as by persons in
active mercantile life. It is also well supplied with a
great variety of London, Scotch, and Irish Papers, Reviews,
Magazines, etc. The room itself is beautiful, and very
pleasantly situated. Subscription, £2. per annum.
Three news-papers are published in this town, and sp
arranged, that five days out of seven are supplied; the
News-Letter being published twice, the Chronicle three times
and the Irishman once a week.
G. Bristow, Esq., Donegall Square; C. M. Skinner, Esq.,
Hanover Quay; Arthur Chichester, Esq., M.P., Donegall Place;
William Clarke, Esq., Donegall Place; W. H. Ferrar, Esq.,
Donegall Street; Rev. E. May, Donegall Place; Gilbert
McIlveen, Esq., Donegall Place. Town Mayor, ? ?. High
Constable, Charles V. Joyce, Esq.
Constables appointed at Court-Leet
Messrs. J. McCutcheon, Church Quay; John McKelvey, South
side North Street; James Crawford, Old Quay; Stephen Daniel,
North side North Street; H. Montgomery, Mill Street -
besides eight county constables, residing in Belfast.
Held every Monday, Wednesday, and Friday from Nine till
Eleven o'clock, for the purchase and sale of wheat, barley
and oats; and for hides on Tuesdays, Wednesdays, Fridays and
town is supplied with spring water, conveyed through the
streets, partly by wooden, and partly by metal pipes, from
the reservoir in Fountain Lane. The Spring-Water Committee
meet every Thursday at 1 o'clock, in their room in Fountain
Mr. James Ferguson, Collector of the tax.
Have been erected at the head of North Street, by Mr.
Milliken; and must prove, if resorted to, extremely useful
to the inhabitants of the town. He has also Cold Baths in
the same concern.
Dispensary and Fever Hospital
In September, 1792, a Dispensary was established here; since
which the Incorporated Charitable Society has been relieved
from any expenditure for medicines. This kind of charity,
for the relief of the sick poor, at their own habitations,
had not been long known, prior to this, in Britain; and had
been only partially tried in Ireland. It, however, became
soon a very popular charity; for in the first four years and
four months, it appears that 2,406 patients had received
medical and surgical advice, and medicines, at an average
expense of £120. per annum, which is the rate of 4s. 4d. per
patient, or £21. 13s. 4d. per hundred patients. Of these
1740 were cured
50 dismissed as incurable
280 either died, or made no report.
In the year 1797, the plan of a Fever
Hospital was laid before the public, by the same person who
had furnished the first idea of a Dispensary; and this was
brought very speedily into use, being connected, from the
first, with the Dispensary upon which it was originally
grafted, and from which it has never been yet separated. The
laws and regulations which were drawn up originally and
printed, for the Dispensary, continue to be the principal
laws of the joint institutions at present.
In the original hospital, in Berry
Street, 73 patients were treated in about six months,
beginning in the summer of 1797. Of the first 60 patients
that were admitted (all of whom were attended by Dr.
Stephenson,) not one died; but when the number admitted had
amounted to 73, the deaths amounted to 3. giving a
proportion of 1 death to 26 1/3. This is a statement of the
general mortality in this small number, without any
exception, and is the earliest document respecting this
branch of the charity.
The Fever Hospital was shut up about
the end of 1797, partly from want of patients, the town not
being then prepared for converting it into a general
hospital, as has since been always done, whenever the fever
declined so far as to render it safe to admit other
In the year 1799, the Fever Hospital
was received, and between 1st December, 1799, and 14th
October, 1800, there is a document showing that 149 patients
had been admitted, of whom 12 died; and from the last date
until 18th August, 1801, 249 were admitted, of whom 18 died;
total admissions up to the last date, 471; total mortality,
33. A calculation was made at that time upon the patients
admitted between 1799 and 1801, from which it appears, that
249 females were admitted for 150 males, and yet the
mortality in the males was greater that in the females, in
the proportion of 8 to 7; that is, while the females
exceeded the males in the ratio of 5 to 3, the deaths of the
males was greater than that of the females, in the ratio of
8 to 7.
From 1808, the Grand Juries of the
County of Antrim presented for the Dispensary, sums equal to
the voluntary subscriptions paid by individuals; and, from
1817, were enabled, under an Act of Parliament, to grant any
sums under £500. per annum towards Fever Hospitals; £400 of
which they grant to this Hospital.
These institutions are under the
direction of a President, Vice-President, Treasurer, and
Committee of 21; two attending Physicians [encreased in
June, 1819, to three,] two consulting Physicians; two
surgeons, and an apothecary, all acting gratuitously, the
The marks of a superintending
Providence seem to have been visible, in the point of time
at which an Hospital, on an extended scale, (absolutely
necessary to the occasion,) was ready to meet those
unforeseen events that were just at hand. This is apparent
from the following circumstances:
1st August, 1817 - Seventeen was the
total number of patients removed from the Old to the New
Hospital; but the dreadful typhus that was immediately to
become so general over these kingdoms, encreased the number
of patients in this Hospital to one hundred and forty one,
in the short space of thirteen weeks, ending 1st Nov.
Total number admitted in those 13 weeks (three months,) was
Of which were dismissed cured
Nov. 27, Remained in Hospital
Jan. 8, 1818
Total number admitted in these three months
Of which were dismissed cured
Number in Hospital June 26, 1819
(But in July, visibly on the increase.)
In may fairly be alleged, that the
inhabitants of Belfast, and its neighbourhood, are indebted
to out enlarged Hospital for their not being visited with
this dreadful complaint in a quadruple proportion.
The cost of this excellent structure
was £5,000, including the Dispensary; and defrayed by
A donation from the Sovereign and Burgesses, out of Poor's
£400 0 0
Three Benefit Plays, by Amateurs (mostly respectable
321 0 0
206 0 0
Three Charity Sermons
482 0 0
Surplus of a Poor's Loan Fund,
113 0 0
Donation from Poor's Fund
97 0 0 - 210 0 0
Gift, by the Proprietors of the White Linen Hall
300 0 0
400 0 0
2319 0 0
Building Subscriptions, 1813 to 1817, Aug. 1.
2000 0 0
Total £4319 0 0
Of the entire cost, a balance is
still due, which there is no doubt of the inhabitants
cheerfully liquidating in gratitude for the preservation of
their families from a desolating calamity, that has, by
means of this Hospital, been almost exclusively confined to
the working and poorer classes of the community.
The incalculable value of the
Dispensary alone, we have not been able to trace to any
accurate calculation of the number of families relieved, -
but we know that it has been very great, and proves of the
utmost importance to the industrious classes of society.
The attention of the Legislature to
the wants and disorders of the poor, has been very
honourably evinced, of late, in different acts of
Instituted in 1794, and supported by subscriptions of the
ladies in Belfast, and a few in the country. The admission
of women for delivery in two years, December 1, 1815, and
December 11, 1817, were 251; average 125 each year.
Female Society for clothing the Poor
Commences in 1812. In the first year 90 persons received
clothes, purchased with private subscriptions; and, in a
subsequent year, 200 families received clothing. In 1817,
this institution was of the greatest importance, by
affording clothing to the poor to the amount of £192; an
appropriate part of which clothing was applied to the use of
convalescent patients, sent out to the Fever Hospital. By
this judicious application, a number of fever relapses were
Belfast Academical Institution
Planned, and subscriptions entered into in 1807,
incorporated by Act of Parliament in 1810, and opened 1814.
It is now under the superintendance of a joint board of
managers and visiters.
The school department is conducted by
several masters, and the collegiate department under the
direction of a faculty, consisting of the several
professors. The buildings form a fine termination of
Chichester Street, Donegall Square North and Wellington
Place; they were erected by voluntary subscription,
amounting to above £16,000 and since enlarged to £22,000.
The school Department is conducted by
several masters, with suitable assistants. As the attention
of each master is entirely directed to one branch of
education, and the several masters are independent of each
other, they are respectively enabled to promote the
improvement of their pupils in those branches for which they
are individually responsible; while they are all equally
interested in the general prosperity of the institution.
The business in this department
continues throughout the year, with the exception of five
weeks vacation at Midsummer, and two at Christmas. Public
examinations are held twice every year, when premiums and
medals are adjudged to such scholars as are distinguished
for proficiency and good conduct.
English - Rev. H. Montgomery, A.M.,
Master - In this school the pupils are instructed in
spelling, reading, grammar, parsing, exercises, prosody,
composition, recitation, history, and chronology. The
principles of universal grammar, and the theories of the
most eminent philologists are explained to the higher
classes; and those Scholars who direct their attention to
the study of History, are taught to make moral deductions
from historical facts. Particular attention is paid to the
theory and practice of Composition, in all its varieties; so
that every Pupil who goes through a regular course in this
School, has an opportunity of preparing himself to engage in
mercantile or professional pursuits, with advantage and
respectability. The Composition and Elocution Classes are
taught at such hours as do not interfere with the regular
business of the School; and are entirely conducted by the
head master 0 Half a Guinea per Quarter.
Writing - Mr. Thomas Spence, Master -
Besides the usual instructions in writing, the scholars are
taught an expeditious running hand, adapted to business; and
instructions in stenography, or short hand, is given to such
as require it - Half a Guinea per Quarter
Arithmetic, Book-keeping, and
Geography - James Thomson, A.M., Master - In the
arithmetical classes the pupils are instructed both in the
theory and practice of arithmetic; and while their attention
is very particularly directed to those rules that are
principally required in the counting house, they are also
made acquainted, especially when their views render it
desirable, with the rules that are preparatory to the study
of the manufacturers and commerce; the construction of maps;
the use of the globes, and various other particulars; with
as much of the most important parts of astronomy as can be
understood by pupils who are not acquainted with mathematics
- Each Half a Guinea per Quarter.
In the mathematical classes are
taught Euelid's Elements, plane and spherical trigonometry,
algebra, fluxions, and conic sections, with other parts of
the higher geometry. The pupils are also taught the
application of these theoretical branches in mensuration,
surveying gauging, navigation, and other useful practical
departments of this science. - One Guinea per Quarter
Classical School - Rev. Wm. Neilson,
D.D., M.R.I.A., Master - The business of this school
consists in the study of the Greek and Latin languages,
ancient geography, history and chronology.
The junior scholars read the Dublin
College entrance course. And while the senior study Cicero,
Livy, Tacitus, and Dalzell's Greek Collectanea Majora, they
constantly read a portion of each author in the above
mentioned course, so as to have it always fresh in their
They are instructed in writing and
speaking Greek and Latin, During the recess of the
collegiate department, Hebrew is taught in this school - One
Guinea per Quarter
French - Adelbert D'Oisy, a native of
France, Master - The scholars are taught grammatically to
read the best French authors, and are instructed in speaking
and writing the French language - One Guinea per Quarter.
Italian - Mr. Gaetano Fabbrini, of
Florence, Master - The Italian language is taught
grammatically, and read and spoken with the Tuscan accent.
The works of Tasso, Guicciardini, Petratch, Davila, and
other eminent authors are used in this school - One Guinea
and a Half per Quarter.
Drawing - Mr. Gaetano Fabbrini, of
Florence, Master - Instructions are given in figure drawing,
ornamental drawing, and oil portrait painting, on Grecian
models, and in the style of the Florentine academy. Civil
architecture also is taught on the proportion fixed by
Vignola; and the theory of perspective, on the plan of Padre
Pozzi - One Guinea and a Half per Quarter
The Collegiate Department is under
the immediate direction of a faculty, consisting of all the
Professors. The College Session commences on the first of
November, and ends on the first of May. Every regular
Student is examined publicly in Greek and Latin, at his
entrance, when silver medals are given for superior
proficiency in these languages. At the end of each session
the Students are examined publicly in the business of the
classes which they have respectively attended during the
session, and premiums are given to those who excel. At the
commencement of each following session they are again
examined on the business of the preceding session; and at
the end of the philosophical course, those who desire a
general certificate of their proficiency, are examined in
Greek, Latin, Logic, and Belles Lettres, Moral Philosophy,
Mathematics, and Natural Philosophy; and certificates are
given to those who answer satisfactorily, authenticated by
the signature of all the professors, and by the seal of the
The following classes form the
Collegiate Department of the Institution.
Greek and Latin - Rev. Dr. Neilson,
Professor - In these classes regular lectures are given on
Greek and Roman history and chronology, geography, and
topography, drama, manners and customs, and philosophy.
Universal grammar, origin and structure of the Greek and
Latin languages, and of the Romaic, or modern Greek; and
select works of the most eminent Greek and Latin authors,
are read. The students are examined, every day, on the
subjects treated of in the lectures, and write essays
adapted to their course of study. Greek, Two Guineas, Latin,
One Guinea and a Half, or both together, Three Guineas per
Logic and Belles Lettres - Rev. Wm.
Cairns, A.M., Professor - The student is instructed by daily
lectures and examinations in the first principles of the
philosophy of the human mind, in the ancient logic, in the
method of writing themes, and in those different kinds of
reasoning and scientific investigation which are adapted to
the state of modern philosophy.
In Belles Lettres the scientific
principles of taste and criticism are explained and applied;
the nature of the beautiful, picturesque, and sublime
investigated; the different kinds of style and figurative
language considered, with discussions and illustrations on
the nature and different kinds of oratory and poetical
composition. The students are regularly employed in writing
essays on the subjects which are treated of in the class -
Two Guineas per Session.
Moral Philosophy - John Young, A.M.,
Professor - In this class there are daily lectures and
examinations, and weekly essays are written by the students,
which are publicly criticised.
The subjects taught are metaphysics,
or the philosophy of the human mind; and ethics, or the
science of human duty. In the former, the origin of our
ideas, the faculties of the human mind, the laws of thought,
the nature and tendency of our appetites, habits, and
passions, are traced and discussed; and , in the latter, the
theory and practice of virtue, the fundamental doctrines of
natural religion, and the general principles of
jurisprudence are explained to the student - Two Guineas per
Mathematics - James Thomson, A.M.,
Professor - In the Junior Class are taught Euclid's
Elements, Plane Trigonometry, and the elementary parts of
Algebra, with several of their applications, especially in
Mensuration. In the Senior Class are taught Spherical
Trigonometry, the higher parts of Algebra, Conic Sections,
and Fluxions, with many if their most useful applications.
Lectures are also delivered on the history of Mathematics,
and other interesting subjects connected with these courses.
The time of the Student's attendance is partly occupied in
hearing lectures and instructions from the Professor, and
partly in being examined on the instructions of the
preceding day - Junior and Senior Courses, Two Guineas each.
Natural Philosophy - William Knight,
L.L.,D., Professor - In this Class, the Professor lectures
once every day, and on two days of the week twice, on
Dynamics, Mechanics, Hydrostatics, Hydraulics, Aerostatics,
Pneumatics, Electricity, Galvanism, Magnetism, Optics,
Astronomy. The lectures include mathematical demonstrations
of the subjects explained, and are illustrated by means of
an extensive philosophical Apparatus. The Students are
examined daily, and write Essays weekly, on subjects
connected with the business of the class - Two Guineas and a
Half per Session.
A course of lectures on Chemistry is
also delivered by Dr. Knight, in which the history, theory,
and practice of this science are detailed, with its
application to the arts and manufacturers. These lectures
also are illustrated by means of a very extensive apparatus,
a cabinet of minerals, and a collection of those substances
which have become objects of chemical research.
Persons who attend only the lectures
on Greek, Latin, Logic, and Belles Lettres, or Moral
Philosophy, pay one guinea per session for each class;
Natural Philosophy, one guinea and a half; and students who
attend both the Mathematical classes during the same
session, are not charged for the junior course.
Hebrew - Rev. Dr. Neilson, Professor
- This language is taught, with points, according to the
pronunciation of Dublin College. The books used are,
Fitzgerald's Grammar, Bible and Buxtorf's, Parkhurst's, or
Frey's Lexicon - Two Guineas per Session.
Irish - The Rev. Dr. Neilson - To the
antiquarian, who would trace the origin of names and
customs, the general philologist, and the person who expects
to have intercourse with the west and south of Ireland, this
language is equally interesting - Two Guineas per Session
Elocution - Rev. W. D. H. McEwen -
This class is conducted principally with a view to the
elocution of the pulpit and the bar. The students are
exercised in reading and reciting appropriate passages from
the best English authors.
During the last session, a course of
lectures was delivered in the Institution by James L.
Drummond, M.D., on the anatomy, physiology, and pathology of
man and other animals.
Lectures on Divinity are delivered to
the students of the Synod of Ulster, by Samuel Hanna, D.D.;
and to the students of the Associate Synod, by the Rev. S.
At the end of the collegiate course,
which occupies at least three sessions, students who apply
for a general certificate are examined in Latin, Greek,
logic, belles lettres, metaphysics, moral philosophy,
mathematics, and natural philosophy, and receive, if they
give full satisfaction, a testimonial of their proficiency
in the collegiate course, signed by all the professors, and
authenticated by the seal of the Institution.
Besides class-rooms, the buildings
contain two excellent dwelling houses, with suitable
accommodation for boarders. One of these is at present
occupied by the Rev. Dr. Neilson, Classical head master, and
the other by the Rev. H. Montgomery, English head master.
The terms in each, exclusive of Tuition, are the same viz.
Boarding, Thirty Guineas per Annum - Washing, Three Guineas.
The Belfast Academy, Donegall Street
Was founded in 1786, under the direction of a president,
trustees, and patrons - John Holmes, Esq., President; first
Principal, James Crombie, D.D., succeeded on his death by
William Bruce, D.D., the present Principal, and master of
the boarding and classical schools. Rev. Josias Alexander,
master of the mathematical and mercantile school. Mr. Robert
Telfair, master of the writing school. Mr. James Mawhinney,
master of the English school. Monsieur Louis Le Pan, French
Belfast daily Lancasterian School, Frederick Street
This institution first originated in 1802, and was then
called the "Belfast Sunday School;" its professed object
being the communication of instruction to that class of
children, whose occupations prevented them from attending
school during the week, and also to those, whose parents
were unable to pay for their education. It was then managed
by a number of benevolent individuals belonging to the town.
They formed themselves into a Committee of twenty, the one
half of whom acted as teachers, and the remaining number
were chosen by the teachers themselves, from among the
subscribers. The Committee, not considering it their duty to
exclude any persons from the benefits of education on
account of the religious opinions which they held, opened
the school to children of all denominations; and, in
conformity with the same liberal principle, they deemed it
expedient to allow no catechisms of faith, or books of
controversy, to be used in the school. The plan of
instruction adopted at that time, was nearly the same as is
taught in other Sunday schools.
The "Belfast Sunday School" continued
to be conducted on the same scale until the year 1810, when
it was determined to open a daily school, for the reception
of 700 children, to be conducted on the plan invented by Mr.
Joseph Lancaster. A Subscription was entered into for this
purpose, and several hundred pounds were collected; but that
sum proving inadequate to the erection of a building
sufficiently spacious, an ingenious and useful expedient was
resorted to, to supply the deficiency - a lottery. By the
zealous and unremitting exertions of several individuals of
the Committee, this mode of raising money was put into
effect with considerable success. The profits, after all
expenses were paid, amounted to a large sum, which, with the
subscriptions that had been formerly collected, enabled the
Committee to erect the present school-house. It is now
called the "Belfast Lancasterian School," and is open every
day in the week, except Sunday, for the instruction of
children of all religious persuasions. The entire expenses
of the institution are defrayed by public subscription.
The building is calculated to
accommodate 700 children - 500 males and 200 females. The
number at present in attendance is 680.
The boys' school is conducted by Mr.
Maurice Cross; and the females are under the superintendance
of Miss Sarah Johnston.
Under the name of the Belfast Society for Promoting
Knowledge, contains a valuable collection of books, daily
increasing, and a museum; supported by subscriptions of a
guinea per annum, and two guineas entrance. Instituted in
1788. Its rooms are in the front of the White Line-hall,
opposite Donegall Place. The Library contains between three
and four thousand volumes, carefully selected by a committee
that meets monthly; many of them scarce and expensive books,
seldom found in private libraries. Two books lent out at a
time, and complete accommodation for readers' in the rooms.
A member may sell or bequeath his share, on condition of the
person to whom it is sold or bequeathed being approved of on
a ballot by the society.
Belfast Literary Society
Instituted October 3rd, 1801, meets on the first Monday in
every month, from October till May, inclusive. Its objects
are science, antiquities and literature. The members read
papers on these subjects in rotation. Each session is opened
and closed with a discourse from the President.
Association for discountenancing Vice
A branch of this highly useful institution was established
in August, 1815, under the patronage of the Lord Bishop of
Down and Connor, for the distribution of moral and religious
tracts, at reduces prices; also, cheap Prayer-books,
Testaments, and Bibles. Mr. Robert Hull, No. 18 Castle
Street, is appointed their bookseller.
PLACES OF WORSHIP
The Old Church
The Old Church and its burying ground were at the east end
of High Street, south side; the site of the present Chapel
of Ease. The wall of Forest-Lane was the eastern boundary
from the sea, before that great square of ground was
reclaimed from it, on which Hanover and Custom House Quays,
Weigh-House Lane, Prince's Street and part of Ann Street
were formed, and in considerable part built, by G.
Macartney, Esq., in the reigns of Queen Ann, and Geo. I.
It is traditionary report, that the
Church tower had been erected by Oliver Cromwell, as a
magazine for his troops, for which it was well calculated,
by being raised on four massy arches. Probably he found it
there, and, with his usual contempt for churches, converted
it into that purpose.
In 1710, it was stated to Parliament,
that the tithes and dues received by the vicar amounted,
communibus annis, to £180. per annum.
The earliest vicar we have been able
to trace, is the Rev. Claudius Gilbert, F.T.C.D., in 1696;
after him, but how long is uncertain, the Rev. W. Tisdall,
who was succeeded by a Dr. Stewart, the immediate
predecessor of the Rev. James Saurin, who was appointed in
1746, and died in 1772, after being 26 years incumbent. He
was father to the present Attorney-General of Ireland.
In 1775, Mr. Saurin was succeeded by
the Rev. William Bristow, who officiated in the old church
till it was taken down, in 1777, in consequence of an alarm
during divine service, that it was likely to fall. The
congregation, till the opening of the new church, (St.
Ann's) were accommodated in the meeting houses of their
Dissenting brethren. The church yard was, several years
afterwards, interdicted by Act of Parliament, as burying
Situate in Donegall Street, on the site of a Linen Hall.
Its erection commenced about 1777; its first pastor was the
Rev. W. Bristow, who had for two years before been vicar. He
died in 1808, at the age of 73; 33 years a minister in this
Through the ignorance of an
English architect, in connecting the frame work of the
foundation of the tower, with that of the body of the house,
the former, by its greater weight, sunk deeper, and
occasioned rents in the superstructure, which rendered it
unsafe to finish the upper part of the tower with stone. It
was, therefore, carried up with timber, and the intention of
the late Marquis of Donegall to introduce a set of bells,
The Chapel of Ease
Was erected in 1811, on the site of the Old Church, east end
of High Street. The cost was defrayed partly by
subscriptions of the inhabitants of all denominations, and
by aids from the Board of First-Fruits. Its first and
present minister is the Rev. J. W. Fea.
Its portico is of the Corinthian
order, and was the elegant gift of the present Bishop of
Down, brought from the late Bishop of Derry's palace at
Ballyscullion, upon the dilapidation and sale of that noble
Meeting House of the First Presbyterian Congregation
The present admired elliptical structure, was finished in
1783, on the site of their former Meeting House, in an
enclosure off Rosemary Street. The time of the erection of
the original house we have not ascertained; probably it was
about the year 1645.
It appears that in the years
1672 - Their Pastor was the Rev. W. Keyes, who, two years
afterwards, was removed to Dublin, and died in 1696.
1675 - Rev. Patrick Adair, who died 1694, 19 years Minister.
1697 - Rev. John Macbride, died 1721, 24 years Minister.
1711 - Rev. Thomas Melling, (his colleague) ordained at
Leyden, 2 years Minister' died 1713.
1719 - Rev. Samuel Haliday, (ordained at Geneva) died 1738,
19 years Minister.
1736 - (about) Rev. Thomas Drennan, his colleague and
successor, died 1768, 32 years Minister.
1756 - Rev. James Mackay, Mr. Drennan's second colleague,
and successor, died 1781.
1770 - Rev. James Crombie, D.D. (of Saint Andrew's) his
colleague and successor, died 1790, 20 years Minister.
1790 - Rev. William Bruce, D.D., one of its present Pastors.
1812 - Rev. William Bruce, jun., his son and colleague.
Meeting House of the Second Presbyterian Congregation
The original members of this Congregation formed part of the
First, but separated in consequence of the house being too
small to accommodate the increased number of the whole. 120
families divided, and the Second House was erected in 1708,
in the same inclosure with the other, off Rosemary Street.
For some years the stipend of both continued to form only
one fund, and to be equally divided between the pastors of
In 1708, the first Pastor was the Rev. ? Kilpatrick, D.D. &
M.D., author in 1713, of "An Historical Essay on the Loyalty
of Presbyterians." He was succeeded.
In 1744, by the Rev. Gilbert Kennedy, who died in 1773,
after having been Minister 29 years.
1773 - Rev. James Bryson
1791 - Rev. Patrick Vance, died 1800, 9 years Minister
1800 - Rev. W. H. Drummond, D.D., removed to Dublin 1815
1816 - Rev. W. D. H. McEwen, its present Pastor.
Meeting House of the Third Presbyterian Congregation
This Congregation originally consisted of members of the
First and Second; having separated, in 1722, on points of
doctrine, particularly on subscription to the Westminster
Confession of Faith.
In 1722 - its first Pastor was the Rev. Thomas Mastertown,
who died in 1750, 28 years its Minister.
1747 - Rev. William Laird, his colleague and successor; died
in 1791, 44 years its Minister.
Sinclaire Kelburn, latterly his colleague, and successor,
1799 - Rev. Samuel Hanna, D.D., its present Pastor
Meeting House of the Fourth Presbyterian Congregation
In Donegall Street; was built in 1792. Its first Pastor was
the Rev. James Bryson, who died 1796.
Present Pastor, the Rev. R. Acheson.
Meeting House of Independents
In Donegall Street; built in 1804. Rev. William Brown
Chapel, east side of Donegall Square; built 1805. Second do.
off Waring Street; built 1816; erected by part of the
society favourable to the administration of the ordinances
of Baptism and the Lord's Supper.
Reformed Presbyterian Covenanters' Meeting House
Built in 1812, is situated south of the White Linen Hall,
having the Dublin road in front, and the Blackstaff river in
rear. It is now finishing; and will comfortably accommodate
525 people. Cost, including the wall, retiring house,
stables, etc. £1500. Its Pastor is the Rev. Josias
Friends' or Quakers' Meeting House
In Frederick Street; built in 1812; meet first day of the
week, at 11 o'clock in the morning; and at 5 o'clock in the
evening in summer, and 2 in winter; fifth day of the week,
at 10 o'clock in the morning.
Seceders' Meeting House
In Berry Street. Of the class denominated Anti-Burghers,
till the union with Burghers in 1818. Built in 1770. Its
first Pastor was the Rev. W. Carmichael, who died 1798;
second, the Rev. John Nicholson, who died 1814; present
Pastor, the Rev. Wm. Carr.
Baptists' Meeting House
In King Street; a small congregation.
Roman Catholic Chapels
Old one in Chapel Lane; built in 1783; cost £1200, first
Pastor, the Rev. Hugh O'Donnell, who died 1813.
New Chapel, in Donegall Street; built
in 1811; cost £6000. Present Pastor of both Chapels, the
Rev. W. Crolly.
Poor House and Infirmary
Foundation laid in 1771 - built by subscription and private
lottery; fir for the reception of the poor in 1774, and
persons received into it, who were with difficulty persuaded
to quit their ruinous cabins, in the vicinity of the town.
Average number of persons supported
in the house through the past year, (1774) and each
succeeding one, up to November 1, 1818 - 358 persons, old
Maintenance and expense in the year, £3368 6 5
Received by annual subscriptions of the inhabitants £
791 11 4
130 11 10
234 16 5
249 15 0
The Rob Roy, Captain Smith, sails regularly twice a week
from Belfast to Glasgow; leaving Belfast every Monday and
Thursday, and Glasgow every Wednesday and Saturday. The hour
of sailing maybe known by applying at the agents office
William Hill & Co., 3 Chichester Quay.
The Sir William Wallace,
Captain A. MacNair, sails from Belfast to Glasgow on Sundays
and Wednesdays, and returns from Glasgow on Tuesdays and
Fares - In Cabin, Beds included £1
0 14 0
The works for making the river Lagan navigable, and opening
a passage by water between Lough Neagh and the town of
Belfast, were commences in the year 1754, and completed in
the manner first intended, (with the exception of a track
way for horses) under the management of the Corporation for
promoting and carrying on an Inland Navigation in Ireland,
and local Commissioners, as far as Blaris, about a mile S.W.
of Lisburn, including the locks erected in the year 1768,
called the Union Locks. Expense, about sixty thousand
pounds; sixteen thousand pounds being granted directly by
the Irish Parliament, ten thousand pounds lent by the late
Marquis of Donegall and others, and the remainder produces
by local duties of one penny per gallon on beer, and four
pence per gallon on Irish spirits, brewed and distilled
within certain parts of the excise district of Lisburn, or
brought thereinto; which duties were granted by an act of
the 27th Geo. II. chap. 3, and continued since by several
successive acts. In the year 1779, it appearing that the
produce of the local duties would be insufficient to
complete the Navigation from Belfast to Lough Neagh, an act
was passed in the session of 1779 and 1780, to incorporate
such persons as had advances money on any former acts, or
should advance money under that act, for carrying on the
Navigation, under the name of "The Company of Undertakers of
the Lagan Navigation." Under this act, the late Marquis of
Donegall, who had, under the former acts, advanced £7,815 of
the £10,000 formerly subscribed, advanced sixty two thousand
pounds, for which sum the Canal, commencing at the Union
Locks, and ending at Ellis's gut, a bay of Lough Neagh, was
completed under the direction of Richard Owen, Esq.
Engineer. The work was begun in the year 1781, and opened
1st January, 1794. This part of the Navigation is still
water, fourteen English miles in length, crossing the river
Lagan by a handsome aqueduct of four arches, having 10
descending locks, each of 7 feet fall, 66 feet long, and 15½
feet wide; and 13 public road bridges. The summit level,
which commences at the Union Locks, and extends nearly to
the village of Aghalee, is 11 English miles in length; 28
feet wide at bottom, and 52 to 60 feet at top, and 7 feet
deep; expanding at Friars' Glen, near Soldiers' Town, into a
beautiful lake, in surface upwards of 46 acres.
In consequence of the injudicious
plan originally adopted, (contrary to repeated remonstrances
at the time, from the merchants of Belfast.) of adhering
closely to the bed of the river, and the works being thereby
much more exposed to injury, than if the Navigation has been
carried on out of the bed of the river; and proper care not
having been taken to keep them in any kind of repair; this
part of the Navigation got into an extremely ruinous state.
Besides, Mr. Owens being, from want of funds, prevented from
completing works commenced by him, for supplying the summit
level with water, this level was always, during summer,
reduced so low as to render it unnavigable for three months
in the year. So that, from the floods in winter, the bad
repair of the old works, and the want of an adequate supply
of water for the new Canal, the passage of boats was so
tedious and uncertain, as to render the Navigation of little
* An anecdote has been told, of the truth of which there
is but too little reason to doubt - that when the original
canal was first opened, a vessel made a voyage out and home,
from the West Indies, during the time that a lighter passed
from Belfast to and from Lough Neagh
Such was the early state of the
Navigation, when, with a view to render it useful to the
public, a number of persons (principally merchants of
Belfast,) purchased, in the year 1809, a considerable
portion of the interest on the Marquis of Donegall therein,
and also subscribed a large sum of money, as a fund for
repairs and improvements, which were immediately commenced;
and since that period, upwards of £20,000 have been expended
on the Navigation. In consequence of this, although a full
supply of water has not been obtained for the summit level,
nor a tract way for horses completed throughout - yet, with
the exception of a few weeks in the depth of winter, the
passage is so regular, that this Navigation now enjoys
public confidence, and the trade is rapidly encreasing.
During the year ending 5th January
last, 196 boats, of from 40 to 50 tins burthen, passed laden
from Belfast to Lough Neagh; 63, principally laden with
coals and lime, passed from Belfast to the summit level; 202
from Belfast to Lisburn; and 18 from Belfast short of
Lisburn. And 63 lighters arrived, laden principally with
grain, from the Lake to Belfast; 28 from summit level to
The time usually occupied in passing
a loaded lighter from Belfast to Lisburn is 14 hours. Do. to
summit level, 16 to 24 hours, according to distance. Do. to
Lake, 28 to 30 hours. And this season, the average time
occupied by a voyage from Belfast out, and home, to Moy,
Blackwater Town, or Coal Island, is 7 days, including the
time of loading and discharging. One lighter made three
voyages this season, with coals, from Belfast to Moy, in
three successive weeks.
We have extracted from the returns
ordered by Parliament the following account of the receipts
and expenditure of the Company, for the last five years.
1814 - Duties £3752 19
823 11 3
--------------4576 10 9
1815 - Duties £1606 10
692 1 10½
--------------2295 11 10½
1816 - Duties £2106 10
771 11 9
--------------2878 1 9
1817 - Duties £3106 10
890 8 7
-------------3996 18 7
1818 - Duties £3656 10
-------------4703 9 4½
Total in five years £ 18453 12
£ 5174 16 1½
2999 5 11
2501 12 3
4733 16 4
4422 15 4½
Total expenditure in five years £19835 6
Of which only £620 have been paid in dividends to the
In consequence of the improvements of
the Lagan Navigation, lighters are now enabled to pass,
drawing six to nine inches more water than formerly; which,
together with the facility and despatch with which
voyages are now performed, has been the means of reducing
the rates of freight upwards of 25 per cent.
An account of the number and tonnage
of the boats annually plying on the Lagan Navigation, for
the years commencing severally, 6th Jan. 1814, 6th Jan.
1815, 6th Jan. 1816, 6th Jan. 1817, 6th Jan. 1818, and 6th
Year commencing 6th January, 1814 - 56 boats; tonnage, per
estimation, 3340 tons
Year commencing 6th January, 1815 - 41 boats; tonnage, per
estimation, 1640 tons
Year commencing 6th January, 1816 - 44 boats; tonnage, per
estimation, 1760 tons
Year commencing 6th January, 1817 - 57 boats; tonnage, per
estimation, 2280 tons
Year commencing 6th January, 1818 - 68 boats; tonnage, per
estimation, 2720 tons
Messrs. Robert Bradshaw
Meet every second Thursday - Office,
2 Queen Street
Register, and Inspector of Lagan
Duties, James McCleery.
Engineer, Richard Owen
Ballast Office, Addenda
The benefit resulting to the commercial interest, from the
institution of a Ballast Office,
(see here) appears in the following facts:
Previous to its establishment, no
vessel could discharge at the Coal-Quay, that drew more than
nine feet water. Now, vessels of eleven feet and a half can
be discharged there - At. Chichester Quay, in springs,
vessels drawing twelve feet can be discharged - And at
Donegall, called Tomb's Quay, (where the large ships and
foreigners lie,) vessels drawing so much as fourteen feet
List of Churches, etc. in Belfast, with their situations,
Preachers, and times of service