Home   -  8th Belfast HAA  -   Genealogy Links
WW1 Memorial  -  WW2 Memorial
Please sign my Guestbook 

please donate

1805 - 1806 - 1807 - 1808 - 1819 - 1843 - 1852 - 1861 - 1868 - 1877 - 1880 - 1890
1901 - 1907 - 1908 - 1910 - 1912 - 1918 - 1924 - 1932 - 1943 - 1951 - 1960
1913 Tel. directory    1824 Pigots (Belfast)  &  (Bangor)   1894 Waterford Directory    1898 Newry Directory  Bangor Spectator Directory 1970

  Royal Irish Rifles 2nd Bn. Album

Justus Ac Tenax - Walter Edwin Carson McCammond                                      Quis Separabit                                 

Green Uniform, Dark Facings.  District, Belfast. being The Record of the Service of the Battalion, together with a Series of Reproductions of Photographs taken by F. B. Stewart, at Poona, India, February 1897
Lt. Col. H. A. Eagar, Commanding
Made by the Historical Publishing Co., Philadelphia, U.S.A.
Published by C. B. Burrows, Care Wm. Watson & Co. Bombay and London
Record of Services of the Royal Irish Rifles
2nd Battalion (Late 86th Foot)

The Harp and Crown, with the Motto "Quis Separabit?" The Sphinx, Superscribed "Egypt."
Facings, Yellow.   Lace, Silver.

"India." "Cape of Good Hope, 1806." "Bourbon." "Talavera." "Busaco." "Fuentes D'Onor." "Cuidad Rodrigo." "Badajoz." "Salamanca." "Vittoria." "Nivelle." "Orthes." "Toulouse." "Peninsula." "Central India."

          The regiment was formed at Shrewsbury on the breaking out of the war with Frances in 1793, but it was recruited principally in Yorkshire, Lancashire and Cheshire, and bore the appellation of "General Cayler's Shropshire Volunteers." The following is a copy of the warrant ordering the formation of the regiment:

       "GEORGE, REX" Whereas, We have thought fit to order a regiment of foot to be forthwith raised under your command, which is to consist of ten companies, with three sergeants, three corporals, two drummers and fifteen private men in each company, with two fifers to the grenadier company, besides a sergeant-major and quartermaster sergeant, together with the usual commissioned officers;
          "These are to authorize you, by beat of drum or otherwise, to raise so many men in any county, or part of our Kingdom of Great Britain, as shall be wanted to complete the said regiment to the above mentioned numbers.
          "And all magistrates, justices of the peace, constables, and other of our civil officers whom it may concern, are hereby required to be assisting unto you in providing quarters, impressing carriages and otherwise, as there shall be occasion.  "Given at our Court of St. James, the first day of November, 1793, in the thirty-fourth year of our reign.  "To our trusty and well-beloved C. Cayler, Esq., major-general in our army, and colonel of a regiment of foot, to be forthwith raised, or to the officer appointed by him to raise men for our said regiment.    "By His Majesty's Command, "(Signed) GEORGE YONGE."
          The regiment was duly raised and officers, of whom there were thirty-three, appointed, and in April 1794 it was removed to Ireland, and shortly after that it received the name of the 86th or "Shropshire Volunteers." In January, 1795, the regiment was selected to serve as marines, and portions of it embarked in the following line-of-battle ships, viz., the "Prince of Wales," "Triumph," "Brunswick" and" Hector," while other portions were posted to the "Prince," "Saturn" and "Boyne." While serving as Marines the regiment went through many stirring scenes, the detachment on the "Boyne" losing all their kit when that ship was burnt and blown up on the first of May, 1795, at Spithead. Other portions of the regiment took part, on board the "Triumph," in the retreat of Vice-Admiral Cornwallis' squadron of five sail before the French fleet of thirty-one sail, twelve of which were line-of-battleships, and in which the" Triumph" and the "Mars" took the principal part, showing so bold a front that the French were induced to give up the pursuit. Other portions were serving in H. M. S. "Prince of Wales" and the "Prince," on June 2, 1795, when these two ships, under Rear-Admiral Harvey, chased part of a French fleet of fourteen sail and captured three of them, the remainder escaping owing to the Island of St. Croix being mistaken for the island of Bell Isle, in consequence of which the English admiral ordered the action to cease for fear the ships might get on shore.
          Early in 1796 volunteering to the marine corps was prohibited, and the detachments doing duty on board ship were ordered to rejoin, and in September of the same year the regiment embarked for the Cape of Good Hope, where it remained till February, 1799, when it proceeded to the East Indies. In 1800, three companies of the 86th formed part of a force under Colonel the Honorable Arthur Wellesley, which landed in Ceylon with the intention of capturing the French Islands of France and Bourbon, but the expulsion of the French from Egypt having been determined on by the Home Government, the force was recalled and returned to Bombay, where Major-General Baird assumed the command on March 30, I80I, the whole force sailing on the following day and landing at Cossier, in Upper Egypt, on June 18. Previous to this three companies, under Lieutenant-Colonel Lloyd, had embarked on December 26, 1800, with a battalion of Bombay Sepoys, and had sailed for Egypt, where they arrived (at Suez) on May 16, 1801. Preparations having been made for crossing the desert to Cairo, on June 4, 1801, the troops were landed, and on June 6 began a march which will ever be memorable in the records of the British army, and which will be best described in the words of the historian of the time.
          "On the sixth, at 6 p. m., the 86th commenced the march, with an allowance of only three pints of water per man for forty-eight hours, and, from the state of the skins, even that quantity could not be insured. Arab sheiks, whom the Vizier had furnished, acted as guides and were made responsible for the safe passage of the detachment. The distance from Suez to Cairo is, in a straight line, not more than 58 miles, but the conductors, fearing that the French might endeavor to intercept the detachment, informed Lieutenant-Colonel Lloyd that a detour of ten or twelve miles would be necessary. The day had been very sultry, with the thermometer at 109, which, however, as night drew on, fell to 94.
          "Before 9 o'clock three officers were taken so seriously ill as; to be unable to proceed. At 11 o'clock, after a march of twelve miles, the lieutenant-colonel halted for two hours, when, as the thermometer fell to 86, the troops moved again and continued marching till 7 o'clock the following morning.
          The day then became so intolerably hot that the commanding officer, contrary to his first intentions on account of the trouble and exertion necessary to load and unload the camels, ordered tents to be pitched that the men might find shelter from the sun. Twenty-six miles of the journey were then calculated to have been performed.
         "At 10 o'clock a.m. the guides advised the lieutenant-colonel that the troops should immediately advance, as the day threatened to become extremely hot, and if the camels rested on the sand their limbs would soon become stiff from the heat and they would require water before they would move again, whereas, if kept advancing, they would not suffer by the heat of the atmosphere in so fatal a degree, adding that they suspected that the camel drivers might steal the water while the soldiers slept, which they feared from the state of the skins would, even as it was, be found scarcely sufficient. These arguments, and the reflection that the guides being responsible for the march should have their wishes as much as possible complied with, determined the commanding officer to proceed. The tents were therefore struck, and at 11 o'clock a.m. the march was resumed , with the thermometer at 109. Captain Cayler, who had joined in a feeble state of health, fainted, and a camel and two men were left to bring him on .
          "About 1 o'clock the lieutenant-colonel, finding the men were dropping fast to the rear, halted the detachment and, with a view of affording the soldiers as much relief as possible, cast off his own baggage from the camels, which example was followed by all the officers. As many men as could be carried were then mounted on camels and the troops again moved forward. At 2 o'clock the thermometer rose to 116, and at that time a camseen, or south wind, began to blow. The dreadful sensation experienced when the wind blows from that quarter can scarcely be described, and here its effects were aggravated by every horror. The lieutenant-colonel persevered until 4 o'clock p.m. when the exhausted state of the detachment obliged him to halt. Many officers and soldiers were seized with giddiness, and loss of sight, others fell down gasping for breath and calling out for water. On examining the skins it was fond that the sun had cracked them, which caused them to leak. and the water that remained had become puddles of a very thick consistency, full of maggots. Necessity, however, required that the wretched beverage should be distributed, and the men swallowed it with avidity, though vomiting and violent pains in the bowels were the immediate consequences. The officers had brought with them some wine which they now divided amongst the soldiers. Spirits were mixed with the remaining water, and each man had an equal share poured into his canteen, and the whole were warned that every drop was then in their possession, and that on their own prudence must depend whether or not they would be enabled to accomplish the remainder of the march.
          "At seven o'clock the order to resume the march was given. Seventeen men, unable to proceed (even on the backs of camels) were necessarily left on the ground, and with them, camels to enable them to follow on. After a march of six miles, during which several officers and men felt the extraordinary sensation of seeing water, camels and other animals moving with the most rapid transition before them, the detachment again halted at eleven o'clock at night. The night was excessively dark, and everyone was so fatigued that unconquerable desire to sleep seized upon al1. At four o'clock on the morning of the eighth, the guides awoke Lieutenant-Colonel Lloyd, and the soldiers were formed with difficulty in order of march. A very heavy dew had fallen during the night, so that their limbs were so benumbed with cold that they could scarcely walk. The camseen commenced the same hour as on the day before, but the soldiers were not affected to the same degree as before. By great perseverance the detachment, between four and five in the afternoon, reached the springs of El-Hankre. Nine of the seventeen men who had been left behind on the seventh were never heard of again , The following day the detachment joined the army, and was present at the surrender of Cairo by the French, as was also the detachment with Major-General Baird's division. The object of the expedition being now attained, the detachments of the regiment returned to India the following year, landing at Bombay, July 4, 1802. Meantime the companies left behind in Bombay had taken part in an expedition against the Rajah 'Mulhar Rao' and were present at the taking of Kirkee, the first assault on which place was repulsed with considerable loss, including two officers of the regiment. These companies returned to Bombay in 1802, and the whole regiment was then recruited. For its services in Egypt in 1801, the regiment was granted the distinction of wearing the 'Sphinx,' superscribed Egypt, on its appointments. In the following December the regiment again sailed to Cambay, and were present at the taking of Baroda, after which it was several times employed in detachments against the Gaekwar, who was several times defeated, notably in June, 1803, when a force of 400 rank and file of the regiment, with a battalion of Sepoys, and four field pieces, under the command of Captain Richardson (86th), defeated a large force on the river near Broach, where many of the enemy were driven into the water and were drowned sooner than surrender. In August of the same year it was determined to take the fortress of Broach, and, on the twenty-seventh of that month, a breach being reported practicable, it was decided to storm the fortress. Sergeant John Moore of the Light Company led the 'Forlorn Hope,' with twelve volunteers. Major Cayler and Captain Richardson led the storming parties, and after a desperate resistance the ramparts were gained, the colours of the enemy hauled down, and those of the 86th hoisted. For his gallant conduct in leading the assault, Sergeant Moore was presented by the Bombay government with 500 rupees and he would have been promoted to an ensigncy, had he been otherwise qualified. The loss of the regiment was one captain, two sergeants and ten privates killed, and one major, two captains and twenty-three rank and file wounded. From this time the regiment was employed, till the end of 1804, against Scindia, and, after that chief's submission, against Holkar. During this latter period the force of which the regiment formed a part was forced to retreat in the middle of the rainy season, and, all the gun and baggage animals having died, the guns had to be dragged through the cotton soil, the men up to their waists in water. From May to October in 1804 the regiment lost 118 men. On December 26, Major-General Jones arrived, and took over command of the force, which consisted of the 86th, eight companies of the 65th and four battalions of Bombay Sepoys, with artillery, the whole being termed the Bombay Army, with orders to join the Army of Bengal before Bhurtpore. On February 11, 1805, the Bombay Army reached Bhurtpore after a long and tiring march, and encamped with the Madras and Bengal Army, the latter of whom had already failed in their assaults with considerable loss. General Lord Lake inspected the Bombay Army on the following day. The soldiers of the 65th and 86th were at that time in rags, their uniforms were worn out and patched in all colors, or replaced by red cotton jackets, and they wore, in many cases, sandals instead of shoes, and turbans instead of hats.
          "As the siege had been some time in progress another assault was ordered on February 20. The 86th furnished 250 men for the storming party, and, with the flank companies of the 8th Bengal Sepoys, under Captain Grant (86th), were ordered to storm an outwork which greatly retarded the siege. The party under Captain Grant stormed the outwork and made an unsuccessful attempt to enter at one of the gates with the retiring enemy. The gates were closed to the enemy, who were thus shut out. Having destroyed the gates, the troops retreated to camp with eleven brass guns captured in the outwork, which was successfully reached, after a desperate attack by the enemy who sallied out and directed all their efforts against the men of the 86th.
          "During the day the enemy's cavalry attacked the camp and the total loss of the army on that day was nearly 900 killed and wounded. General Lord Lake expressed in orders his high commendations of the gallantry displayed by the party under Captain Grant, and directed the eleven guns to be placed in front of the encampment of the 86th - an honour which was highly prized by the regiment and by the Bombay Division of the Army. On February 21 another assault was made, in which the flank companies of the 86th formed part of the storming party, but this assault also failed, and, after fighting the greater part of the day, our men were forced to retire, after sustaining a loss of nearly 1000 killed and wounded. The losses of the regiment in these two attacks were two sergeants and twenty-three rank and file killed, and one captain, four subalterns, one sergeant, one drummer and seventy-three rank and file wounded, the greater of whom died. Shortly afterwards, the negotiations with Holkar having been concluded, the army was broken up, and the 86th marched to Bombay, from where it sailed to Goa, and landed on April 3, 1806. The loss of the regiment between November, 1803, and October, 1804, was 298 rank and file and ten officers.
          "In October, 1806, His Majesty was pleased to direct the regiment to be called the '86th or Leinster Regiment.' From April, 1806,till the beginning of 1810, the regiment served in Goa, when it sailed to Madras, from where it again sailed, its destination being unknown, but it was understood to be the French islands of Mauritius and Bourbon. It arrived at the Island of Rodrigues, where Lieutenant-Colonel Keating, of the 56th Regiment. assumed the command, having with him 150 rank and file of the 56th Regiment, and 200 Bombay Sepoys. The troops having been embarked, and the necessary instructions given to the officers commanding brigades, the fleet got under weigh for the attack on the Island of Bourbon.
          "The following is the official report of Lieutenant-Colonel Fraser, second in command, which fully details the part borne by the regiment in the capture of the island:
                          "Saint Denis, Isle of Bourbon,
                                           "July 9, 1810.
          "Sir - I have the honour to forward to you a detailed account of the operations of the detachments of this brigade from the period of our separation from the rest of the force, on the evening of the 6th inst., until your arrival at the post we occupied before Saint Denis at 5 o'clock p.m. the 8th inst.
          " His Majesty's 86th Regiment having been removed from the 'Minerva' transport on board H.M. Ship 'Syrias,' and being joined by the grenadier company and other Sepoys of the 6th Madras Native Infantry, under the command of Captain Moody, amounting to 180 bayonets, a small detachment of coast artillery, consisting of two subalterns, one sergeant, one corporal, two gunners, and sixty Madrasses, commanded by Lieutenant Abdy, with a four and a half inch howitzer and fifty pioneers under orders of Lieutenants Schooler and Davis of the engineer corps. Captain Vym was enabled to make sail about 11 o'clock p.m., and about I o'clock p.m., on the 7th inst., we lay - to off Grand Chaloupe, and immediately commenced our debarkation. The moment the grenadiers, commanded by Captain Lanphier, and the light infantry, led by Lieutenant Archibald McLean, with Major Mathews of the 19th Regiment (who did us the honor to accompany us as a volunteer) had effected their landing at 2p.m., I pushed the latter forward, supported by the former, to drive away small parties of the enemy's riflemen, who were keeping up a harassing fire, and to secure possession of the heights.
          "This service having been most gallantly and successfully performed, I halted for the body of the regiment and, conformably with the orders I received, I moved forward with the regiment without waiting for the artillery, Sepoys, or pioneers, till I reached the heights above Saint Denis, and descended towards it to within range of the enemy's batteries and musketry with about 350 bayonets. At 5.30 o'clock p.m. when the sun was just setting, I had not sufficient daylight to reconnoitre the ground, but I had the mortification to ascertain that I could not, that evening, expect any co-operation or assistance from the other divisions, owing to the apparent impracticability of their landing from the extreme violence of the surf.
          "Under these circumstances I determined to postpone our attack against the enemy's batteries till next morning, and when it became sufficiently dark to conceal our movements, I fell back to the height, and took up a position for the night, to prevent any reinforcements for the garrison arriving from Saint Paul's. In the course of the night I was joined by the artillery with the four and a half inch howitzer, the Sepoys and pioneers with spare ammunition. At 4 o'clock on the morning of the eighth we began to descend the mountain, leaving the Sepoys posted on the summit to protect our rear from any attack which might be meditated by the garrison of Saint Paul's.
          "Before the advanced guard to the 86th had reached the works they occupied on the preceding evening, they were discovered by the enemy's sentries, who had been planted on the road during the night.
          "At daylight the enemy collected in force, and opened a heavy fire of cannon, shells and musketry on the column, and soon after detached some riflemen to gain the high ground on our right. The light infantry supported by the grenadiers were then ordered to descend the hill, and were followed by the remainder of the column, when a heavy fire of grape and musketry opened on us from the enemy who were drawn up in two columns, each with a field piece on the plain, supported by the heavy cannon mounted on the redoubt.
          "On reaching the plain the regiment was ordered to charge, when it immediately rushed on the enemy, who remained at the guns till our brave grenadiers came in contact with them. Their commandant, M. de Saint Suzanne escaped with difficulty, and their second in command was wounded and taken prisoner by Captain Lanphier. The enemy attempted to form behind the parapet of the redoubt, but were pushed so closely by the grenadiers that they were obliged to abandon it, leaving a brass six-pounder in our hands, which was immediately turned upon them. In the redoubt were four twelve-pounders which we found spiked. I instantly directed the King's colours to be planted on the top of the redoubt and detached the grenadiers to storm the two batteries marked No. '7' and '8' in the plan of attack, which service they gallantly performed.
          "In Battery No. 7 were four twenty-four pounders spiked by the enemy. In No. 8 were found a twelve-inch mortar and five twenty– four pounders, two of which were spiked, with a furnace full of red-hot shot. Observing, however, that the enemy could take these batteries in reverse, I recalled the grenadiers, after spiking the remaining guns, and confined myself to maintaining the position I then occupied before the town. Two twelve-pounders in the redoubt were rendered serviceable by the exertions of Lieutenant Abdy and his small detachment of artillery, and these, with our four-and-a-half-inch howitzer, answered the incessant cannonade of the enemy, which continued until the arrival of the rear column of the troops sent to my support.
          "At 4 o'clock in the evening the enemy attempted to retake the redoubt, but were repulsed with the loss of their commanding officer, who was made prisoner. About 4 o'clock in the evening we were joined by Lieutenant-Colonel Drummond's Brigade, and about the same time the enemy sent out a flag of truce to treat for the surrender of the place. I refused to treat unless for the surrender of the whole island. The enemy proposed an honorable capitulation for the garrison, the religion, laws and private property of the inhabitants to be respected, and a suspension of arms for twenty-four hours to arrange the articles of capitulation, the troops remaining at the posts they then occupied. To the two first I readily consented, but refused the latter, insisting that the royal battery should be given up to our grenadiers and the British colours hoisted the moment the terms were signed, and I gave them one hour in which to consider. At the expiration of the time the flag returned with a request that an officer be sent to assist in arranging the terms, upon which I sent in Major Edwards, shortly after which you arrived and assumed the command. I cannot conclude without requesting permission to offer my humble tribute of praise to the noble spirit which animated every individual of my small detachment. From Major Edward, who commanded the regiment, I received the greatest assistance. Captain Lanphier, Lieutenants Archibald, McLean, and every officer and soldier of the corps, displayed the most ardent valour, which must have been conspicuous to the whole force off the coast, who witnessed their heroic conduct.
          "Captain Moody, who commanded the Sepoys, Captain Lambert of the Madras Establishment (who did me the honor to attend as my aid), Lieutenant Davies of the engineers, Lieutenant Abdy, commanding the artillery, and Lieutenant Schooler of the pioneer corps, rendered me the most essential services in their respective departments. To Captain Creagh, my brigade major, I was highly indebted for his unremitted exertions and attention to the duties of his station from the beginning of the service I was sent on to the fatal moment when he was struck by a cannon shot, while he was in the act of encouraging our artillery men in the redoubt, of which we had just possessed ourselves, and this will, I fear, deprive his Sovereign and his country of the services of a most promising officer.
          "I have the honor to be, sir, your most obedient humble servant,"
                                                                               (Signed) HASTINGS FRAZER,
                                                                "Lieutenant-Colonel 86th Regiment, commanding 1st Brigade."
                       "Commanding the troops &c., &c.,&c., Bourbon.

          "On this occasion the regiment suffered a loss of one field officer, one captain, six subalterns, three sergeants, two drummers, and seventy-five rank and file killed and wounded. Lieutenant John Graham Munro, of the grenadiers, was killed during the charge, and Major Edward, commanding the regiment, Captain Lanphier, Lieutenant Michael Creagh, brigade major Lieutenants McLean, Blackhall, Webb and "White were wounded. The following regimental order was issued on this occasion:
                              [Regimental Orders by Major Edwards.]
                                                           "SAINT DENIS, July 9, 1810.
          "It affords Major Edwards great pleasure to have received Colonel Frazer's directions to confirm the appointment of Captain Lanphier to the grenadier company, a distinction to which that officer is well entitled for the gallant manner in which he led the brave grenadiers to the assault of the redoubt and batteries on the eighth inst. The conduct of the light infantry under Lieutenant Archibald McLean has, on all occasions, been equally distinguished, and Major Edwards sincerely laments the severe wound that gallant officer has received, and trusts he will soon again be restored to the service.
          "Major Edwards has great pleasure in confirming Lieutenant Blackhall's appointment to the grenadiers. He regrets the wound that officer has received, but hopes it will not long prevent him from joining that company which he animated by his zeal and example.
          "The conduct of the officers, non-commissioned officers and soldiers of H.M. 86th Regiment is above all praise. They have fought the enemy under every species of disadvantage and privation, and they have borne the latter without a murmur, and their determined valour has insured victory, in spite of every obstacle. They have nobly sustained the reputation of their country, and it will be gratifying to their feelings to know that their gallant exertions have been witnessed and applauded by the whole of the British force off the shore.
          "Major Edwards cannot conclude without expressing his regret at the loss of Lieutenant Munro of the grenadiers, and the brave men who have fallen on this occasion. Their memory, however, will long survive, and be held dear in the recollection of the 86th Regiment.
          "Most sincerely does he regret the severe wound received by Lieutenant Michael Creagh, but he hopes it will not deprive the service of that valuable and gallant officer, and he trusts that the wound received by Lieutenant White will not long prevent him from joining his corps. He is certain that Dr. Bellars will pay every attention to the wounded men and they may depend on receiving every attention to their misfortune which it is in Major Edward's power to bestow.
          Corporal William Hall, who hoisted the King's colour on the redoubt, is appointed sergeant for his gallant conduct, in place of Sergeant Millan killed. Private John Moore, of the light infantry, is appointed corporal for his gallant behaviour on the eighth.
          "Private John Moore, promoted in the latter part of the above order for his gallant conduct, is the same person, who, as sergeant, on August 20, 1803, led the "Forlorn Hope" at the storming of Broach, and who for his gallantry on that occasion was presented with 500 rupees by the Bombay Government. On the last occasion he climed the flagstaff, the halyards of which were shot away, and, under an incessant fire of round shot and musketry, fastened the King's colour to the staff and descended untouched, amidst the cheers of all who witnessed it, even the French troops cheering the deed, and our gallant sailors off the island also responded. The presence of the well–known flag on the redoubt relieved them from intense anxiety regarding the fate of their small portion of the force.
          On the following morning, July 9, the flank companies of the 86th marched into Saint Denis, occupied the principal battery, struck the French flag, and again hoisted the King's colours of the 86th. The regiment soon after followed, when the French garrison grounded their arms and embarked in transport for the Cape of Good Hope. Detachments were then sent to take possession of the different posts surrendered by the enemy.
          During the period, and for some months previous, both Bourbon and the Isle of France were blockaded by our naval force. The capture of Bourbon emboldened the latter to follow a French fleet within the Isle de Passe, on the southwest side of the Isle of France, where our ships met with a serious reverse, one being hit and sunk and several disabled. This gave the enemy the command of the sea, and, in consequence, two frigates and a brig-of-war appeared off Bourbon menacing the batteries.
          The "Africaine" frigate arrived from England, and, being short of hands, an officer (Lieutenant H. Home) one sergeant and twenty-five men (volunteers) embarked, and in the evening sailed in company with the" Boadicea," Commodore Rowley.
          At daybreak next morning the "Africaine" came up with and engaged the enemy's two ships. The" Boadicea" being becalmed three leagues astern the result was that after a desperate action of two hours and a half against a superior force, the "Africaine," becalmed and a wreck, was obliged to strike, the brave Captain Corbett and upwards of 160 of his weak crew being killed and wounded, and only three men of his detachment escaped, six having been killed and seventeen wounded. Towards evening Commodore Rowley was enabled to come up, when the enemy made sail, leaving the "Africaine," which the " Boadicea" towed into Saint Paul's. This action having taken place within sight of Bourbon excited the utmost anxiety of the regiment.
          The "Ceylon" frigate, with Major-General Abercromby and staff, as well as Lieutenant Clarke and twenty-five men of the 86th onboard, was captured by the "La Venus" a French frigate, after a severe action in which both ships were dismasted. The following morning the indefatigable Rowley appeared in the "Boadicea" and recaptured both ships.
          Lieutenant-Colonel Hastings Frazer was appointed a Companion of the Bath for his conduct at the head of the brigade before Saint Denis on July 8, and the officers of the regiment presented him with a sword, and those of the Company's service in his brigade with a valuable piece of plate. After the taking of Bourbon the regiment was quartered at Port Louis, Isle of France, until it returned to India, landing at Madras in January 1812 . In the same year the appellation of the regiment was again changed to that of the "86th, or Royal County Down Regiment, " which appellation it bore till 1881.
                                                                             [Copy of War Office Letter.]
                                                                                                                     "WAR OFFICE, January 18, 1812.
          "His Royal Highness the Prince Regent, in the name and on behalf of His Majesty, has been pleased to approve of the 86th Regiment being, in future, styled 'The 86th or Royal County Down Regiment,' and bear the 'Irish Harp and Crown' upon their letters.

          This caused a change in the facings from yellow to blue, and in the lace from silver to gold. The regiment now bore the "Irish Harp" in addition to the "Sphinx" and the word "Egypt" on their colours and appointments. Removing from Madras the regiment was quartered at Hyderabad, Muslipatam and other places, and in 1817 were engaged in the Pendaru rebellion, and in the following year it marched to Dallaghabad to embark for England, having been under orders since 1816. But once again the move was countermanded owing to a rebellion which broke out in Ceylon, and the regiment repaired there, and, after much hard labour and many privations, succeeded in stamping out the rebellion, though at the loss of many officers and men from the terrible sickness which prevailed. Shortly after this the regiment returned to England, landing at Gravesend on October 23, 1819, after a voyage of twenty-seven weeks, and an absence from England of over twenty-three years. In 1823 the regiment was granted the distinction of bearing on its colours and appointments the words "India" and "Bourbon." From this period the regiment served in England and Ireland till 1826, and subsequently  in the West Indies till 1837. It embarked again for India in 1842, serving in many places. It was whilst quartered at Kurrachi, in 1846, that it was visited by a most deadly epidemic of cholera, of which the account by the doctor of the 86th Regiment is as follows:
          In June the regiment sustained a heavy loss from a visitation of epidemic cholera, wholly unparalleled in the history of that terrible scourge, either in this or any other country. It often happens that scenes of great calamity produce little of that horror with which the mind is filled when a lapse of time permits us to reflect and dwell on their minutest details. There is really something so appalling in the bare retrospect of the events which were crowded into the few but fatal days during which that terrible death blast swept over our unfortunate corps, as to render it difficult to realize the truth. An attempt to describe them in a brief note would baffle the efforts of the ablest writer. Even the most fertile imagination could not conjure up more horrible pictures of human suffering and woe on the one hand, or more noble traits of the purest philanthropy, self denial, and unwearied attention and care on the part of the soldiers who happily escaped the plague, than those which passed under our observation.
          "The pestilence gave no warning or time to make preparation; it almost literally burst forth like a thunder-cloud, followed by a pestiferous blast, destroying life in a few hours. It was apparently irresistible, the strongest and most robust men suddenly fell before it, and were in the last pangs of horrible death almost before they could be carried to the hospital. Although other corps suffered fearfully from its ravages, yet the malady at once burst forth with its most concentrated virulence, and unhappily first assailed the 86th Regiment and carried off its victims in three-fold numbers. In general, when other diseases of an epidemic or contagious nature break out in a community, they gradually reach to a certain stage and from there decrease in nearly the same ratio. On this occasion, however, the cholera showed itself in its most fatal form, and gradually lost its malignancy as its spread diminished.
          "On Sunday, June 14, a hot, muggy and oppressive day, with very little wind and that from the sea, two bad cases were admitted in the morning. At 12 o'clock, however, others of a most rapid and deadly kind began to show themselves almost simultaneously in every company and at every part of the camp, so that by 4 o'clock ten cases were brought to hospital. The disease continuing to spread with increasing violence and startling rapidity, I went to the commanding officer to have the regiment moved, and, by accident meeting the brigadier (Dundas) in the street, he at once made arrangements to shift the camp next morning. By 5 o'clock twenty cases were in hospital when a dark cloud accompanied by a dust storm - no uncommon event in Scinde - :passed over the cantonment , and was considered the cause, and believed and reported in the newspapers to have been the harbinger of cholera, already raging with unheard -of deadliness. Thus the angel of death remained hovering over our camp. As night closed in the scene within our hospital, where all the victims of cholera were congregated into masses, was perfectly appalling, and such as few minds can conceive or any pen depict. Dhoolies were every few minutes arriving from camp and depositing their ghostly burdens at the doors. The floors were absolutely strewn with the livid bodies of men labouring in the last and most distressing stage of premature dissolution. Many were brought in with the cold and clammy damp of death, as if instantaneous obstruction of every vital function had been produced by the shock of some invisible power. For them all human aid was vain; others, the finest of our regiment, were struggling with all the violence of strong men against the spasmodic action of almost every muscle of the body, while their yells and cries commingled in horrible concert with the subdued groans and gaspings of those nearer to the closing scene. It was indeed a heartrending sight, and one never to be forgotten, to behold the powerful frames of the finest men of a fine corps, who had that morning stood on parade in apparent health, as if at once stricken down and writhing in the last efforts of gigantic strength to resist a death call that would not be refused.
          "By the morning of the fifteenth, or only eighteen hours after the outbreak, there were upwards of one hundred admissions in the hospital, of which scarcely twenty survived. Thus the angel of death appeared to be busy and the pestilence hovered over our camp as its weakened ranks moved out to camp at Phizree Bunder. Every hour brought in four or five cases, and the disease continued at this rate for three days, during which about three hundred men were admitted into the hospitals of the camp and barracks.
          "After the eighteenth the daily admissions rapidly decreased, and the disease became much milder in character and more under the control of medicine. By the twenty-fourth it had almost ceased, with the exception of a casual case which now and then took place, till July 2, when it finally disappeared from our corps. The following table exhibits the admissions from cholera, and deaths in the different classes belonging to the regiment:

Class of Person Attacked Strength Admissions Deaths
Non-Commission, Rank and File
Total 1353 438 262

          "Such were the effects, as represented by figures, of this horrible disease which assailed the regiment. To enter into so obscure a subject as the causes would be out of place in a historical note like this. Suffice it to say that we believe its origin to have been purely of an atmospheric nature, and on no occasion was there the slightest reason to conclude that it was propagated by contagion. A brief note of the circumstances which seemed to have predisposed the corps to the malady, and to sink under its deadly influence so generally, may not be out of place, and will furnish a practical hint to others hereafter.
          "The regiment had just performed a long march to Bhawulpore and back again, upwards of 1100 miles, and for four months had been living in tents, marching by night with the thermometer at 40, and resting under canvas by day, with hot winds from the desert occasionally as high as 104 or 106. Yet, during this time, the spirit of the soldier bore him up above the effects of such fatiguing and trying marches and climate, and in four months of field service only three men out of 1090 died . No sooner, however, had the regiment returned to Kurrachee, on April 15, than it was put under canvas on a low hot plain, to the leeward of the whole cantonment, and then, the want of the usual excitement and daily exercise of getting over twelve or fifteen miles soon began to tell on the health of the men. By the beginning of June, 100 men were in hospital, and a general predisposition to bowel complaint began to be manifested. Before June 14 one or two cases of cholera had occurred, but as casual cases are not uncommon at Kurrachee all the year round, nothing led us to expect such a burst of it as we had to encounter."
          At the outbreak of the Mutiny, in 1857, the regiment was split up and dispersed in various places, one part being employed in Goa, and another part being with the force under Brigadier Stuart, and was present at the taking of the Dhar Fort. In February, 1858, the regiment marched on Chandairee to join Brigadier Stuart, and on March 15 the division marched forty-seven miles in twenty-four hours the Fort of Chandairee being stormed and captured on March 16, the loss to the regiment being three killed, and two officers, twenty-nine men wounded. On March 21 the regiment marched, with the 1st Brigade, Central India Field Force, on Jhansi, and arrived there on March 25. A detachment of the regiment was employed during the siege, consisting of six officers and about 208 men, with such other portion of the force as could be taken without relaxing the siege. The whole, under the command of Major-General Sir Hugh Rose, G. C. B., proceeded towards the River Betiva about 8 p.m., March 31, intelligence having been received of the enemy advancing for the relief of Jhansi, and who had crossed the ford and were encountered by Sir Hugh Rose's force about 4 a.m., Apri1. The battle lasted till about 8.30 a.m., the rebel army numbering about 25,000 men. The enemy, being broken up, retreated, leaving a great number of killed and wounded on the field, with seventeen guns. The loss sustained by the 86th Regiment was two wounded, one of whom afterwards died. Lieutenant and Adjutant Cochrane had three horses shot under him, and was specially recommended by Sir Hugh Rose for his services on this occasion.
          Eight companies were engaged at the storm and capture of the city and fortress of Jhansi from April 3 to 6. The loss on the third was Surgeon Stack and seven men killed, four officers and eighty men wounded, and on April 6, at a fortified house, two officers and seven men wounded. Of the men wounded fourteen died of their wounds, and most of the survivors were sent to England and discharged.
          The commencement of the year 1858 found the regiment under General Sir Hugh Rose, K. C. B., engaged against the rebels, and it continued on active service until the beginning of 1859. The services of the regiment during this year were of a brilliant character, untarnished by a single reverse, and eminently successful in destroying the powers of the mutineers in Central India. On the first of April, 1858, the city of Jhansi being closely invested by Sir Hugh Rose, powerful divisions were made for its relief by the mutineers under Tantia Topie, and a severe action was fought on the banks of the Betiva, in which the enemy were defeated with the loss of eighteen guns and 500 men. On April 3 the town of Jhansi was assaulted in three places, one column by the breach and two by escalade. The breach and the left escalading parties were furnished by the 86th Regiment and moved successfully. On the night of the fifth, after some hard street fighting, the fort was evacuated, and on the sixth the whole place was in the hands of the British. On this occasion the enemy's loss consisted of nearly 5000 men, all his guns and stores, with a large amount of money and jewels. In the assault and subsequent operations Dr. Stack was killed, five officers wounded (three dangerously) and sixty-five non-commissioned officers and men killed and wounded.
          On the seventh of May the force was again engaged with the rebels under Tantia Topie at the city of Koonch, which was carried by storm, the enemy making a precipitant retreat, leaving 300 men, mostly Sepoys, on the field, and eight guns were captured. The heat of the day was terrific and the losses from coup de soleil proportionately great. The thermometer, which had steadily been rising since the taking of Jhansi, appeared to have reached a point beyond human endurance. Three men died on the field, struck prostrate without a chance of recovery, yet numbers give but a slight idea of the amount of suffering which this day's fight entailed on the regiment. For many days after young men, miserably reduced by sickness and debility, referred to the fearful sun of Koonch and Calpee as the cause of all their suffering. On the twenty-second the enemy advanced in great numbers from Calpee, and, under the influence of maddening narcotics, attacked the force of Gowlawlee on the banks of the Jumna. This was the most severely contested engagement of the whole campaign and the position was most critical. The mutineers were at last compelled to retire on the stronghold of Calpee with severe loss. On the following day they were compelled to make a further retreat, and the fort of Calpee, with its immense warlike stores, fell into our hands. On these two days the troops suffered as severely as at Koonch from the effects of the sun and the scarcity of water. For seven miles round Calpee scarped and rocky ravines, almost impervious to air, rendered the heat insupportable, and the losses from coup de soleil were very numerous.
          The revolt of the Gwalior Contingents again put the troops of Sir Hugh Rose in motion and necessitated forced marches. On the sixteenth of June they appeared in front of Morar, then occupied by the mutineer Sepoys, with infantry, cavalry and artillery. An action ensued in which the contingent was routed and retired on the city and fort of Gwalior, distant about four miles. On the nineteenth the city of Gwalior fell under the united attacks of the Rajputana Field Force, under Brigadier Smith, and the Central India Field Force, under Sir Hugh Rose, and on the twentieth the fort was stormed. In these operations, which restored the Maharajah Scindia to his throne, the losses of the 86th were only small, but the moral effect on the enemy was great. With the fall of Gwalior operations on a large scale were at an end, but detachments of the regiment were constantly in the district maintaining order or engaged with flying bodies of rebels. Head quarters were established at Morar and remained there until February, 1859, when they marched via Sepree and Guonah to Mhow. At Mhow the 86th gave volunteers for other regiments, and the remainder were forwarded in detachments by bullock train to Bombay, where they remained encamped, awaiting embarkation for England.
                                                     [Extract from Field Force Orders dated Camp Calpee, June 1, 1858.]
          "(8) The Central India Field Force being about to be dissolved, the Major-General commanding cannot allow the troops to leave his immediate command without expressing to them the gratification he has invariably experienced at their good conduct and discipline, and he requests that the following general order may be read at the head of every corps and detachment of the force.
          "You have marched more than 1000 miles and taken more than 100 guns; you have forced your way through mountain passes and rivers; you have captured the strongest forts and beaten the enemy, no matter what the odds, wherever you could find him. You have restored extensive districts to the government, and peace and order now reign where before, for a twelve month, were tyranny and rebellion. You have done all this and yon have never had a check.
          "I thank you with all my sincerity for your bravery, your devotion and your discipline. When you first marched I told you, as British soldiers, you had more than enough courage for the work which was before you, but that courage without discipline was of no avail, and I exhorted you to let discipline be your watchword. You have attended to my words. In hardship, in temptation and in danger you have obeyed your commander, and you have never left your ranks. You have fought against the strong and protected the right of the weak and defenceless, of foes as well as friends. I have seen you, in the ardour of the combat, preserve and place children out of harm's way. This is the discipline of Christian soldiers, and this it is that has brought you from the shore of Western India to the waters of the Jumna.
                                                                                                 "By order,
                                                                                                        "(Signed) H. H. A. WOOD, Captain.
                                                                                                                           "Assistant Adjutant-Genera1."
                  Early in 1859 the regiment was ordered to return to England, when the following general order was issued:
                                                                General Order by His Excellency, the Commander-in-Chief.
                                                                                                           HEADQUARTERS, Mahableshwar, March 26, 1859.
          "Her Majesty's 78th Highlanders and 86th Regiment of Foot are now returning to the Bombay Presidency to embark for England, after nearly seventeen years' absence from home, and the commander-in-chief cannot permit these distinguished corps to depart without the earnest expression of his appreciation of the services rendered by them to the State.
          "The exemplary conduct in quarters of these regiments throughout their career in India has been as conspicuous as their services in the field have been distinguished during the late eventful period. It is therefore with the greatest satisfaction that the commander-in-chief publishes to the forces under his command the following extract from a general order by His Excellency, General the Right Honorable Lord Clyde, G.C.B., Commander-in-Chief in India, dated Allahabad, February 25 last, expressing his lordship's approval of the enduring valour of the 78th Highlanders, one of those glorious regiments which, under the lamented Sir Henry Havelock, fought its way against so fearful a disproportion of numbers to the relief of our beleaguered countrymen and women at Lucknow.
          "The 78th Foot were in Persia under Sir James Outram. Without landing at Bombay, they came round to Calcutta from that service, and were among the first under the late Sir Henry Havelock to restore confidence in British arms after the outbreak of the Mutiny. Present at the various actions under that lamented officer, and at the first entry into Lucknow for the reinforcement of the original garrison, they completed their service by the siege of Lucknow and the campaign of Rohilcund.
          "The conduct of this regiment during the period adverted to by the Right Honorable the Commander-in-Chief, in India, has excited the admiration of the entire army, and on arrival in Great Britain its reception will doubtless be marked by the deep feeling of the nation for the gallant bearing of officers and men under no ordinary trials of their fortitude and endurance; as also by the heartful sympathy of their countrymen for the heavy losses sustained in battle and by exposure to the influence of an Indian climate at the worst season of the year.
          "Lord Clyde has also been pleased, in the General Order above quoted, to notice the 86th (Royal County Down) Regiment in the following terms:
          "The 86th have been engaged in Central India under Sir Hugh Rose, having borne a most prominent part in all the principal actions commanded by that officer, viz., the siege of Jhansi, the battle of the Betiva, the action of Golowlee, the capture of Calpee and the relief of Gwalior, together with numerous smaller affairs.
          "With feelings of gratitude and satisfaction Sir Henry Somerset remembers how the 86th Regiment served in Malwa under Brigadier C. S. Stuart of the Bombay Army. The regiment, owing to the pressure of the times, had to be collected from different stations and pushed to the front as rapidly as the detachments could be moved. They were present at the siege of Dhar, engaged during the three successive days at Mundisore; eminently successful in the assault of Chundairie; and this noble regiment joined the column under Sir Hugh Rose before Jhansi, where it was foremost in the breaches at the capture of that stronghold. The time has come when these war-worn regiments can look forward to the peace they have so nobly and so brilliantly fought for, and the rest they so richly merit.
          "Sir Henry Somerset, in welcoming them to Bombay, expresses his earnest and cordial wishes for the health and happiness of all belonging to them, for their speedy and prosperous voyage to the shores of Great Britain, and a joyful meeting with long-absent friends.
          "To Lieutenant-Colonel H. Hamilton, C. B., to Colonel R. H. Lawth, C. B., and to the officers, non-commissioned officers and soldiers under their respective commands, Sir Henry Somerset bids an affectionate farewell and Godspeed.
                                                                   "By order of His Excellency, the Commander-in-Chief,"
                                                                                                         EDWARD GREEN, Colonel,
                                                                                                                        "Adjutant-General of the Army."
          Embarking at Bombay in April, the regiment disembarked at Gravesend on September 6, 1859, and proceeded to Aldershot the following April, and afterwards to Newry Carragh and Waterford, from where it once more embarked for foreign service in October, 1864, when it proceeded to Gibraltar, where it remained until 1867. On February 6, 1867, new colours were presented to the regiment by the Honorable Lady Airey, the wife of the Governor, this being the last occasion on which colours were presented to the regiment. The old colours, which had been carried in so many gallant actions, were subsequently placed in St. Patrick's Cathedral. The regiment proceeded to Mauritius, where it remained till 1870, when it was ordered to the Cape of Good Hope. It returned to England in 1875. In 1880 the regiment was again ordered for foreign service and proceeded to Bermuda, and in the following year the designation of the regiment was again changed to the title it now bears, namely "2d Battalion, the Royal Irish Rifles." In 1883 the regiment was ordered to Nova Scotia, and from there to Gibraltar in 1886, and it was moved on to Egypt in 1887. In 1888 a detachment was present at Sachin at the engagement. In the following year it was ordered on service up the Nile to form part of the field force, with which it arrived at Assonan in July. In August it returned to Cairo, the enemy having been defeated at the battle of Toski. In 1891 the regiment was moved to Malta, where it served until 1894, when it embarked for India and landed at Bombay in November, from where it moved to Poona in March, 1896. Few regiments can boast of more varied and arduous foreign service than the 2d Battalion Royal Irish Rifles, especially from the year 1796 to 1819, when for twenty-three years and four months of continuous foreign service it was almost constantly on active service either in Egypt, India, Bourbon and Ceylon, or elsewhere. The men suffered many hardships, but have never failed to respond to the call of duty during the 103 years which the regiment has been in existence. During all this time it has seen less than twenty-five years of home service. The regiment is at present (February, 1897) stationed at Poona, near Bombay, in India, with Lieutenant-Colonel H. A. Eagar as commanding officer.


Group of Officers
2d Lieut. Spedding      Capt. Morphy      Lieut. Fox      Lieut. Hall      Lieut. Christie      Lieut. Jameson      Lieut Wright
            Capt. Addison      Lieut. and Adjt. Sitwell      Major Eagar      Lieut. and Q. Mr. Dwyer      Major Tobin
2d Lieut. Daunt      Lieut. Bradford                            Lieut. Molloy       Lieut. Weir

On Parade at Poona, India

Regimental Staff
Lieut. and Qr.-Mr. Dwyer      Lieut. and Adjt. Wilmont-Sitwell      Major Eagar      Sgt.-Major Scott

Plaine De La Redoute Bourbon
Monument to the Memory of Officers and Soldiers of the 86th Regiment, who fell on the 8th July 1810
NORTH SIDE - Sacred to the memory of Lieut. John Graham Munro, of His Britannic Majesty's 86th Grenadiers, who fell near this spot on the 8th July, 1810, aged 22 years. This tomb is erected by his brother officers in testimony of their esteem and regard.
SOUTH SIDE (facing reader) - Near this spot are also interred the remains of those brave soldiers of His Majesty's 86th Regiment who likewise fell on the same glorious occasion.

Warrant Officers
Sgt.-Major Scott                  School Master Chever?               Bandmaster Cunningham

Sergeant-Major and Color-Sergeants
Cr.-Sgt. Ellis      Cr.-Sgt. McAuley     Cr.-Sgt. Casson      Cr.-Sgt. Harrison     Cr.-Sgt. Crowley
Cr.-Sgt. Ryan     Sgt.-Maj. Scott     Cr.-Sgt. Gordon     Cr.-Sgt. Lawther

Staff Sergeants
Sgt.-Bugler Morrisy     Canteen-Sgt. Farrell     O. R.-Sgt. McConville     Band-Sgt. Hynes
Qr.-Mr.-Sgt. Parker     Sgt.-Major Scott     Sgt.-Major Tailor Alsopp

Group of Sergeants
Williams     Caffery     Atkins     Taylor     Graham, J.     DeLacey     Reid     Moore     Montgomery
McKeever   C.-S. Casson   C.-S. McAuley   Brown   Loakman   Potts   Coburn   Horton   Graham, F.   Sgt.-Bgr. Morrisy
Bd.-Sgt. Hynes  Pittman  Broderick  Johnston  Watson, J.  Templeton  Cushan  C.-S. Harrison  Hoare  Can.-Sgt. Farrell  C.-S. Ellis
C.-S. Ryan; Master-Tailor Allsop; Q. M. S. Parker; Bd.-Mr. Cunningham; Sgt.-Maj. Scott; School-Mr. Clover; C.-S. Crowley; C.-S. Gordon; Cr.-Sgt. Lawther
Drysdall   McBride                            Rainey   Murphy                       McConville   Johnston

The Band
Bds. Banks    Pte. Carter    Pte. Wilde     Pte. Rollins     Bds. Vallance     Pte. Taylor     Bds. Trowbridge
Pte. Ramsey    Pte. Turbett     Pte. Calderwood     Pte. Polesta     Bds. Ash     Pte. Presland     Pte. Mason     Pte. Waide
Bds. Cooley; L.-C. Whilley; Bds. De Lacey; Pte. McGregor; Pte. Shuckford; Pte. Brown; Pte. Long; Pte. Egginton; Pte. Taylor; L.-C. Forward; L.-C. Ewins; Pte. McKay
Pte. Cairns;  Bug. Pegg;  Pte. Cooley;  Pte. Farrell;  Pte. Tate;  Pte. Haslett;  Pte. Kelly;  Pte. Haslett;  Bds. Keefe
Bds. Phillips; L.-C. Caiger; L.-C. Brown; L.-Sgt. Taylor; Band-Sgt. Hynes; Bds. Cunningham; Pte. Morrisey; L.-C. Kearney; Pte. Moran; Pte. Black
Bug. McGregor      Pte. Stanfield                                     Pte. Spence        Bug. Kitchen

The Buglers
Bug. Brown      Bug. Taggart      Bug. Slothers      Bug. Williamson      Bug. Quinn      Bug. McAvoy
Bug. Keenan     Bug. Johnston      Bug. McKeegan      Bug. Gardiner      Bug. Burns      Bug. Whelan      Bug. McNally
Bug. McCaffrey  Bug. Coffee  Bug. Miskimmins  Bug. Neill  Bug. Turley  Bug. McMaster  Bug. Dunn  Bug. Corey  Bug. Chambers
Bug. Dillon    L.-C. Tolan    Cpl. McBride    Sgt.-Bug. Morrisey    L.-C. Cunningham    Bug. Weir    Bug. Briens
Bug. Morgan       Bug. Rankin       Bug. Barron

Corporals and Lance-Corporals
L.-C. Moore  L.-C. Dowling  L.-C. Brooks  L.-C. Shields  L.-C. Gunning L.-C. Bull  L.-C. Smith  L.-C. Palmer  L.-C. McLaughlin
L.-C. McFarland  L.-C. McCann  L.-C. Byrne  L.-C. Davis  L.-C. McClure  L.-C. Richmond  L.-C. Young  L.-C. Young
Cpl. Marks  L.-C. Cairns  L.-C. Metcalfe  L.-C. Field  L.-C. Dornan  L.-C. Montgomery  L.-C. Shields  Cpl. Myerscough  Cpl. Lyness L.-C. McKane
Cpl. Kinnard  Cpl. McBride  Cpl. Flynn  Cpl. McCall  Cpl. Waterman  Cpl. Lappin  Cpl. Moriarity  L.-C. McLaughlin  L.-C. McGuirk
L.-C. McDonald    L.-C. Butler    Cpl. Curry    L.-C. Stevenson    L.-C. Hamilton    L.-C. Ward    L.-C. Rafferty

Corporals and Lance-Corporals
L.-C. English  L.-C. Kirkpatrick  L.-C. McCrudden  L.-C. Beresford  L.-C. Tolan  L.-C. McCall  L.-C. McCrystal  L.-C. McCormick
L.-C. Breene; L.-C. Forward; L.-C. Goldsworthy; L.-C. Nolan; L.-C. Canning; L.-C. Nalty; L.-C. Thompson; L.-C. Henry; L.-C. McGibbon
L.-C. Caiger; L.-C. Hanratty; L.-C. Craig; L.-C. Kearney; L.-C. Cassidy; L.-C. Ewins; L.-C. Kilpatrick; L.-C. Whilley; L.-C. Rodgers
Cpl. Kinsella;  Cpl. Smith;  Cpl. Coyne;  Cpl. Haggans;  Cpl. Bowdler;  Cpl. Palmer;  Cpl. Murphy;  Cpl. Romans
L.-C. Lyle;  L.-C. Cunningham          Cpl. Watts;  Cpl. Kenny          L.-C. Sloan;  L.-C. Lonsdale

"A" Half Company
Pte. Coyle   Pte. Crawley   Pte. Robinson   Pte. McCann   Pte. Collins
Pte. Peeples  Pte. Clarke  Pte. Moore  Pte. Connor  Pte. Molloy  Pte. McMaster  Pte. Scammell  Pte. Gault  Pte. Orr  Pt. Stevenson
Pte. Campbell; Pte. Bryans; Pte. Bradley; Pte. Overton; Pte. Halfpenny; Pte. Brennan; Pte. Williamson; Pte. Flannigan; Pte. Irvine; Pte. Dwyer
Pte. Gilmore; Pte. Matthews; Pte. McAleer; Pte. Cushin; Pte. Stokes; Pte. McKay; Pte. Lucas; L.-C. Craig; Pte. Maguire; Pte. Jeffrey
Pte. Connor; Pte. Moore; Pte. Cheshire; Sgt. Watson; Bd. Mr. Cunningham; Lieut. Bradford; Cr. Sgt. Gordon; Sgt. Cushan; Cpl. Bowdler; Cpl. Watts; L.-C. Burns
Pte. Turbeit;    Pte. Ash;     Pte. DeLacey                             L.-C. Caiger;   L.-C. Cunningham;   Bgl. Williamson

"A" Half Company
Pte. McCann     Pte. Kelly     Pte. Kerr     Pte. Arnold     Pte. Smith     Pte. Goodwin
Pte. Noble  Pte. Dowling  Pte. Perry  Pte. O'Neill  Pte. Hughes  L.-C. Cassidy  Pte. Carlisle  L.-C. Hanratty  Pte. McKeag  Pte. Cowan
Pte. McClelland; Pte. Larkin; Pte. Dunwoody; Pte. Bond; Pte. McGuire; Pte. Brennan; Pte. Quinn; Pte. Henderson; Pte. Carolan; Pte. Dickeson; Pte. McCluskey
Sgt. Watson; Pte. McLoughlin; Pte. Madden; Pte. Marshall; Pte. Rutherford; Pte. Fletcher; Pte. Douglas; Pte. Kelly; L.-C. Breene; Pte. Cox; Sgt. Cushan
Pte. Wall; Pte. Neeson; Pte. Coleman; Pte. McClements; Pte. King; Bd. Mr. Cunningham; Lieut. Bradford; Cr. Sgt. Gordon; Pte. Johnson; Pte. McCormick; Bgl. Williamson; Pte. Shanks
Pte. Shuckford; Bgl. Whelan; Bgl. Johnston; Bds. DeLacey            L.-C. Caiger; Bds. Turbett; Pte. Taylor; Pte. Donley

"B" Half Company
Pte. Terry; Pte. Kimmins; Pte. Gilmore; Pte. O'Neill; Pte. Foley; Pte. Whilley; Pte. Boyle; Pte. Kernaghan; Pte. Hughes; L.-C. Beresford; Pte. Brien
Pte. McElroy; Pte. Jackson; Pte. Brown; Pte. Hunter; Pte. Mallon; Pte. Kehoe; Pte. Scott; Pte. Hanna; L.-C. Kirkpatrick; L.-C. Goldsworthy; Pte. Clarke
Pte. Poole; Pte. Scott; Pte. Bingham; Cpl. Romans; Pte. Moffet; Pte. McManus; Pte. Kennedy; Pte. Ferguson; Pte. Armstrong; L.-C. Nalty; Pte. Cairns
Pte. Nelis; Pte. McNulty; Pte. Allen; Pte. Gardiner; Pte. Paxton; Pte. Benwell; Pte. Hughes; Pte. Owens; Pte. Cochrane; Pte. Curran; Pte. Henderson
Pte. Jamison; Cpl. Coyne; Pte. Reid; L.-C. Tolan; Cr.-Sgt. Lawther; Sgt.-Maj. Scott; Major Tobin; Lieut. Wright; Pte. Kelsey; Pte. Connell; Pte. McMenamy; Pte. Bolton
Bds. Banks;                      Pte. Wilde;                Bgl. Gardiner;           L.-C. Whilley                            Bgl. Stolhers

"B" Half Company
Pte. McCombe; Pte. Frampton; Pte. Coulaghan; Pte. Sullivan; Pte. Ealough; Pte. Dolan; Pte. Horace; Pte. Reid; Pte. McClay; Pte. Horace
Pte. Burns; Pte. Mahoney; Pte. Gilligan; Pte. Mitchell; Pte. Cummins; Pte. Doherty; Pte. McCully; Pte. Clarke; L.-C. McCrudden; Pte. Connor; Pte. Morris
Pte. Murray; Pte. Walker; Pte. Calwell; Pte. Ellis; Pte. Kerr; Pte. Smith; L.-C. Canning; Pte. Clare; Pte. McBride; Pte. Somerville
Pte. Garston; Pte. Clarke; Pte. Shields; Pte. Foster; L.-C. English; Pte. Castles; Pte. Kayes; Pte. Bones; Pte. Taitley; Pte. Wilde; Pte. Beck
Pte. Curry; Cpl. Kenny; Sgt. Potts; Sgt. Loakman; Cr.-Sgt. Lawther; Sgt.-Maj. Scott; Major Tobin; Lieut. Wright; L.-C. McCall; Pte. Bradshaw; Pte. Hackett; Pte. Moss
Pte. Corry                      Cpl. McBride                   Bgl. McKeegan                     Pte. Perryman

"C" Half Company
Pte. Erskine; Pte. Coffey; Pte. McLaren; Pte. McCormick; Pte. Gibney; Pte. Cassidy; L.-C. Craig; Pte. Foster
Pte. Cassidy; Pte. McCracken; Pte. Deary; Pte. McCauley; Pte. Smith; Pte. O'Brien; Pte. Carthy; Pte. Shirlow; Pte. Johnston; Pte. McCaffrey; Pte. Blair
Pte. Kerr; Pte. Allen; Pte. Gillan; Pte. Gillan; Pte. Bryan; Pte. Mason; Pte. Cowan; Pte. Davidson; Pte. Lannigan; Pte. Keenan; Pte. Elliott; Pte. Banks
Pte. Watson; Pte. Hewitt; Pte. McMurtry; Pte. Walls; Pte. Quate; Pte. Molloy; L.-C. Lonsdale; Pte. Stone; Pte. Smith; Pte. McCormick; Pte. McKigney
Pte. Reid; Pte. McFadden; Pte. Black; Sgt. Taylor; Sgt. Graham; Cr.-Sgt. Casson; Sgt. Drysdale; Pte. Meredith; Pte. McDermott; Pte. Curran; Pte. Farrell
L.-C. Tolan     Pte. Taylor                               Pte. Haslett     Bgl. Barron                           Pte. Cairns     Pte. Bryan

"C" Half Company
Pte. McCoy; Pte. Jackson; Pte. Dorman; Pte. Laggert; Pte. Chambers; Pte. green; Pte. McClements; Pte. Kilifin; Pte. Lyness
L.-C. Henry; Pte. Haslett; Pte. McWilliams; Pte. McCrystal; Pte. McGinley; Pte. Carroll; Pte. Mason; Pte. Cairns; Pte. Calvert; Pte. Fury
Pte. Lyness; Pte. McManus; Pte. McCurry; Pte. Watson; Pte. Hanley; Pte. Lee; Pte. McCoo; Pte. Tollerton; Pte. Cavanagh; Pte. Finn; Pte. Lindsay
Pte. Young; Pte. McCallion; Pte. Powell; Pte. Haslam; L.-C. Irvine; Pte. Topping; Pte. Doherty; Pte. McLoughlin; Pte. Bean; Pte. Elliott; Pte. Lavery
Pte. McQuillan; Pte. Kerr; Pte. Morrison; Pte. McIlhone; Sgt. Graham; Cr.-Sgt. Cassan; Sgt. McBride; L.-C. Sloan; Pte. Daly; L.-C. McCormick; Pte. Bradley; Pte. Hamill
Pte. Cairns   Pte. Trowbridge                                Pte. McGregor                           Pte. Haslett   Pte. Taylor

"D" Half Company
(names at back seem to be out of order)
Pte. Carthy            L.-C. McDonald         Pte. McMullen
             Pte. Mont-                                                                                                                                                            
Pte. Verner gomery  Pte. Wright  Pte. Gorman  Pte. Hughes  Pte. McIlroy  Pte. Andrews  Pte. Dogherty  Pte. Scott  L.-C. Rafferty
Pte. Nesbitt  Pte. Healy  Pte. Kirkham  L.-C. Ward  L.-C. Smith  Pte. McCauley  Pte. Darragh  Pte. Thurgood  Pte. Simpson  Pte. O'Halloran  Pte. McDowell
L.-C. Burke  Pte. Barry  Pte. Ward  Pte. Patterson  Pte. Hynes  Pte. Tuckell  Pte. Tate  Pte. Whitecoat  Pte. McCann  Pte. Nesbitt  Pte. McMaster  Pte. Vallely
Pte. Bradley; Pte. Law; Cpl. Lyness; Sgt. Reid; Cr.-Sgt. McAuley; Captain Addison; Sgt. Watson; Cpl. Moriarty; Cpl. Kinsella; Pte. O'Hare
Pte. Cooley     Bgl. Murphy                           Pte. Morgan     Pte. Ramsey

"D" Half Company
Pte. Cashell    Pte. Laird    Pte. Fox    Pte. Baxter    Pte. Downey    Pte. Neill  Pte.   Irvine
Pte. Montgomery; Pte. Montgomery; Pte. Burns; Pte. Christie; Pte. Neill; Pte. McGarvey; Pte. Coles; Pte. Nesbitt; Pte. Dougherty; Pte. Murray
Pte. McElrey; Pte. Morrison; Pte. Irvine; Pte. Browne; Pte. Cunningham; Pte. Griffiths; Pte. Smith; Pte. Simms; Pte. Bell; Pte. McMullen; Pte. Lyons
Pte. Elliott   Pte. Gilbey   Pte. Finnigin   Pte. Roy   Pte. Meakin   Pte. Fergus   Pte. Browne   Pte. Nelson   Pte. Duff   Cpl. Lappin
Pte. Montgomery; Pte. McAllen; Pte. Taylor; Pte. Markey; Sgt. Darragh; L.-C. Gray; Captain Addison; Cr.-Sgt. McAuley; Sgt. Rainey; Cpl. Power; L.-C. McArtney; L.-C. Rodgers
Sgt. McConville   Pte. McMawson   Pte. Vallance                            Pte. Spence   Pte. Thompson   Pte. Cooley

"E" Company

Burns. Bashford. Mullholland. Stewart. L.-C. Brooks. Hood. White. Kearney. Keown. Wilson. Logan. McLarnon. Wilde. Brady. Hinde. McFarlane. Sullivan. Fitzsimmons. McGreevy. Reid
Devlin. Young. Verner. Bogan. Hare. Molloy. Crilley. Kilpatrick. Cauley. McKee. Walker. Shields. Durnin. Montgomery. Monaghan. Stoker. Robinson. Moore
Winning. Splaine. Adair. Boyd. Shaw. Flood. Costello. Tyrrell. Warder. McCormick. White. Lyle. Fowles. Green. Robinson. Forsythe. McCauley. Wallace. Jameson. Miskelly. Somerville. Kirk.
Hillis. Connor. Guigan. Donnelly. Andrews. Waters. Hamilton. Finnegan. McPherson. Byrne. Hogan. Byrne. McCann. Croft. Wright. Auld. Noakes. Lewis. Walsh. Dignan. Ferris. Kerr. McNally
Cpl. Marks. Cpl. Hughes. Sgt. Crossan. Armstrong. Blackburn. Sgt. McKeever. Sgt. Horton. Sgt. Daisy. C.S. Harrison. Cap. Morphy. Lieut. Spedding. Q.M.S. Parker. Rafferty. Melroy. Campbell. McMeekin. Mawhinney. Mallon. McCormick. Lee. Cauley.
Woods. Sgt. Johnston. Sgt. Pittman Wilton. Cpl. Burns. Coffee. Quinn. Dillon. Rankin. Stanfield. Black. Robinson. Murphy. Fletcher. Reilly. Riddel.  Moans. Potesta. Donnelly. Pegg.
McKendrick                           Kearney                                 Dolan

"F" Half Company
Pte. McCrainor. Pte. Craig. Pte. Baker. Pte. Best. Pte. Lawlor. L.-C. Dowling. Pte. Flynn. Pte. Grifin. Pte. McGill
Pte. English. Pte. Dougherty. Pte. Clarke. Pte. Conlon. Pte. McIlvenny. Pte. Lavery. Pte. Keelan. Pte. Maguiness. Pte. McDonald. Pte. Byrne
Pte. Elly. Pte. Gregg. Pte. Goodman. Pte. McAllister. Pte. Clare. Pte. McAreary. Pte. Gunton. Pte. Brady. Pte. Lytle. Pte. Goodman. Pte. Adams
Pte. Boyd. Pte. Gough. Pte. Greenaway. Pte. Clifford. Pte. Grant. Pte. Crowe. Pte. Coogan. Pte. Higginson. Pte. Hennesy. Pre. Heaney
Pte. Gilkinson. Pte. Chapman. L.-C. McLure. L.-C. McGurk. L.-C. Hamilton. Lieut. Fox. Cr.-Sgt. Ryan. Sgt. Johnston. Cpl. Kinnaird. Pte. Farrell. Bds. Kelly.
Bgl. Brown.             Bgl. Dunn.             Bgl. Burns.              L.-C. Brown.            L.-C. Forward.         Pte. Abernethy.

"F" Company
Pte. Robinson. Pte. Mitchell. Pte. Sloan. Pte. Smyth. Pte. Wilson. Pte. Morrow. Pte. Tierney. Pte. Murphy. Pte. Stewart. Pte. Montgomery.
Pte. Reilly. Pte. Murrell. Pte. Walsh. Pte. Magee. Pte. Tiernan. Pte. Montgomery. L.-C. Richmond. Pte. Reilly. L.-C. McLoughlin.
Pte. O'Donnell. Pte. Webb. Pte. Stafford. Pte. Wilkins. Pte. Wisdom. Pte. Scammel. Pte. Moore. Pte. Mills. Pte. Pelan.
Pte. Warren. Pte. Russell. L.-C. Wooley-a-Hern. Pte. Will. Pte. Riordan. Pte. Smyth. Pte. McQuillan. L.-C. Young
Pte. Mason.  L.-C. Ewings.  Pte. Mana.  Sgt. Caffrey.  Lieut. Fox.  Sgt. Murphy.  Sgt. Hoare.  Cpl. Waterman.  Pte. Graham
Bug. Taggart.       Pte. Calderwood        Bug. Weir.                    Pte. Long.        Bug. Turley.        Pte. Abernethy

"G" Half Company
Pte. Burke. Pte. Hart. Pte. Hunt. Pte. Lamont. Pte. Dougherty. Pte. Crossgrove. Pte. Gallagher. Pte. Collins. Pte. Dunne. Pte. Crilley. Pte. Heckie
Pte. Bradshaw. Pte. Camell. Pte. Currie. Pte. Cross.     Pte. Buchanan. Pte. Burns. Pte. Gray. Pte. Lamb. Pte. Kenny. Pte. Gillespie.
Pte. Kirby. Pte. Hammond. Pte. Greenaway. L.-C. Kelly. Pte. Hammell. Pte. Elliott. L.-C. Hughes. Pte. Cochrane. Pte. Kearney. Pte. Dougherty. Pte. Coyle.
Pte. Carter. Pte. Barnes. Pte. Graham. Pte. Donnigan. Pte. Courtney. Pte. Domey. Pte. Hewett. Pte. Daniels. Pte. Camell. Pte. Fleming. Pte. Reed. Pte. Rawlins.
Pte. Camell. Pte. Bracken. L.-C. McEwan. Sgt. Allsopp. Lieut. Molloy. Cr.-Sgt. Crawley. Sgt.-Bgl. Morissy. Cpl. McCall. L.-C. McFarland. Pte. Kennedy.
Pte. Collins.        Pte. McCaffery.       L.-C. Kearney.                      Pte. Eglinton.        Pte. Browne.         Pte. McEvoy

"G" Company
Pte. Meade. Pte. Truesdale. Pte. Taylor. Pte. McNalty. Pte. McGuinness. Pte. Reilly. Pte. McKavitt. Pte. Mansley. Pte. Murray. Pte. Rooney. Pte. McKannah.
Pte. Peall. Pte. Watson. Pte. McDonald. Pte. McGarrity. Pte. Noblet. Pte. Wilson. Pte. Moore. Pte. Simmonds. Pte. Payne. Pte. Taggart. Pte. Morton.
Pte. Nugent. Pte. Sullivan. Pte. McGuigan. Pte. Miller. Pte. Sutcliffe. Pte. McKearn. Pte. McGee. Pte. Moore. Pte. Wales. Pte. Smith. Pte. Redpath.
Pte. Stewart. L.-C. Mullany. Pte. McCoy. Pte. Surgenon. Pte. Roan. Pte. McCormick. Pte. Whelan. Pte. Clark. Pte. Rooney. Pte. Lackey. Pte. Osborne.
Pte. Moran. Pte. McDonough. Cpl. Myerscough. Sgt. Delacey. Lieut. Molloy.  C.-Sgt. Crowley. Sgt. Roy. Pte. Reilly. Pte. Stranaghan
Pte. Keenan                              Bug, Casey

"H" Half Company
Pte. Brown. Pte. Edmonson. Pte. Cleary. Pte. Crohan. Pte. Carter. Pte. Hartigan. Pte. Mullen. Pte. Floyd. Pte. McLoughlin. Pte. Jennings. Pte. Robinson.
Pte. Hutchinson. Pte. Keogh. Pte. Oliver. Pte. McBride. Pte. Navin. Pte. Keoghan. Pte. McWilliams. Pte. Dougherty. Pte. Murdoch. Pte. O'Donughe.
Pte. Trainor. Pte. Gilfillan. Pte. McCombe. Pte. Kenny. Pte. McGurk. Pte. Pallerson. Pte. Woods. Pte. Rodgers. Pte. Sheen. Pte. Campbell. Pte. Irvine. Pte. McKay. Pte. Garrett.
Pte. Morgan. Pte. Ross. Pte. McKenna. Pte. Donovan. Pte. McCabe. Pte. McAllister. Pte. McDonnell. Pte. Plunkett. Pte. Dawson. Pt. Wallace. Pte. Campbell.
Pte. Shaffrey. L.-C. Palmer. L. -C. McKeen. Cpl. Haggans. Cpl. Curry. Lieut. Daunt. Lieut. Weir. Cr.-Sgt. Ellis. Sgt. Moore. Cpl. Flynn. L.-C. McLoughlin. L.-C. Campbell. Pte. Fox
Pte. Dickey.      Pte. Campbell.                   Bug. Neill.                Bug, Miskimmon.                  Pte. Crossan.      Pte. Devlin.

"H" Half Company
Pte. Downs. Pte. McIntyre. Pte. Kerr. Pte. Kennedy. Pte. Baxter. Pte. Brown. Pte. McCracken. Pte. Martin. Pte. Ireland. Pte. Lavery
Pte. Fry. Pte. McCrudden. Pte. Skelly. Pte. McClean. Pte. Lane. Pte. Ewings. Pte. Lavery. Pte. Armstrong. Pte. Wallace. Pte. Shields. Pte. Pike
Pte. Scannell. Pte. Keys. Pte. Topping. Pte. Riordan. Pte. McGrath. L.-C. Bull. Pte. Watts. Pte. Carlisle. Pte. Hewitt. Pte. Busby. Pte. McNulty. Trainor. Copeland. McNally.
Pte. Connor. Pte. Curry. Pte. Hammond. Pte. Fleming. Pte. Skelly. L.-C. Gunning. Pte. Harper. Pte. Elliott. Pte. O'Donnell. L.-C. Shields. Pte. Callaghan. Pte. McCann.   Pte. Johnston.
Pte. Wilson. Pte. Pollock. Cpl. Smith. Sgt. Williams. Sgt. Templeton. Lieut. Daunt. Lieut. Weir. Cr.-Sgt. Ellis. Sgt. Atkins. Sgt. Dorman. Pte. McNamara. Pte. Heaney. Pte. Marshall.
 Pte. McNally.     Bug. Miskimmons.                     Bug. Neill.      Pte. Colledge.

Regimental Shooting Team
L.-C. Barry.                  Sgt. Loakman.               Cr.-Sgt. Lawther.               Sgt. Watson.
Lieut. Weir.                                       Sgt.-Major Scott.
Pte. Fivey.                L.-C. Jackson

Regimental School
L.-C. Burns.             Cpl. Marks.        L.-C. Rodgers
Mrs. Farrell.   George Lewis.      Dorothy Clover.           Mary Ryan.       Phyllis Clover.      Bertie Scott.     Schlmr. Clover.
Morris Gordon.    May Caffray.     Jack Gordon.      Alf Atkins.     Amy Atkins.      Fred Clover.
A. Kindall.     Albert Simmons.    Jack Ryan.     Arthur Simmons.

Champion Tug-Of-War Team, Bombay Presidency, 1896
Pte. Hewitt.      Cpl. Irvine.     L.-C. Boyle.      Sgt. Horton.      Pte. Grant.
Pte. Peelan.      Cpl. Moore.      Capt. Atkins.      Col.-Sgt. Gordon.       Pte. Vallely.      Pte. Cousins.?
Pte. Cossan.                            Pte. Skelly.                       Sgt. Johnstone

Presentation of Colors to the 86th (Royal County Down) Regiment, by the Hon. Lady Airey,
at Gibraltar, 13th February, 1867

Group of Officers, Halifax, 1885 (Winter Dress)
Capt. Cairstairs. Capt. O'Leary. Major Sir George Clarke Traverse. Capt. Cliff. Lieut. Bruce. Lieut. Harvey. S.-M. McClenaghan. Lieut. Mulchinock. Lieut. Laurie. Capt. Allen
Capt. Hallum.  Major Seton.  Capt. Morphy.  Major Chetfield.          Col. De Montmorency.    Capt. Selby Smith.    Q.-M. Cleary
Capt. McWhinnie.   Capt. Rudyard.    Capt. Gaussen.   Major Jackson.   Col. Crofton.  Major Cutbill.  Lieut. Lillingstone Johnstone
Capt. Swaine.        Lieut. Hume.                                 

Group of Sergeants, Halifax, 1885 (Winter Dress)
Kenny. Bryan. Buchanan. Johnston. Flack. Morean. Lane. Foster. Donoghue. Reeves. McAllister. Leet. Wilson. Peak. Colby.
Fyffe. Kinneburgh. Smith. McNamara. Keenan. Gaynor. P.-Sgt. Coleman. Roberts. Crawford. Lunny.
Collins. C.-Sgt. Garegan. Patterson. A.-Sgt. Mason. Dwyer. Cole. Ventham. O.-R.-Sgt. Cunningham. Byrne. Campbell.
C.-Sgt. Cashen. Reynolds. Q.-M.-S. Williams. McBride. Gavin.
C.-Sgt. Parker. Carson. C.-Sgt. Henry. P.-Sgt. Morey. Band-M. Brown. C.-Sgt. Maleer. C.-Sgt. Scott.
Q.-M. McClenham. C.-Sgt. Bowling.

CLICK to enlarge
Kandalla Maneuvers

found inside the book - Larne