LENNON WYLIE
home   -   WW1 & WW2 Stuff   -   Genealogy Links
Please sign my Guestbook 


please donate

http:--www.lennonwylie.co.uk
 
1901 Belfast / Ulster Street Directory

STREET DIRECTORIES TRANSCRIBED
1805 - 1806 - 1807 - 1808 - 1819 - 1843 - 1852 - 1861 - 1868 - 1877 - 1880 - 1890
1901 - 1907 - 1908 - 1910 - 1912 - 1918 - 1924 - 1932 - 1943 - 1951 - 1960
1913 Tel. directory    1824 Pigots (Belfast)  &  (Bangor)   1894 Waterford Directory    1898 Newry Directory  Bangor Spectator Directory 1970
 

 

PTIndex   AB1   B2   C1   C2   D   EFG   HI   K   L1   L2LON   M   N   OP   RSTW

PROVINCIAL TOWNS
________________________________

Keady   Kilkeel   Killeshandra   Killinchy   Killough   Killybegs   Killyleagh   Kilrea   Kingscourt   Kirkcubbin

KEADY

Keady is a small but flourishing town, situated S.S.E. of Armagh a distance of six Irish miles, and on the leading road to Castleblayney.  The River Callan, on which it is situated, winds through some lovely valleys, and is very picturesque.  The principal streets rise to a large summit, and a grand view can be obtained of the neighbourhood from them.  The manufacture of linen is carried on to a great extent in the neighbourhood, and a linen factory in the centre of the town has also been started.  During the past year railway accommodation has been promised by the passing of the Kingscourt, Keady, and Armagh railway scheme, as was also a scheme put forward by the Newry Light Railway promoters, each of which was passed by a committee of the House of Commons, and which is sure to prove a great advantage to the district.  A handsome Market House stands at the junction of the main thoroughfare, and is constructed of brick, on a freestone base, and has a clock tower and spire, which cost considerably over 1,000.  A handsome Monument stands opposite to the Market House, erected in Memory of William Kirk, M.P., who died 1871, and who was the principal mainspring of the industrial activity and social progress of Keady.  Keady has been well noted for its tailoring trade, and a large number of workers are engaged.  The places of worship are - the Church of Ireland, two Presbyterian Churches, one Missionary Hall, and one Roman Catholic Chapel.  It has been under the Towns' Improvement Act since 1862, and was lighted by gas in 1853.  The principal products are potatoes, oats, flax, turnips, and hay.  markets for oats, etc., are held on Minday, (Monday), Thursday, and Friday, and on Friday the market for all commodities is held.  The fair is held the second Friday of every month.  Population in 1891, 1,200

Post Office - Alex. Small, postmaster,
Petty Sessions Third Monday of each month, and Town Court second Saturday of each month
Clerk of Petty Sessions - William Roden
Magistrates - W. McKean, Thomas Small, Michael Smyth, Patrick Hughes, Alexander Wallace, Robert R. Murphy, P. G. Shaw, and Hugh Douglas
Constabulary Station - Sergeant Danl. Hughes and Sergeant Robert Johnston; Constables William A. Wall, Thomas Cromie, Edward Somers, Patrick McGee, James Gordon, and J. Traynor
Town Commissioners - Messrs. Michael Smyth, J.P. (chairman); Dr. H. S. Dorman, Bernard Woods, Charles J. Campbell, Arthur Woods, John Nugent, John W. Campbell, George McBride, Bernard Fegan. Peter McKnight, town clerk
Keady District L.O.L. No. 8 - District Master, Andrew Gordon; Deputy District Master, George Fleming; chaplain, Rev. J. McEndoo; secretary, William W. Waddell; treasurer, John Gibson, sen. Number of private lodges, nine

PLACES OF WORSHIP

Church of Ireland - Rev. M. B. Hogg, A.M.
First Presbyterian Church - Rev. R. J. Porter, B.A.  Second Presbyterian Church - Rev. George Steen, A.M.; Rev. Saml. H. Martin, B.A.
Roman Catholic Chapel - Rev. Canon Coyne, P.P.; Rev. Patrick Vallely, C.C.; Rev. F. McShane, C.C.; and rev. P. Devine, C.C.

PUBLIC INSTITUTIONS

Northern Bank - W. H. Dickie, manager; ? Clarke, cashier
National Schools (Parochial) - R. J. McKenna, teacher.  Second National School - ? Anderson and Miss Mitchell, teachers
Roman Catholic Schools - The Christian Brothers, teachers.  Girls - The Nuns of St. Clare, teachers
British Workman Insurance Co. - William Menary
Dispensary - H. H. S. Dorman, M.D., surgeon, dispensary doctor
Hospital - Miss B. A. Steele, nurse
Keady Linen Company Limited - J. E. Calvert, managing director
Prudential Insurance Co. - John Nugent

INHABITANTS

Adams, John, linen lapper
Allan & Co., grocers and general merchants
Arthurs, Mrs., delf merchant

Bailie, John, spirit merchant, grocer and victualler
Blackstock, Thos., boot maker
Blakeley, John, caretaker, Orange Hall
Boyd, Robert, boot maker
Bradley, F. L.
Burns, Henry, grocer and delph merchant

Callaghan, Thomas, shoe maker
Calvert, J. E., mill manager
Campbell, Charles, spirit merchant
Campbell, John, shoe maker, The Pound
Campbell, John W., spirit merchant
Campbell, John, car proprietor
Carberry, Thomas, cattle dealer
Carolan, Bernard, tinsmith
Carvill, Francis, spirit merchant
Casey, Miss, drapery goods
Cassidy, James, saddler
Cheevers, John, spirit merchant and grocer
Clarke, Eliza, spirit merchant
Coade, John, tenter
Cochrane, Thomas, barber
Collins, Thomas, tea merchant
Connolly, John, baker and grocer
Coyne, Rev. Canon
Cummins, Wm., grocer and hardware merchant
Curry, James, contractor

Daly, Anthony, baker and grocer
Dobie, George, foreman dyer
Donnelly, Patrick, blacksmith
Dorman, H., M.D.
Duffy, Francis, boarding house
Duffy, John, postman
Dumigan, Daniel, spirit merchant
Dunbar, William, nailer

Eccles, H., spirit merchant and grocer
English and Scottish Law Life Office - Agents, W. F. McCormick, Merchant; Peter Campbell, Merchant
English, Mrs. Ellen, publican, drapery establishment and hotel keeper
Ewart, Joseph, postman

Fegan, Bernard, draper and outfitter
Fegan, Mrs. F., grocer
Finlay, Luke, watch maker
Fitzpatrick, Thomas, tailor

Gibson, John Leeper, saddler
Gibson, William, coachman
Golligly, James, tailor
Gordon, the Misses, dress making establishment
Gorman, John, mill worker
Gorman, Patrick, tailor
Graham, Mrs., draper and outfitter
Green, J., barber

Hannon, Eliza Jane, publican
Heanon, Mrs., victualling establishment
Hogg, Rev. M. B., rector of Keady Parish Church
Hollywood, Patrick, baker
Hughes, John, linen lapper
Hughes, Bernard, foreman
Hugheston, Mrs. J., boarding house and grocer
Hugeston, John, labourer

Kirk & Son, linen manufacturers

Martin, Rev. Samuel H., Dunlargue House
Menary, William, commercial traveller
Mone, Patrick, spirit merchant and grocer
Mone, Patk., blacksmith
Murphy, Miss Mary J., wines and spirits

McAleary, Miss, dress making establishment
McArdle, Edward, greengrocer
McArdle, Terence, tailor
McBride, George, grocer and leather and wine merchant
McCabe, Samuel, painter
McCann, Edward, tailor
McConnell, John, boarding house
McCormick, Wm. F., grocer and hardware merchant
McCullagh, grocer and provision merchant
McGinney, Michael, hotel keeper
McGivern, Patk., carpenter
McGrory, James, nailor
McGuire, Michael, billiard marker
McGurk, James, painter
McIlroy, James, boot maker and house agent
McKean, Wm., J.P.
McKee, Thomas, butcher
McKee, Wm., carpenter and contractor
McKenna, Mrs., boarding house
McKenna, R. J., teacher
McKinney, James, spirit merchant
McKnight, Wm., boot maker and leather merchant
McShane, Lawrence, crane master and grocer
McWilliams, Hugh, postman

Nicholson, John, grocery, hardware and bakery establishment
Nugent, John, auctioneer, grocer and spirit merchant
Nugent, Paul, carrier
Nugent, Patrick, carter

O'Brien, Patrick H., solicitor
O'Neill, Patrick, barber
O'Neill, Robert, coach builder

Phoenix Fire Office - Agent, W. F. McCormick, Merchant
Pogue, Joseph, stone mason
Price, Samuel, jun., linen lapper

Rainey, James, carpenter
Rainey, John, carpenter
Rainey, Mrs., grocer
Reid, Misses, dress making and millinery establishment
Reilly, W. J., grocer, draper and hardware merchant
Richardson, William, spirit merchant
Roden, Wm., clerk of petty sessions
Rodgers, Robert, wine and spirit merchant and grocery

Sheridan, Michael, car driver
Shields, Thomas, shoe maker
Short, Henry, spirit merchant
Small, A. & S., drapers and merchant tailors
Small, Thomas, J.P.
Smyth, James, spirit merchant
Steele, William, boot maker
Steen, Rev. George

The Christian Brothers
Thompson, Joseph, leather merchant and grocer

Waddell, Robert, grocer, newsagent and spirit merchant
Waddell, W. W., Press correspondent
Walker, Joseph, grocer
Watson, William James, C.B.O.
Watters & Smyth, drapers and outfitters
Wiggins, James, foreman baker
Wilson, Alexander, boot maker
Wilson, Thomas, boot maker
Woods, B. & T. Woods, grocers and spirit merchants
Woods, Thomas, spirit merchant

FARMERS

Adams, Wm. Jas., Tullinamalogue
Adams, James, Dunlargue
Anderson, James, Tullyglush
Armstrong, John, Drumderg
Armstrong, Wm., Mowillian

Baird, George, Clea
Best, John, Tullyglush
Boyd, Andrew, Brackley
Boyd, James, Tullinamalogue
Boyd, Mrs. Mary Ann, Dunlargue
Bradshaw, Thomas, Madden
Bratty, William, Iskeymeadow
Breen, Bernard, Clea
Breen, John, Clea
Breen, Matthew, Clea
Brooks, Robert, Drumhirk
Brown, George, Drumhirk
Brown, Mrs., Killyreavy
Burke, Francis, Rathcarberry
Burke, John, Lower Darkley
Burke, Mrs. John, Rathcarberry
Burke, Patrick, Lower Darkley

Callaghan, Thomas, Dunlargue
Campbell, David, Derryhennett
Campbell, James, Killyreavy
Campbell, John W., Keady
Campbell, Nathaniel, Dunlargue
Campbell, William, Derryhennett
Cashlea, Arthur, Madden
Cassidy, James, Tullyglush
Coleman, Archibald, Armaghbreague
Conry, James, Granemore
Conry, John, Granemore
Conry, Michael, Granemore
Coulter, John, Cargaclougher
Craig, James, Knockravin
Cummins, William, Keady
Curran, Thomas, Clea
Curry, Robert, Iskeymeadow

Daly, Ellen, Clea
Daly, James, Clea
Dalzell, Robert, Carnagh
Devine, James, Cargaclougher
Devlin, Joseph, Drumhirk
Devlin, William, Drumhirk
Dobbin, H. J., Rathcarberry
Donnelly, Francis, Cargaclougher
Donnelly, Francis, Cargaclougher
Douglas, Hugh, Mountain Lodge
Dunlop, James, Annmount

English, Samuel, Knockravin
Ewart, James A., Drumderg
Ewart, John, Drumderg

Faloon, James, Drumderg
Fleming, John, Corkley
Fleming, George, Corkley
Foster, John, Mowillian
Foster, Robert, Killcreary
Frazer, George, Carramoil
Freeland, James, Lagan

Gibson, Joseph, Dunlargue House
Gibson, Thomas, Dunlargue
Gibson, Thomas J., Tullinamalogue
Giffin, Samuel, Clea
Glasgow, William, Madden
Gordon, Andrew, Dundrum
Gordon, Andrew, Greenvale
Gordon, George, Tassagh
Golligly, Francis, Knockravin
Gorman, Mrs., Dunlargue

Hall, James, senr., Fernaloy
Hall, James, jun., Mowillian
Hartford, George, Derryhennett
Harvey, Ben., Armaghbreague
Haughey, James, Dunlargue
Hill, John, Dunlargue
Hill, William, Dunlargue
Hogg, Nathaniel, Corkley
Hughes, George, Clea
Hughes, Henry, Granemore
Hughes, James, Armaghbreague
Hughes, John, Knockravin
Hughes, Patrick, Clea
Hughes, Michael, Clea

Jenkins, Andrew, Armaghbreague
Jenkins, Stewart, Armaghbreague

Keatings, Michael, Clea
Kelly, Adam, Armaghbreague
Kernaghan, Thomas, Armaghbreague
Kerr, John, Dunlargue

Lawson, William, Lagan
Lawson, Robert, Derryhennett
Lenagh, Arthur, Rathcarberry
Loughlin, Thomas, Clea
Lutton, John, Iskeymeadow

Macklin, Francis, Clea
Macklin, Michael, Clea
Mann, James, Tullinamalogue
Menary, Joseph, Tullinamalogue
Menary, Joseph, Drumhirk
Merry, James, Clea
Mitchell, Thomas, Crossmore
Montgomery, Thomas, Sheetrim
Moore, Alexander, Tullinamalogue
Moore, Francis, Lower Darkley
Moore, John, Iskeymeadow
Moore, William, Iskeymeadow
Moorecroft, Robert, Corkley
Morrison, Wm., Tullinamalogue
Murphy, David, Lislea
Murray, Joseph, Clea

McAnally, Michael, Clea
McAnally, Terence, Clea
McArdle, Francis, Tullyglush
McArdle, Hugh, Mowillian
McArdle, Peter, Cargaclougher
McBride, Robert, Crossdened
McBride, Wm. J., Tullyglush
McCabe, James, Lower Darkley
McCave, James, Clea
McCann, Patrick, Drumderg
McCarten, Thomas, Mowillian
McCarten, Wm., Mowillian
McCoey, Michael, Rathcarberry
McCormick, John, Lower Darkley
McCormick, John, Lower Darkley
McCoy, George, Armaghbreague
McGare, Edward, Tullinamalogue
McGleenan, Michael, Tullyglush
McGurk, Michael, Lower Darkley
McHaffey, John, Mowillian
McHaffey, Robert, Mowillian
McIlhern, Peter, Drumderg
McIlreth, Samuel, Drunhirk
McKean, Wm., J.P., Millmount
McKee, David, Tullyglush
McKenna, John, Crossmore
McKenna, William, Iskeymeadow
McKeown, James, Clea
McMahon, Felix, Lower Darkley
McShane, Lawrence, New Holland

Nicholson, John, Keady
Nugent, Felix, Lower Darkley
Nugent, John, Keady
Nugent, Patrick, Cargaclougher
Nugent, Neil, Armaghbreague

O'Hara, Amy, Lagan
O'Hara, James, Lagan
Ormsby, Captain, Tullyglush House

Rafferty, Bernard, Lower Darkley
Rafferty, Dan, Lower Darkley
Rafferty, John, Tullyglush
Rennighan, Patrick, Clea
Rielly, William J., Keady (Reilly in 1907)
Robinson, Watt, Iskeymeadow
Rodgers, William, Derryhennett
Rooney, Andy, Clea
Russell, A., Armaghbreague

Short, Cornelius, Clea
Short, Henry, Keady
Slavin, Francis, Clea
Slavin, Peter, Clea
Sleator, James, Iskeymeadow
Sleator, Samuel, Hermitage
Small, Samuel S., Keady
Stewart, Henry, Knockravin

Teacey, Andrew, Madden
Teacey, James, Madden
Teacey, John, Madden
Thommny, Thomas, Lower Darkley
Tughan, John, Knockravin
Tughan, Samuel, Tullyglush
Twynam, Thomas, Tullyglush

Waddell, Robert, Keady
Waddell, William, Dunlargue
Walker, James, Drumhirk
Walker, Jenkinson, Drumhirk
Walker, John, Mowillian
Walker, William, Mowillian
Wallace, Alexander, J.P., Annavale House
Warnock, David, Armaghbreague
Warnock, James, Armaghbreague
Watson, Alexander, Crossmore
Watson, David, Crossmore
Watson, Joseph, Crossmore
Watson, Mrs. I., Crossmore
Watson, Samuel, Crossmore
Watson, William Jas., Crossmore
Williamson, Maxwell, Dunlargue
Williamson, Samuel, Roan
Wilson, Andy, Madden
Wilson, William, Annvale

KILKEEL

The flourishing town of Kilkeel is situated near the southern extremity of the County of Down, in the Barony of Mourne, and is half a mile distant from the open coast.  The town, which is composed of five streets - Newry Street, Greencastle Street, Quay Street, Bridge Street and Newcastle Street contains 1,452 inhabitants.  Generally, the houses are well built, and several handsome residences have lately been erected.  The sanitary state of the town is most satisfactory.  The religious edifices are - The Church of Ireland, two Presbyterian Churches, a Moravian Church, and a Roman Catholic Chapel.  In the town there is a branch of the Belfast Bank, the Workhouse of the Kilkeel Union, a Post Office, a Police Barrack, and three excellent hotels.  Petty Sessions are held on the last Tuesday of each month, the local magistrates being - Earl of Kilmorey, J.P., Mourne Park; Messrs. J. Q. Henry, The Abbey; James Walmsley, Ballykeel House; John Orr, Kilkeel; Thomas Bartley, Shannon Grove; and Alexander Gordon.  The shop keepers in the town are all courteous and energetic, and furnish all requisites of the best quality for family use.  A great number of vessels discharge coal at the pier, which has been of great advantage to the people of the district.  Kilkeel boasts of a large number of fishing luggers, and the hardy fishermen pursue their remunerative calling with praiseworthy perseverance.  About twelve minutes' walk from Kilkeel there is a splendid strand.  In the future this beautiful bay is likely to attract large numbers of health seekers.  Indeed, it would now be a favourable resort if suitable cottages were erected along the shore.  The scenery of the district is remarkably grand, and tourists' trips through it by coach are becoming increasingly popular.

Post Office, Telegraph, and Money Order Office - Mrs. McDermott Roe, postmistress.
Petty Sessions Office and Office of Registrar of Births, Deaths and Marriages - Robt. Boyd, clerk and registrar. commissioner for taking affidavits
Belfast Banking Company Limited - R. J. Long, manager; H. Pentland, cashier; attendance ay Annalong every Tuesday
Union Workhouse - Thomas Graham, clerk; Hugh Gilliece, master; Mrs. Gilliece, matron; Miss Crangle, infirmary
Dispensary - Doctors, H. E. Evans and S. Ferguson, Floyd
R.I. Constabulary - Joseph McMinn, sergeant
National Schools - Dunavan, St. Colman's (Infant), Kilkeel, R. Couser, principal; Ballymartin, R. Mitchell, principal; Grange, P. Delaney, principal; Cranfield, Mrs. Orr, principal
Coast Guard Station, Leestone; Coast Guard Station, Greencastle
Irish Lights Department, Haulbowline
Lighthouse, Cranfield - Keeper and three assistants

PLACES OF WORSHIP

Bridge Street Hall - (Brethren)
Church of Ireland - Rev. H. McKnight, rector; Rev. D. Scott, curate
Gordon Memorial Hall - Various
Presbyterian (Mourne) - Rev. W. McMordie; (Kilkeel), Rev. R. White
Moravian Meeting-house - Rev. R. B. Willey
Roman Catholic Chapels - Massforth and Attical, Rev. Dr. Marner, P.P.; Rev. W. J. Boylan, C.C.; and Rev. John H. Eardley, C.C.; Ballymartin, Rev. R. J. Murphy, P.P.

INHABITANTS


Armstrong, Miss, Victoria Villas

Boyd, Robert, Marathon

Carey, A. S., B.A., Boys' School, Mourne Grange
Close, Mrs., Mournewood
Cowser, Robert, Albert Villa
Cuming, Miss, Cumingville

Donaldson, Miss, Princess Villa

Evans, Dr. H. E., Mountpleasant

Fisher, John M., Cloona Villas
Forsythe, James, Heath Hall

Gordon, Alexander, J.P., Beulah

Hawkshaw, Commander, R.N., J.P.
Henry, Francis, Mourne Abbey
Henry, John Q., J.P., Mourne Abbey
Henry, the Misses, Mourne Abbey
Hickson, Miss, Cloona Villas

Kelly, the Misses, Princess Villas
Kilmorey, the Earl of, K.P., Mourne Park

Laing, Rev. J., Albert Villa
Lee, Miss, ladies' school
Le Fanu, B. R., Croona Villas

Matier, H. A., St. Ruans
Matthews, L., Greenfield
Montgomery, Miss, Bayview Park
Morton, Miss, Victoria Villas

McBride, Mrs., Bay View Park
McClymont, Gilbert, Thornmount
McFarlane, Mrs., Eastwood
McMordie, Rev. Wm., Mourne Manse

Orr, Andrew, Cranfield House

Pentland, Herbert, Bayview Park

Reynolds, Miss, Ranelagh
Reynolds, Mrs., Bay View Park
Richmond, David, Victoria Villas
Richmond, Miss, Princess Villa

Shannon, Mrs., Fintimara
Stewart, Miss, Packolet

Taylor, Mrs., Princess Villas

Walmsley, Andrew, Riverside
Walmsley, H., The Green
Walmsley, James, J.P., Ballykeel House
Waring, Holt, Lisnascree House
White, Rev. R., Cromlech House

Newry Street

Annett, Robert, publican and auctioneer
Beck, Miss, dress maker
Bragdon, David, baker, publican and egg merchant
Curran, Daniel, baker and grocer
Donaghue, James, mechanic
Donnan, James, lodgings
Doran, Nicholas, saddler
Edgar, James, grocer
Greenan, George, shoe maker
Hanna, John, grocer
Haughey, Mrs., laundress and lodgings
Higgins, P., lodgings
Marks, J., V.S.
Marmion, Bernard, tinsmith

McCartan, James, publican and auctioneer
McCartan, Patk., hardware, butter and egg merchant
McCulla, George, blacksmith
McGlue, Thomas, lodgings
McKee, Thomas, carter
McKenna, James, R.I.C.
McKnight, Mrs., draper
McQuillan, Patk., tailor
McVea, Jas., ship owner and coal merchant
Sheals, Mrs., draper
Sloan, R. J., draper
Small, Peter, grocer and shipping agent
Stewart, Mrs., sewed muslin agent
Sullivan, Michael, grocer
Whiteman, John, sexton

Greencastle Street

Beck, James, grocer
Bell, Miss, Glena Cottage (apartments)
Boyd, R., C.P.S. Office
Boyd, James D., fancy goods store

Crory, Mrs., Kilmorey Arms Hotel
Crutchley, James, leather merchant and draper
Curragh, Charles, draper
Cunningham, Patk., boot and shoe maker
Doran, James, car driver
Fisher & Le Fanu, contractors
Floyd, S. Ferguson, M.D.
Galway, Bryce, watch maker and jeweller
Gordon, James, M.D.
Gordon, William, relieving officer
Gordon, W. & A., printers
Graham, John, boot and shoe maker
Graham, Thos., clerk of union
Gray, Thos., shoe maker and caretaker Orange Hall
Hanna, Robert, grocer
Hardy, Mrs., boarding house and grocer
Kenmuir, Edward, painter and glazier
Kenmuir, Edward, jun., butcher
Lee, Miss, ladies' school
Marner, Rev. Richard, D.D. P.P.
Martin, Miss, publican
Mitchell, Mrs., confectioner draper
Monteith, Wm., principal Kilmorey N.S.
McAtee, David, hair dresser and cycle repairer
McKnight, Wm., publican
McMullan, Andrew, tailor
Newell, William
Norton & Co.'s Car Service - Robert Boyd, superintendent; Hugh Russell, agent
Orr, Andrew, Wine and Spirit Merchant, Funeral Undertaker and Newsagent
O'Hagan, Mrs., publican
Rooney, Charles, tailor
Roe, R. McDermott, stationer and post office
Ross, James, grocer and draper
Sloan, W., baker and grocer
Widdick, Mrs., green grocer and lodging house
Wray, R. B., solicitor

Newcastle Street

Annett, J., jun., hotel proprietor
Baird, John, tailor
Beck, James, car driver
Bingham, John, carpenter
Burns, Edward, saddler
Chambers, John, shoe maker
Chambers, William, sea captain
Cousins, Robert, saddler
Cunningham, Patrick, draper
Davidson, John, car driver
Doran, Susan, sewed muslin agent
Doyle, J., draper and coal merchant
English and Scottish Law Life and Phoenix Fire Office - Agent, John Annett, jun., Bridge Street
Goodfellow, William, marine store
Hamilton, William, mason
Hanna, William, shoe maker
Irwin, J., shoe maker
Moore Bros., shoeing forge
Moore, W. J., carpenter
McGovern, James, tinsmith
McKee, Mrs., lodgings
McVeigh, John, butcher
Newell, C., grocer
Newell, Isabella, sewed muslin agent
Quinn, J., blacksmith
Reynolds, John, publican
Rooney, John, Royal Hotel
Rush, James, summons server and process server
Russell, Hugh, dealer in fancy goods
Skillen, Mary, dress maker & sewed muslin agent
Walmsley, J. C., grocer
Walmsley, George, saddler
Whiteman, Mrs., grocer
Wilson, T., painter

The Square

Annett, George, & Co., drapers
Clark, John, grocer
Cunningham, Patrick, publican
Devenport, J., shoe maker
Doran, Arthur, car driver
Ferguson, Jocelyn, carpenter
Gordon, Alex., draper
Moore, Hunter, solicitor
Morgan, James, publican and grocer
McCartan, Mrs., publican
McConville, Daniel, hair dresser
McCredy, Mrs., draper
McGovern, James, tinsmith
Orr, John, J.P., merchant
Orr, Robert, publican
O'Hagan, Mrs., lodgings
Shannon & Co., grocers
Sloan, John, carter
Small, Joseph, boot maker

Shore Road

Annett, John, painter and glazier
Crosslin, M., laundry
Glenny, Henry, car driver
Grills, Thomas
Hamilton, Mrs., grocer
Magennis, Henry, refreshment rooms
Morgan, Arthur, grocer
McBride, Henry, fisherman
McBride, John, sexton
McBride, Mrs., grocer
McIntosh, James, harbour master
McIntosh, Mary, lodgings
McKee, Robert, grocer
McKee, W., boat owner
McMurray, William, draper and builder
O'Brien, P., stone cutter
O'Hare, John, stone cutter

Mountain Road

Howard, James H., R.I.C.
Morgan, M., baker
McConville, Charles, butcher
McConville, John, butcher
Shields, Mrs.

FARMERS

Annett, Charles, Cranfield
Annett, James, Ballyardle
Atkinson, Maxwell, Mullartown House
Austin, Charles, Aughnahoorey

Bartley, Thomas, J.P., Shannon Grove
Bingham, James, Aughnahoorey

Carvill, Nicholas, Grange
Caulfield, Richard, Corcreighan
Close, Mrs., Morne Wood
Coffey, James, Cranfield
Cumine, Edward, Maghery
Cumine, John, Maghery
Cunningham, Wm., Millbay

Doran, James, Dunaril

Forstyth, Robert, Ballinran (Forsythe)

Grills, George, Ballinhatten
Gordon, Alexander, J.P., Kilkeel

Hamilton, Isaac, Cranfield
Haugh, Thomas, Benagh
Henderson, Thomas, Derryogue
Hanna, Samuel, Cranfield
Hanna, William, Derryague
Harper, John Q., J.P., Morne Abbey
Henry, William, Brackney Hall

Irvine, William, Ballykeel

Kenmare, Thomas, Lisnacree

Lee, Harcourt, Derryogue

Mackin, Nicholas, Lurganreagh
Magee, John, land steward, Mourne Park
Miller, John, Derryogue
Minnis, Nicholas, Brackney
Moore, John D., Lurganconery
McElroy, Henry, Greencastle
McElroy, Peter, Greencastle
McKee, Henry, Derryogue
McKee, John, Derryogue
McNeilly, Joseph, Glassdrummond

Newell, Swan, Drummond
Nicholson, James, Moore Lodge
Nicholson, Robert, Millbay
Nicholson, Samuel, Benagh
Nicholson, William, Derryogue Cottage

Orr, Andrew, Cranfield House
Orr, Charles, Greencastle
Orr, James, Benagh
Orr, John, J.P., Kilkeel
Orr, Samuel, Ballymartin
Orr, William, Ballymartin
O'Hare, Michael, Maghereagh

Patterson, Arthur, Cranfield
Patterson, William, Grange
Peery, Samuel, Derryogue

Quinn, Henry, Brackney
Quinn, James, Ballinahatten
Quinn, John, Brackney

Reilly, James, Benagh

Scott, Samuel, Ballinran
Shannon, Charles, Mourne Park
Shannon, Mrs., Maghery
Sibbitt, Thomas, Derryogue
Spence, Robert, Aughnahoorey
Stevenson, Hugh, Aughnahoorey
Stevenson, James, Aughnahooray
Stevenson, James, Maghereagh
Stewart, Miss, Packolet

Thomson, Kennedy, Glassdrummond

Walmsley, Andrew, Riverside
Walmsley, Harry, The Green
Walmsley, James, J.P., Ballykeel

KILLESHANDRA

The Town of Killeshandra is beautifully situated on a hill, composed of one street running north and south.  The Episcopal Church occupies a sire at the south end of the town.  Beside the church there is a handsome Martin Memorial Parochial Hall.  The Roman Catholic and Presbyterian Churches are situated about half a mile from the town.  In the neighbourhood is a splendid Co-operative Dairy using about 7,000 gallons of milk per day.  There is also a splendid saw mill, worked by steam.  Interesting to the antiquary is a very ancient old church, now in ruins, which was built in 1688, with the Hamilton crest displayed on the front portion.  The Masonic and the Orange orders are represented by two lodges.  The postal arrangements are good.

Post Office - D. H. Crawford, postmaster

PLACES OF WORSHIP

Church of Ireland - Rev. H. F. Martin, rector
Presbyterian Church - Rev. J. H. Whitsitt
Roman Catholic Church - Rev. J. O'Reily, P.P.; Rev. J. Brady, C.C.

INHABITANTS

Crawford, D. H., J.P., Croghan House, Castlehamilton
Brady, Thos., hotel
Crawford, D. H., postmaster
Crawford, Miss, post office
Douglas, Dr. Tully, Castlehamilton
Fares, Henry, & Son, merchant
Flitcher, J. H., sawmill
Hamilton, Capt. W. J., D.S., Castlehamilton
Kells, Mrs., Royal Hotel
Kenny, Dr., Green View, Castlehamilton
Lough, Mrs., Drumully House, Castlehamilton
Mee, John J., & Son, draper
McCabe, Thos. F., draper
North, Robert, P.S., clerk and merchant
O'Donnell, W., merchant
Phair, John, grocer
Reynolds, Thos., merchant
Sheridan, James, merchant
Storey, W., merchant
Teevan, Miss, grocer, etc.
White, Arthur, & Sons, saddlers
White Brothers, saddlers
Woods, Mrs., butter and egg merchant

KILLINCHY

Killinchy is a beautiful village in the East Division of the County  of Down, twelve miles from Belfast, on the leading road from Belfast to Downpatrick.  It stands upon a splendid elevation, surrounded by grand scenery of different kinds.  On the one side is Strangford Lough, formerly known as Lough Cuan.  On the other is the beautiful demesne of Florida Manor, the seat of Mr. Alex. Gordon, J.P., D.L., Delamont, Killyleagh.  Close by is the remains of Scattrick Castle, levelled by Cromwell while on his march along the shore to Downpatrick.  The Parish Church, with its high tower, and situated upon a great eminence, is a fine building, and can be seen at a long distance.  There is also the Presbyterian Church, the minister of which was at one time the celebrated Rev. John Livingstone, one of the first five Presbyterian ministers that came to Ireland in the 17th century.

          "Killinchy!  Killinchy! how glorious the day,
          When thy Livingstone heard thee and hasted away
          From the land where the sons of the covenant stood,
          Signed the Charter of Freedom, and sealed it with blood."

Close at hand are very fine structures, the Unitarian Church, the Presbyterian Church, the Episcopal Church, and also the Reformed Presbyterian Church.  The population is about 1,100.  There are several other fine buildings in close proximity to the village, amongst them being the Masonic Hall.  There is also a National School in connection with the Presbyterian Church and the Church of Ireland

Post Office - Wm. McCann, postmaster

PLACES OF WORSHIP

Church of Ireland - Rev. Dr. Burton, The Rectory
Presbyterian Church - Rev. D. R. Moore, Belfast; and Rev, Wm. Smyth, Hollypark, ministers
Reformed Presbyterian Church - Rev. Matthew Hodge
Unitarian Church - Rev. Joseph Geary, The Manse, Ballyminstra

INHABITANTS

Auld, John, Ballymacreely

Bailie, Thos., The Rock, Killinchy
Bishop, Francis, farmer
Bodel, Wm., farmer, The Curragh
Boyd, Samuel, farmer, Killinchy
Brownlie, Wm., general smith works

Cleeland, Mrs., Ballymorn House
Cooper, Robert, Balloo
Coulter, The Misses, Ballyminstra
Crickard, William, farmer

Davidson, John, Carragullin, farmer
Devinne, Wm., land steward, Florida Manor
Dickson, Dr., J.P., Ashvale

Finlay, John, Ballyminstra, boot and shoe maker
Finlay, John, Rock Cottage
Finlay, Wm. James, woollen draper, farmer etc.
Frew, John M., The Terrace, Ballymacreely, farmer

Gabbey, Hugh, Ballybundon
Gourley, James, J.P., Derryboye Cottage

Henry, The Misses, Balloo
Hewitt, Jas., Ballymacreely
Hewitt, John, contractor and blacksmith
Hewitt, Samuel, farmer
Humphreys, M. E., school teacher, Killinchy School

Ingram, Daniel, Fairymount
Ingram, Thomas, Florida View

Jelly, Samuel, farmer

Lowry Brothers, Loughhill, farmers
Lowry, John, J.P., Closepark
Lowry, the Misses, Loughview

Millar, Miss, Ardview
Minnis, Mrs. Alex.
Minnis, Mrs. John
Minnis, Mrs. Thomas
Morrison, John, Ballymacreely, farmer
Morrison, Robert, P.B.
Morrow, Andrew, Ballymorn, coal merchant
Morrow, Hugh D., farmer, Lisbane
Morrow, Sam., Ballydoran, farmer
McCann, Hamilton, farmer
McCann, William, grocer and farmer
McCann, Wm. J., White Rock, farmer
McConnell, Francis, farmer
McConnell, George, farmer
McConnell, James, spirit merchant
McGowan, William, flax and corn mills
McKee Bros., D. and R., farmers

Osborne, James, farmer, Ballymacreely
Osborne, Mrs. David, Rockmount

Paisley & Co., woollen drapers, Balloo
Paisley & Co., Masonic Hall (drapers)
Parker, John, school teacher and clerk of petty sessions, Courthouse, Florida Manor
Patterson, Jas., farmer
Potter, John, Mourne View
Potter, Lemon
Prentice, John, farmer
Prentice, Samuel, farmer
Prentice, Wm., farmer

Ritchie, James, school teacher, Killinchy School
Robinson, Jas., Balloo Corn and Flax Mills
Robinson, Hugh, Ballybundon Flax Mills
Robinson, John, grocer and farmer
Russell Bros., spirit merchants, Ballydorn

Shaw, Wm., Lusky Corn and Flax Mills (Lucky in 1907)
Stevenson, Hugh, boot and shoe maker
Stevenson, Robert, Ballybundon
Stewart, Thomas, Craigarisky

Thompson, Mrs., Killinchy

Wallace, Dr., The Kilmood Dispensary, Lisban
Watson, the Misses, Templebrook Valley
Wilson, James, farmer, The Craigs

Conveyance - F. Morrow, proprietor

KILLOUGH

Killough (Cill Locha, the Church of the Lake), a clean, pretty, quaint little village, seaport and station on the Belfast and County Down Railway, 23 miles S.E. from Belfast. and 6 from Downpatrick.  With the exception of a fine square in the centre, it consists principally of a long, wide street, almost a mile in length, that curves in a semicircle round the harbour.  The square and greater part of this street are shaded with a double row of handsome sycamore trees of about thirty years' growth, in the summer season look charming, and is a delightful promenade on a hot day. At the southern end of the village is the spring from which the famous "Scordan Water" unceasingly flows.  It is said to be of the purest and most wholesome kind.  Viscount Bangor, the owner of the property, has, at considerable expense, had a large reservoir constructed to receive this constant flow of water, from which pipes are laid through the village, fountains conveniently placed, and connecting pipes into the principal houses, so that all have an unlimited supply of delicious spring water.  Few villages are so fortunate in this respect.  There is a good quay, built by Lord Bangor's predecessor.  The harbour is safe and commodious, and affords good anchorage and quayage for vessels of moderate draft.  A considerable trade is done in coal, lime, timber, grain, potatoes, agricultural produce, and general merchandise by steamers and sailing vessels from England, Scotland, and the Channel Islands, etc.  The fishermen catch quantities of herring and mackerel in the season, also cod, ling, haddock, fluke, whiting, and lobster. The water surrounding the coast is very clear and free from impurities.  There are many convenient spots for sea-bathing, in addition to the principal place at back of the quay, where there is a safe, level sandy beach, and a number of boxes available.  Of late years it has become a rising watering-place, and a favourite resort of Sunday school and other excursionists.  The quiet and peaceable inhabitants vie with each other in making the temporary home and visits of their patrons as pleasant and enjoyable as possible.  The principal hotel is the "Bangor Arms."  Here every attention is paid to visitors.  It is remarkably clean, and the tariff very moderate.  South of Killough - next St. John's Point - is the Castle Park -  tract of about nine acres of a fine, short, grassy sward above the rocks on the sea shore.  A visitor has thus lately described the park - "Before you the dazzling blue waters of the Irish sea stretching out to the sky, across the bay the towers of Ardglass looking over the hill, and in a clear day the misty blue hills of the Isle of Man are plainly visible.  Now and then you see the smoke of a steamer, and sometimes the herring fleet, sail after sail, passing the mouth of the bay.  At your feet the sea is breaking on the rocks; a cool breeze is always blowing; the grass is soft, and the sleepy sound of the sea is ever in the ear. Fresh briny smells blow in from the sea, and now and then a fragrance of hay or clover from the fields above.    From the flag-staff eminence a new and most beautiful scene opens up.  Down below lies the whole shining expanse of Dundrum Bay - lustrous reaches of fluctuous sea; beyond it, far in front, are the dark, towering shapes of Donard and the Mourne mountains.  You can make out Newcastle and the yellow sand of the golf links at their feet, and the streams and waterfalls on their slopes.  The eye wanders over hill and vale, wood and hedge-row, and the white farmhouses dotted everywhere."  Lord Bangor has had a splendid cycling track laid down here, where the popular annual sports of the Killough Cycling Club are held.  He gives all visitors free access to this park, which could not be surpassed as a safe and pleasant recreation ground, or a more ideal place for a day's sport.  Children and friends can spend an enjoyable and profitable day without any fears for their safety.  "No pleasanter resting place when mind and body are weary."  Plenty of boating can be had and the roads in the district are good and inviting for either walking, cycling, or driving.  There is an almshouse here, built out if the bequest of Mr. Charles Sheils.  He was a native of Killough, of humble parentage, became a successful Liverpool merchant, and left 90,000 for this purpose.  His tomb is in the churchyard, and only a short distance from the house in which he was born.

Post Office, Telegraph, Money Order and Savings Bank - John Montgomery, postmaster
Bank - Northern - Attendance from Downpatrick every Wednesday - W. B. Martin, manager
Dispensary - medical Officer, Dr. A. McComiskey
Coastguard Station, Castle Park - Upstall, J., C.O.
Viscount Bangor Nation School - Teacher, Miss Finlay
Killough National Schools - (Male) - Teacher, M. Buckley; (female) - Teacher, Miss Denvir; assistant, Miss Crocker
Police Barrack - Sergeant McPhillip
Shiels Institution - G. M. Swail, superintendent

PLACES OF WORSHIP

Church of Ireland - Rev. J. O'Flaherty, rector
R.C. Chapel - Rev. J. McShane, P.P.
Methodist Church - Rev. Jas. Frazer, minister (attends fortnightly from Downpatrick)

INHABITANTS

Beere, Rev. G., Bright Rectory
Branney, Thos., grocer, farmer and car owner
Brown, Archibald, land steward
Browne, General A. S. M., St. John's Point
Buckley, M., school teacher
Burns, Hugh, retired mariner
Burton, Wm., publican

Carson, Matilda, Ballylig, farmer
Cargil, Samuel, shoe maker
Chambers, Thomas, farmer
Christian, Mrs. M. J. 
Connelly, James, car owner
Crangle, John, master mariner
Crawford, W., Rossglass, farmer
Cummie, Dr. S. S. P.

Davidson, Mrs. Jane
Davidson, Mrs. Ellen, grocer
Denvir, Mrs. S., The Square

English and Scottish Law Life Office - Agent, C. R. Kelly

Finlay, Hugh, estate bailiff harbour master
Forsythe, James, Bright, postmaster and grocer
Frew, Thomas

Galway, John, station master
Griffin, Thos., chief light keeper, St. John's Point

Hanna, Mrs. E., grocer
Hawthorn, Chas., farmer
Hawthorn, Robert, farmer
Hinds, Thomas, publican
Hughes, Thomas, flesher
Hughes, Wm., farmer and mill owner
Hunter, Miss F., The Stores and bungalow
Hunter, N., provision and general merchant

Keating, James, retired C.G., officer
Kelly, C. R., J.P., potato, grain and coal merchant

Lynn, Joseph, grocer

Martin, S. B., solicitor, The Square
Montgomery, John, postmaster and farmer
Montgomery, Geo., farmer, Ballygilbert
Moore, Mrs. J., farmer, Ballyligg
Moore, Mrs. E., farmer, Ballyligg
Moore, Mrs. S., farmer, Ballyligg
Moore, W. H., farmer
Morgan, Wm., Park Hotel
Murphy, Francis, spirit and general merchant
Murphy, James, grocer and farmer
Mulvenny, Geo., shoe maker
Munce, James
Munce, Mrs. E., Harbour View
Munce, Mrs. M. A., Sunnyside

McCance, W. J., carpenter
McClure, Wm., blacksmith
McComiskey, A. W. S., B.M., The Square
McComiskey, Mrs. E., The Square
McConvey, Patk., farmer
McConville, J.
McCormick, Patk., blacksmith
McCullough, Wm., farmer
McGonigle, James, retired C.G.
McMahon, Michael, farmer
McMurray, John, flesher and car owner
McLean, Patk., farmer
McVeigh, John

Nelson, Robert, farmer
Nelson, Mrs. M., The Square

Oliver, George, retired C.G.

O'Flaherty, Rev. J., The Glebe

Ranaghan, Thomas, farmer
Ranaghan, Nicholas
Robinson, Benjamin, farmer
Ryan, Patrick

Scott, A., flesher
Seeds, Moses, farmer
Smith, Wm., farmer
Spiers, Henry, farmer
Starkey, James, publican
Steele, Mrs. B., Marine Villa
Straney, James, farmer
Straney, Robt., farmer
Swail, G. M., Shiels Institution

Tier, Mrs. G., farmer

Vaughan, James, mariner
Vokes, Miss, Bangor Arms Hotel

Williams, Mrs. A.
Wood, Robert, farmer and steam threshing mill owner

KILLYBEGS

This is a delightfully situated seaport town, surrounded by rugged and picturesque scenery on the properties of Mr. H. G. Murray Stewart and Mr. R. Tyler Bustard, about fourteen miles from Donegal and fifty from Londonderry, of the whole of which first-named property Mr. Arthur Brooke, J.P., Whitehouse, Killybegs, is agent.  It has one of the finest harbours in Ireland, the largest ships of war being able to anchor with safety close to the town; also its land-locked position renders it the chief harbour of refuge on the north-west coast, and it is extensively used as such.  Killybegs is rapidly improving.  The railway from Donegal - three services each way daily, Sunday excepted - will undoubtedly make the town a favourite watering-place.  A new pier runs out about 300 feet at high water; rails extend from railway terminus to end of pier, so that vessels may load or discharge into or from railway waggons; all necessary appliances fitted on the pier.  As for bathing and boating it cannot be surpassed, the harbour being safe for sailing at nearly all seasons.  Sportsmen will find plenty of amusement in the shooting and fishing, widgeon and wild duck being plentiful in the winter season.  The town is exceptionally well built, and contains some handsome edifices, the most prominent of which are the Church of Ireland, Catholic Church, Murray Stewart Schools, and Niall Mor National School.  Within a mile from Killybegs are situated the beautiful house and demesne of Fintra, the residence of Mr. A. Parsons-Guy.  It lies at the foot of Crownaread, and has a lovely strand of a mile in length, from which the place derives its name.  Five and a half miles distant are the caves of Muckross, and ten miles distant the celebrated cliffs of Slieve League, which are said to be the finest in Europe, several of which have a sheer face down to the sea, and are upwards of 1,900 feet in height.  A lighthouse stands at the entrance to Killybegs Harbour, and another at St. John's Point, four miles distant, protects the outer coasts.  This is a station for H.M. cruisers.  Two mails are received daily, and two are despatched.  A fair is held on the 6th of each month; a weekly market every Friday; a Court of Petty Sessions second Monday in each month.  A flourishing branch of Ulster Bank, Limited, has been established here more than twenty years.  There are three capital hotels, any one of which visitors will find most comfortable.  Population about 800.  Celebrated for salmon, herring, mackrel, (mackerel) cod, ling, turbot, sole, and plaice fishing.  There is an extensive carpet factory at the west end of the town, now in full working order, lighted by electricity, which gives employment for 400 girls - a branch establishment of Messrs. A. Morton & Co., Darvel, Ayrshire, Scotland.  There is also an industrial school at West End, under the management of the Rev. J. J. O'Donnell, with accommodation for 200 boys.

Agricultural Bank - Secretary, Mr. P. A. Mulreany
Agriculturist - W. Cunningham, Fintra House
Auctioneer - Wm. Houston
Bakers - C. Rogers, P. Conwell
Bank - Ulster Banking Co.; J. Harris, manager; cashier, J. A. Thompson
Blacksmith - Daniel McBreaty & Son
Boot and Shoe Makers - T. Kenny, T. McHugh, F. Boyle, J. Brogan, P. Erskine
Builders - David Cunnea, J. Brogan, P. Erskine, P. Doherty, B. Mullan
Butchers - J. Dorian, Patrick Dorian, Joseph McGettigan
Butter Merchant, Wm. Houston

Carpenters - Barney Mullan, J. Darcus, Edward Erskine, J. Campbell & Sons
Civil Bill Officer - Frank Byrne
Clergy - Rev. C. H. Pelly, rector; Rev. J. Sweeney, P.P.; Rev. M. Ward, C.C.
Coal Merchant - C. Rogers
Coastguards - John Gunn, divisional officer; J. Haggarty, station officer and five men
Cooper - John Campbell
Dispensary - Dr. J. W. Gallagher
Drapers - John McGarrigle, N. McLoone, Miss Dudgeon, W. Conwell, Thos. Conwell, Stranley; Jno. Ward & Co., Michael Coane, Miss Campbell
Dressmakers - Mrs. Blain, Miss S. Dudgeon, the Misses Campbell, the Misses McBrearty, Miss Gannon, Mrs. McMullan, Ann Keeny
Emigration Agent - Charles Rogers
English and Scottish Law Life Office - Agents, J. C. ward, Faidfannan House; Andrew McLorne, Merchant
Grocers - Myles, Brady, Bridget Conwell, James McIntyre, Owen Cunningham, William Conwell, E. Conwell, Anthony O'Donnell, John Ward & Co., Thomas Conwell, Strathleny; Michael Gillespie, John McGarrigle, Charles Rogers
Hotels - Rogers's and Coane's
Resident Gentry - Arthur Parsons Guy, Fintra House; Thomas C. Hope, Hope Mount; G. G. Philipps, Commander R.N., J.P., Rockmount
Donegal Railway Co. - J. Hanlon, stationmaster; Chas. O'Donnell, clerk
Carpet Manufactory - Alexander Morton & Co., proprietors, of Darvel, Ayrshire; ?. Struthers, manager, Killybeg
Harbour Commissioners - Most Rev. Dr. O'Donnell, Rev. W. S. Green, M.A.; Rev. J. Sweeney, P.P.; Sir James Musgrave, Bart., D.L.; G. G. Philipps, commander R.N., J.P.; J. A. Pomeroy, J.P.; Charles Rogers, J.P., secretary; Patrick Quinn, harbour master
Inland Revenue and Stamp Office - Charles Rogers, stamp distributor
Insurance Agents - Caledonian Accident Insurance Association of Scotland, Chas. Rogers; Commercial Union, Wm. Houston; Sun, C. E. Rogers
Ironmongers - Michael Gillespy, J. McGarrigle, Owen Cunningham
Leather Dealers - J. Kenny, Francis Boyle
Magistrates - Arthur Brooke, Samuel Cassidy, Dr. J. W. Gallagher, Charles Rogers, T. Hamilton Gorringe, G. G. Philipps, Commander, R.N.; J. Rogers, John Byrne, Hugh O'Donnell
Newsagents - Charles Rogers
Petty Sessions - Clerk, Henry Judge
Post Office - Telegraph, Money Order and Savings Bank - Charles Rogers, postmaster
R.I. Constabulary - Sergeant Fallon, Acting Sergeant, and seven constables
Schools - Murray National, Mrs. Houston, principal; Nial Mor National, Mr. Mulreany, principal; Mrs. Carr, assistant; St. Columba's Industrial, Rev. J. J. O'Donnell, manager
Shipwrecked Fishermen & Mariners' Society - Agent, Charles Rogers
Spirit Dealers - Charles Rogers, J. Gatins, Thos. Conwell, Straleny; Michael Gillespy, Pat. Conwell, B. Coane, James Murrin, P. Quinn, Michael Coane and Francis Boyle
Steamship Coasting (Derry, Sligo, and Killybegs) - Agent, Charles Rogers
Tailors - Patrick McIntyre, Michael McKay
Timber and Deal Merchants - Charles Rogers and Jno. Ward & Co.

KILLYLEAGH

A seaport, and formerly a market town and Parliamentary borough, in the County of Down about sixteen miles S.E. from Belfast, situated at the head of a creek on the west shore of Strangford Lough, on the road from Downpatrick to Belfast. There are two extensive linen yarn spinning mills, containing 40,000 spindles, and employing 1,500 hands.  The Hamiltons, created Lords Clandeboye, and subsequently Earls of Clanbrassil, formerly resided in an ancient castle at one extremity of the town.  It is now the residence of the Hamilton family, who, with the Marquis of Dufferin and Ava, own the town and estate contiguous.  The magistrates assemble in Petty Sessions monthly.  The church is a handsome cruciform structure, with a tower, surmounted by a spire of good proportions.  It was originally erected in 1640, but in 1812 was rebuilt, and has recently been much extended.  There are two Presbyterian churches, a Methodist chapel, a Roman Catholic chapel, and two national schools.  Sir Hans Sloan, the celebrated naturalist and physician, was born here on the 16th April, 1660, and the house in which he was born, in Back Street, was some years ago taken down and another erected in its stead.  The market was formerly held every Friday.  The Downpatrick branch of the Ulster Bank has an agency here on every Friday.  Fairs, 10th April and 11th October.  Shrigley Mills and the town contained, in 1869, 2,730 inhabitants. Shrigley Mills, the site of one of the flax spinning mills adjoining Killyleagh, has a population on 1,021; former proprietor, Mr. John Martin, J.P., now owned by a Limited Liability Company, under the title of John Martin, Limited.  There is attached to the mill an infant school and mixed school, under the National Board.  The income from house property alone at Shrigley Mill is upwards of a thousand pounds annually.  The town was erected by the late Mr. J. Martin, and the houses are all occupied by the workers of John Martin, Limited.  The mill, schools, and dwellings would well repay the inspection of visitors; they are, indeed, an ornament and credit to the neighbourhood.  Population, 1891, ?,835

PLACES OF WORSHIP

Church of Ireland - Parish Church, Churchill Street, Rev. Richard Ray, A.B., rector
First Presbyterian Church, Plantation Street - Rev. J. R. McCleery, Riverdale manse.  Second Presbyterian Church, Catherine Street - Rev. A. McCreery, Seaside Manse
Primitive Methodist Chapel, Shore Street - Ministers various
Roman Catholic Chapel, Irish Street - Rev. E. Quinn, C.C.

PUBLIC INSTITUTIONS

National School and Lecture Room, in connection with Second Presbyterian Congregation, Irish Street - John Davison, teacher; Miss Gilmore and Miss Lowther, assistants
Killyleagh National School - John L. Doak, teacher; Mrs. McMeekan and Miss Thompson, assistants
Killyleagh Gas Co. Limited - Capital, 2,000
Post and Stamp Office, High Street - Mrs. H. S. Guiney, postmistress and distributor
Constabulary Station, Shore Street - Sergeant Hughes
Masonic Hall, Cross Street
Orange Hall, Irish Street
Cooke Memorial Hall, Plantation Street
English and Scottish Law Life Office - Agents, John L. Doak, N.S. teacher; John Morrow, High Street; Robert Hart, High Street
Phoenix Fire Office - Agent, John L. Doake
The Northern Fire Assurance Company - Mrs. H. S. Quiney, agent

INHABITANTS

Bailie, Mrs., Ringdufferin
Bebe, Charles, manager (T. Sinton & Sons)
Begley, George, manager Shrigley Mill
Breeze, Mrs.
Brown, John, Tullychin
Brown, William, Tullychin

Carr, Joseph, J.P., Gocean

Davison, Miss, Dunmore
Doherty, Mrs.
Dufferin and Ava, Marquis of

Gilmore, David, The Strand
Gilmore, J. M., The Course
Gordon, Alexander, Delamont and Florida
Gordon, Alexander H., J.P., Delamont House, agent to the Hamilton estates
Gourley, James, J.P., Derryboy Cottage, Killyleagh

Hamilton, Gawn R., J.P., D.L., Killyleagh
Heron, Francis, Irish Street and Ardigon House
Heron, James, J.P., Tullyveery House

Kyle, Wm. J., manager Shrigley grocery store

Lawther, James, Annsfield
Lindsay, Wm., horticulturist and nursery man
Lowry, Hugh, Maymore

Martin, Edward Downs, Shrigley House
Mason, Patrick, bookkeeper, Shrigley Office
Millar, Mrs., draper, etc., Shrigley
Murphy, J. H. Burke, agent to the Dufferin and Ava estates

McCleery, Rev. J. R., Riverdale Manse
McCreery, Rev. A., Seaside Manse
McKelvey, John, Dufferin Villas

Patterson, James, Beechpark

Ray, Rev. Richard, M.A.
Ringland, S. B., J.P., Ballytrim House

Shaw, Wm. C., surgeon and apothecary, High Street
Sinton, Arthur, Dufferin Place
Sproule, R. H., M.D. and surgeon, medical officer of dispensary, Catherine Street

Thomson, Miss, Dufferin Villas

Wilson, Mrs. David, Grocer, etc., Shrigley

Back Street

Caffrey, Captain, Dufferin Place
Bailie, Mrs., Dufferin Place
Clerk, Henry, shoe maker
Dick, John, carter
Fee, Wm. J., carter
Gordon, Arthur, mechanic
Howe, Mrs. Wm., Dufferin Place
King, Susan, dress maker
Magee, James, carter
Magilton, Mrs. R. J., shop keeper
Morrow, Charles, grocer and ship owner and harbour master
McCardell, John, haberdasher
McCrea, Allen, tinsmith
McCurry, John, Dufferin Place
McMath, James, Dufferin Place
Skillen, Robert, seaman
Sullivan, George, mechanic
Sullivan, James, reeling master
Sullivan, Matthew, tailor

Catherine Street

Allen, Miss, dress maker and shop keeper
Boyd, Jacob, boatman
Keenan, Walter, grocer
Madine, Robert, flesher
Morrison, Michael
McCausland, James, Hamilton Arms Hotel
McCausland, John, Merchant and Ship owner
Ogle, John, carpenter
Sullivan, Wm., mechanic
Tweedie, J. F., carpenter

Churchill Street

Flynn, Robert, shoe maker
Gibson, James, carpenter
Heaney, James
Holland, Joseph, coachman
Holland, Mrs. James
McClurg, John, blacksmith

Cross Street

Bain, James, hair dresser
Calvert, Samuel, hardware, plate dealer, etc.
Jess, John, preparing master
Kirk, Francis, grocer
Morrow, Mrs., spirit dealer
McKnight, John, carpenter and builder
Neill, Mrs., florist
Sutherland, Alexander, carpenter

High Street

Barr, Jas., spirit dealer, Dufferin Arms Hotel
Barr, James, flesher
Calvert, Thomas, Grocer
Calvert, Wm. J., tailor
Carlisle, Robert, grocer
Doak, J. L., teacher N.S.
Doherty, Mrs.
Falkner, James, hardware merchant
Field, Mary
Frazer, Mrs., grocer
Furey, James, grocer
Furey, Wm., grocer and smith
Guiney, Mrs. H. S., postmistress, haberdasher, and woollen draper and agent for the "Belfast Weekly News"
Hall, William, saddler
Hamilton, James, cashier, T. Sinton & Sons
Hart, R., draper and car owner
Hastings, Robert, chemist
Heaney, James, hair dresser
Lawther, The Misses, milliners
Lowry, James, summons server
Lowry, Mrs. H., haberdasher and draper
Mathews, John, tailor
McCartney, John, watch maker and jeweller
McGloin, James, haberdasher
Patterson, D. R., Spirit Dealer and Grocer
Patterson, Miss, milliner
Rodgers, Samuel, spirit dealer
Scott, Andrew, insurance agent and restaurant
Shaw, Mrs., inn keeper
Stothart, Henry, carrier
Steel, John, shop keeper
Walker, Susan, confectioner

Irish Street

Anderson, Thomas, blacksmith
Blakely, Francis, carter
Davison, John, teacher N.S.
Heron, Francis
Magill, Samuel
McClurg, Thomas, spinning master
O'Neill, Samuel, dealer
Scott, Wm. John, machinist

Shore Street

Bennett, Wm., seaman
Bridges, Samuel, flax dresser
Dines, George, labourer
Jamieson, Misses, dress makers
Kelly, Wm., flax dresser
Holland, James, draper, etc.
Lowry, Hugh, Castle Yard Dairy
Magill, John
Maginn, Robert, flax dresser
Morrow, Mrs., dress maker
McCabe, Robert, flax dresser
McClurg, Adam, boatman
McClurg, A., grocer and ship owner
McClurg, Captain Wm., ship owner
McClurg, William James, flesher
McCurry, Robert, grocer, Irish Street
McMeekin, Mrs., assistant teacher N.S.
McMillan, Miss, milliner
McMillan, Thomas, seaman
Nicholson, James, dealer
Skillen, James, shoe maker
Sturgeon, George, boatman

Plantation Street

Allen, Wm., gardener
Bruce, Mrs. William
Cairns, Samuel, flax dresser
Casement, Samuel, labourer
Doyle, Hugh, shoe maker
Kennedy, John, labourer
Kennedy, Wm., labourer
Martin, Mrs.
Martin, James, mechanic
Moorehead, David
Young, Joseph, sexton

FARMERS

Anderson, Thomas, blacksmith, Toye
Beattie, David, Tullynery
Bingham, John
Breeze, Charles
Breeze, Thomas
Brown, Miss, Ballygoskin
Calvert, Wm., Tullyvery
Clarke, Samuel, Tullyvery
Coulter, James, Cardigon
Craig, James, Ballytrim
Farrell, William
Farrell, Wm., Merview Cottage
Furey, Samuel
Gibson, John, Toye
Gilmore, David
Gilmore, John
Gilmore, Robt., The Firth
Harper, Miss, Castle View
Harper, Robert, Maymore House
Heaney, Mrs. William, Tullychin
Hutchinson, Wm., Tullymacknows
Lawther, William
Lawther, James, Annsfield
Lowry, Hugh
Lyons, John, Woodview
Millar, William John, Merview Cottage
Moore, the Misses, The Terrace, Tullymacknows
Morrison, Robert, Woodland House
Morow, John L., teacher and farmer, Ardigon
McCartan, John, Tullychin
McClelland, Alexander, The Firth
McGiffert, John
McKee, Alexander, The Strand
Patterson, Isaac, Corporation
Patterson, Robert, Corporation
Reid, Alexander, Ardigon
Ringland, James, pork merchant
Robinson, John, Lake View
Robinson, Samuel, Ballytrim
Robinson, Thomas, Mullock
Stevenson, Hans
Stevenson, John
Thompson, Robert, Tullyvery
Wallace, Mrs., Tullyvery
Weaver, James, Ardigon
Weaver, John, Ballytrain
Young, Thomas

KILREA

Is a thriving town in the County of Londonderry, with a population of about 1,000 inhabitants, situate on the River Bann, between forty and fifty miles from Belfast, on the central road through the County of Londonderry, and on the property of the Worshipful Mercers' Company, of London.  Three markets are held each week - on Tuesday for grass-seed, Wednesday for sale of general produce, and on Thursday for oats and oatmeal.  The monthly fair is held on the second Wednesday of each month, and to meet the requirements of the district a second cattle market has been established on the fourth Wednesday of each month, which has proved very successful.  There is ample market accommodation and storage, which is the gift of the owners of the soil.  A Court of Petty Sessions is held on the first Monday of each month.  The Derry Central Railway Station adjoins the town.  The Mercers' Hotel has been rebuilt by the Mercers' Company.  It presents a fine appearance, no expense having been spared in its erection.  It also contains great accommodation, and has attracted a large number of visitors, both commercial men and sportsmen, the latter for the far-famed salmon and trout fishing of the Bann.

Post Office - J. T. Dripps, postmaster

PLACES OF WORSHIP

Church of Ireland - Rev. A. E. Sixsmith, A.B., rector.  Hervey Hill - Rev. J. N. Nevill, A.B., rector.  Killylagh (Swateragh) - Rev. G. Sweetman, rector
First Presbyterian Church - Rev. Jas. Stewart, B.A.
Second Presbyterian Church - Rev. A. Gallagher
Boveedy Presbyterian Church - Rev. W. J. Hill, B.A.
Boveedy United Presbyterian Church - Vacant
Roman Catholic Chapel - Revs. Jas. McGuigan and Bernard O'Loughlin

PUBLIC INSTITUTIONS

Northern Banking Co. Limited - Joseph Anderson, manager; W. Wilkinson, cashier
Dispensary - James Lennox, M.D., J.P.
Mercers' Co.'s Office - Captain A. M. Armstrong, J.P., agent; George Kidd, assistant
Estate Surveyor - W. J. Given
Y.M.C.A. - Rev. A. Gallagher, chairman
National Schools - Male, Jas. Tomb, teacher; Robert John McFadden, assistant.  Female, Mrs. Tomb, teacher; Miss McFadden, assistant.  Boveedy - T. Simpson.  Movanagher - Mrs. Wilson and Mr. McIlrath.  Reastown - R. Kilpatrick
Petty Sessions Office, Courthouse - J. Hay, Coleraine, clerk
Magistrates - Captain A. M. Armstrong, Culmore House, chairman; T. S. Ash, The Manor House; Charles Rogers, Lisnagrot; and Dr. Lennox
Commissioners for taking Affidavits - Jas. Hay and Joseph Bamford
Loan Fund - Treasurer, Rev. F. McGuigan; trustees, Rev. Jas. Stewart and Mr. David Tomb; clerk, Mr. George Kidd; assistant clerk, Mr. W. H. H. McChleery (McCleery)
Hotel Keepers - Mercers' Hotel, P. C. Conland; Commercial, Joseph Irwin; Railway Temperance Hotel, James Rainey
Clerk of Markets - James Gracey
Constabulary - Sergeant McCausland and four constables
Rate Collector - R. A. Sinclair
Doctors - Jas. Lennox, M.D., and S. J. Bolton
Veterinary Surgeon - John Paul
Solicitors - Robert Liddle, J. H. Tomb
Emigration Agents - Joseph Irwin and Joseph Bamford
Insurance Agents - London Corporation and Royal, David Tomb; North British and Mercantile, J. T. Dripps
Newsagents - David Tomb, J. T. Dripps, and Joseph Bamford & Co.

INHABITANTS

Adams, A., grocer
Adams, John, draper
Adams, T., grocer
Archibald, J., draper
Armstrong, S., carpenter
Atkinson, T., grocer and hardware

Bamford, J., drapers, millinery, undertaker and auctioneer
Bloomfield, J., saddler
Bradley, R., grocer

Campbell, James, butcher
Campbell, John, butcher
Campbell, Thomas, carpenter
Craig, W., grain merchant and miller; District Councillor
Creelman, W., baker and confectioner

Dallas, G., watch maker and photographer
Darragh, The Misses, grocers
Diamond, E., publican
Diamond, J., mason
Dripps, J. T., draper, haberdasher and distributor of fishing licenses

English and Scottish Law Life and Phoenix Fire Office - Agents, Capt. A. M. Armstrong, J.P.; Joseph Bamford, The Emporium

Gardiner, R., draper
Graham, John, jun., publican
Graham, John, sen., publican
Greer, S. J., auctioneer

Henderson, H. Y., grocer, baker and hardware merchant
Henry, John, cooper
Henry, J.
Holmes, Robert, shoe maker
Holmes, W., posting establishment
Hunter, Mrs. James, dress maker

Irwin, Joseph, publican and hotel keeper

Jamieson, J. H., Movanagher House
Jamieson, Robert, The Villa, Movanagher
Johnston, T., blacksmith and timber merchant

Kane, Henry, cattle dealer
Kane, Patrick, flesher
Kane, Robert, baker
Kane, Robert, publican
Kennedy, J., publican and flax merchant
Kerr, Samuel, hair dresser
Knipe, J.
Knipe, Miss
Knox, A., blacksmith

Michael, James, grocer
Millen, Miss, grocer
Mitchell, James, tailor
Mooney, Miss, dress maker and milliner
Moran, P., grocer and flax merchant

McAlister, A., tailor
McAllen, J., shoe maker
McAtamney, E., shoe maker
McCahon, D., grocer
McCahon, John, draper and merchant tailor
McCahon, Miss, milliner
McCahon, W., grocer
McCartney, John, publican
McCloy, J., grocer
McCurdy, Mrs., grocer
McDonald, W., carpenter
McFadden, J., shoe maker
McFadden, R., town postman and whitesmith
McGonigle, J., grain merchant
McGraw, C., flax merchant
McGraw, P., carpenter
McIlwrath, Wm., The Schools, Movanagher
McKeefry, Francis, grocer
McKeefry, Mrs. Margaret, publican
McKeown, T., tailor
McLoughlin, P., grocer
McMullan, J., painter and publican
McReynolds, Jas., tailor
McRory, T., publican
McShane, J., butcher

O'Fee, S., cooper and grocer
O'Kane, F., draper
O'Kane, J., temperance hotel keeper

Patterson, Joseph, shoe maker
Phoenix Fire Office - Agents, William Craig, Kilrea Mills; George Kidd, Captain A. M. Armstrong, Kilmore House; Joseph Bramford, The Emporium; S. J. Lyle, Manor House

Rea, George, watch maker

Smyth, John, grocer and seed merchant
Stewart, Geo., grocer
Stewart, M., dealer in clothes

Thompson, Miss, draper and haberdasher
Tiltherington, W., civil bill officer
Tomb, David, grocer, insurance agent and seed merchant; District Councillor
Torrens, Saml., Lower Tamlaght

Walker, Robert, shoe maker
Wallace, Samuel, The Leap
Williamson, J., saddler
Wilson, Mrs., The Schools, Movanagher
Woods, W. W., draper

RASHARKIN
Three miles from Kilrea

Post Office - John Elder
Church of Ireland - J. H. Martin, LL.D.
Presbyterian Minister - W. J. Jameson, B.A.
Roman Catholic Chapel - Revs. F. McAllisher, P.P., and Fr. O'Reilly, C.C.
Dispensary - Dr. Keers, J.P.
Magistrates - Chairman, Captain A. M. Armstrong, Culmore House, and Dr. Keers, Donovan House, Rasharkin
Delargy, Charles, publican and undertaker
Macaulay, Mrs., publican
McAfee, Daniel, publican
McHenry, Jas., P.L.G., general merchant and farmer
Taylor, Harvey J., Moneyleek
Tohill, Wm., butcher
Wallace, Daniel
Wallace, W. J., general merchant and farmer

BALLYMACONNELLY
one and a half miles from Kilrea

Post Office and Inn, James McLaughlin
Keery, James, Keersville
McLaughlin, James, jun., auctioneer
Foster, David, View Park
Smyrell, George

KINGSCOURT

The Town of Kingscourt is situated in the South-East of County Cavan, and is fast gaining a place in the front rank as a commercial town.  Of late years many of the merchants have greatly enlarged their premises, and the main street now presents a striking contrast to what it was some years ago.  Its increasing prosperity is no doubt accounted for by its being in good communication with large centres, as it is but two hours' run on the Midland Great Western Railway to Dublin, and the new line from Keady and Armagh will connect it with the north; and it is universally anticipated that this little town has but began its prosperous career.  A fair is held once monthly, on first Tuesday of the month; markets, once weekly.  A short distance from the town are brickworks, which give employment to a good number of inhabitants and to those of the surrounding district.  the postal arrangements are good, there being two mails despatched daily.  The Northern and Hibernian Banks have both agencies, twice weekly, from Bailieboro and Navan respectively.  The chief attraction in the neighbourhood is the beautiful grounds and demesne leading to Cabra Castle; its beauty is much admired and appreciated by a large number of tourists in the summer months.  The nearest Presbyterian Church is Ervey, under three miles distant.

Places of Worship - Presbyterian - Erney, about three miles distant; Church of Ireland - Rev. Knox, rector; Roman Catholic - Rev. Joseph Flood, P.P.
Schools - No. 1, P. Brady, teacher; Cabra infant, Mrs. E. O'Connor and George Boyd, teachers
Roman Catholic Parochial Hall - Rev. J. Flood, P.P., president
I.O.G.T. Society - Rev. Hart, president
Post Office Telegraph, Money Order, and Savings Bank - J. Nichol, postmaster

INHABITANTS

Armstrong, Henry, publican
Armstrong, J. W., farmer

Ball, Denis, merchant
Bartrum, Thomas, grocer
Bruce, Michael, publican

Callan, Mrs. E., hotel keeper
Carolan, Luke, victualler

Dempsey, Dr. P. J., dispensary doctor
Donegan, Matthew, merchant
Duffy, Myles, grocer, publican and seed merchant

Faulkner, P., grocer and rate collector

Gargan, Pat., grocer
Gaynor, James, publican
Gelston, W. H., J.P.
Gogarty, Francis, publican

Irvine, John, hotel keeper

Kearney, John, publican

Mackin, James, publican
Maher, Mrs. T., publican
McKeown, John, grocer
McMahon P., refreshment saloon
McMurray, Thomas, chemist

O'Brien, John, fowl dealer
O'Reilly, Anthony, publican, grocer and hardware merchant
O'Reilly, Joseph, publican
O'Rourke, Pat., publican

Roach, John, fowl dealer

Shackleton, T. H., grocer

Tinnelly, James, cattle dealer

Welloz, Mrs. E., grocer

KIRKCUBBIN

A small seaport in Strangford Lough. It is used for the importation of coal, and for the export of grain and potatoes.  The town consists principally of a main street, in which are quite a number of good houses.  It has a constabulary station.  The places of worship are - Trinity Church (Church of Ireland), and a Presbyterian Church.  The Roman Catholic Chapel is within a mile, pleasantly situated at Nuns Quarter.  Two National Schools - one under Presbyterian management and one under the parish priest.  Population, about 700.  The "Herron Hall," built by the late John Herron, Esq., J.P., Liverpool, is a handsome structure, and is open for the public of all denominations.

Post Office and Telegraph Office - Thomas Shaw, postmaster
Constabulary Station - Sergeant Thos. Morton
Harbour Master - William Gaw
Trinity Church - Rev. Charles Johnson
Presbyterian Church - Rev. Samuel Hawthorne
Roman Catholic Church - Rev. L. McKenna, P.P.

INHABITANTS

Allen, W. P., Nunsquarter House

Blakely, Robert, publican
Bogan, James, N.S. teacher
Boyd, James, cycle agent
Boyd, William, posting establishment
Brown, Wm., N.S. teacher

Carrick, W. E., Lakeview
Connor, Hugh, posting establishment

Daly, Rev. J., Methodist minister, Glastry
Dunleith, Lord, Tubber House

Gilmore, Hugh, & Sons, grain and potato merchants
Gilmore, Mrs. Charles, grocer
Glover, James, N.S. teacher
Gree, Rev. George S., The Glebe House

Hawthorne, Rev. Samuel, The Manse

Johnston, Rev. Charles, The Parsonage

Keenan, Samuel, publican

Ledley, E. J., publican
Lliff, J. H., draper and grocer

Macauley, Matthew, M.D.
Mawhinney, Andrew, butcher
Maxwell, Bros., potato and general merchants
Maxwell, James, M.R.C.B.
Maxwell, ?, draper and grocer, etc.
Millar, William, publican
Moore, Ellen, publican
Moore, Miss, milliner, etc.

McCormack, John, carpenter, etc.
McGeean, Mrs., dress maker
McGeean, P. J., cycle agent
McGeean, Thomas, saddler
McGrath, Hugh, blacksmith
McKee, John, Glebe Farm

Palmer, Adam

Rankin, James, Rocklands

Sealey, E. J., Ship Hotel
Shaw, David, mill owner, Glastry
Shaw, Thomas, J.P.
Sinclair, Robert, & Son, butchers

Turney, Andrew, spirit merchant

Workman, Rev. Robert, Rubane House